Maya Key Private Island or Big French Key Honduras

BarbC

• 4 months later...
On 7/11/2022 at 11:28 AM, BarbC said:

trying to choose between these two options for our time in Rotan Honduras.  Has anyone done either of these though RC excursions.  

Have you visited the island yet? We just boooked Maya Key and was wondering if that was your choice? If so, what was you opinion?

I have yet to go to either. However, I did book Maya Key for next August (2023) due to online reviews. Maya appears to have a good mix of land-based (local culture museums and reproduced Mayan ruins, gardens, and rescued animals) and aquatic (pool, reef snorkeling, and beaches) activities; the buffet lunch apparently offers up a variety of local options and is praised. It's also a short boat ride from the cruise pier with boats running throughout the day. Big French Key appears to be more of a traditional beach day with the bonus of a nifty snorkeling site of Mayanlantis. 

Maya Key's homepage: https://www.mayakey.com/

Big French Key's homepage: https://www.bigfrenchkeyroatan.com/bigfrenchkey

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/29/2022 at 9:54 AM, LizzyBee23 said:

Little French Key has quite a bit of drama on FB... Just started looking for excursions next summer.

Wow! Thank you for mentioning this. I was seriously looking into booking an excursion to Little French Key until I looked at their FB page.

On 12/22/2022 at 10:44 AM, Katherin said:

Wow! Thank you for mentioning this. I was seriously looking into booking an excursion to Little French Key until I looked at their FB page.

Personally I would stay away from Little French Key.  The time we went pre-covid it was WAY overcrowded so we couldn't even get a chair much less food or a drink (think pool day on a sea day but 10x worse somehow).  We headed back to the ship after less than 2 hours it was so miserable.  Later found out they don't limit the amount of people they will sell a pass to which explained a lot.  Personally I will never go back and try to warn everyone I can.

• 3 months later...

Yes, we’ve been to the French Maya Key area.  We really enjoyed the solitude on the beach and the joy in the water.

Our excursion included the transportation, a meal, a native meal time on the beach, and a beautiful walk over to the animal sanctuary

We got to hold the monkeys and see the other animals.

Well worth it and we’re going to repeat it here again at the end of April 2023.