Cruising out of Galveston?

Ok…new question.  I’m helping my daughter plan her honeymoon cruise and it looks like harmony might be what she goes with…weird after her dad and I booked but just how it is working with her dates in October 2023.  My question is that harmony does a western itinerary that is $500 less than the eastern.  What’s significant (she likes the eastern better but can have fun at either) is that the cheaper cruise goes out of Galveston.  Can anyone share their opinion on that port?   We’ve never cruised out of Galveston.  How much of a pain is it to get to the port?  If you fly in at least a day early, where do you stay (near the airport or the port)?  Is the getting to open sea a big deal with the limited bar?  Are there any pluses to Galveston vs Miami?  Thanks for any input!  Jane

13 minutes ago, Mark_A said:

read this - everything about Galveston in one place!!

I do remember reading this before years ago and now have the link again.  Thank you.  Any other new updates I should know?  I remember they were updating everything there but don’t remember dates.  Jane

We've sailed out of Galveston many times usually on the Liberty or Freedom.  We fly into Houston as we have relatives there and simply Uber to the ship in the morning.  It is a well designed port making dropping the luggage and boarding easy.  Keep in mind it is a working industrial port so there are container and tanker ships.  It is a deep water port so getting in and out of port is no problem.  We've been east and west but we have no preference, I really think she will be happy either direction.

Bill

10 hours ago, mom2mybugs said:

Ok…new question.  I’m helping my daughter plan her honeymoon cruise and it looks like harmony might be what she goes with…weird after her dad and I booked but just how it is working with her dates next October.  My question is that harmony does a western itinerary that is $500 less than the eastern.  What’s significant (she likes the eastern better but can have fun at either) is that the cheaper cruise goes out of Galveston.  Can anyone share their opinion on that port?   We’ve never cruised out of Galveston.  How much of a pain is it to get to the port?  If you fly in at least a day early, where do you stay (near the airport or the port)?  Is the getting to open sea a big deal with the limited bar?  Are there any pluses to Galveston vs Miami?  Thanks for any input!  Jane

I live in Texas so i cruise out of Galveston all the time. I wouldn't consider Galveston to be a destination port - it's ok for an overnight stay and convenient to many. You can stay inexpensively near the Johnson Space center in the Webster, TX area.  The JSC is worth doing if time allows.  If you want to spend more, there are some nice hotels and restaurants in Galveston.

October is a good time to cruise out of Galveston as it will still be warm (October is basically still summer in Texas).  I would avoid Galveston vs Miami in winter as the first and last day out of Galveston can be cold.  

I'm a bit confused.  I looked up the cruise to make sure I knew which ports--we cruise out of Galveston a lot.  For next October, I'm seeing Adventure with 4/5 nights and Allure with 6/7 nights.  The only thing that is listed is Western itineraries--Roatan, Costa Maya and Cozumel.  FWIW, I do prefer the Eastern ports--Cozumel, Grand Cayman and Falmouth, but we really like beaches.  Galveston is super easy.  We usually fly in the day before and stay with friends.  A lot of the people we cruise with take the airport shuttle through RCCL.  

40 minutes ago, cactusgirl said:

I'm a bit confused.  I looked up the cruise to make sure I knew which ports--we cruise out of Galveston a lot.  For next October, I'm seeing Adventure with 4/5 nights and Allure with 6/7 nights.  The only thing that is listed is Western itineraries--Roatan, Costa Maya and Cozumel.  FWIW, I do prefer the Eastern ports--Cozumel, Grand Cayman and Falmouth, but we really like beaches.  Galveston is super easy.  We usually fly in the day before and stay with friends.  A lot of the people we cruise with take the airport shuttle through RCCL.  

Harmony is out of Miami the last week in October and moves to Galveston I think the first week in November (2023 is what I meant! )  I will go edit that.  I’m glad to hear all the ease of Galveston!   Jane

We drive to Galveston for our cruises. I would get to the island the day before (depending on time of day and day of week) because traffic is pretty heavy on I 45 (the main route to the island) and there has been a lot of construction lately. We usually stay in the Baymont, about $60/night. Clean and nice, but nothing fancy. Like previously stated, the port is easy to get into, whether driving & parking or taking an Uber.

As most of you know I am a big "it's the journey, not the destination" guy. And I can promise everyone that Southeast Texas between Houston and Galveston delivers on the journey part of your vacation. 

Our trip a couple weeks ago we chose to stay in Webster. It was centrally located, 1/2 way there, and kept hotel costs reasonable. It allowed us to eat at a Whataburger, have an absolutely fantastic evening on the boardwalk in Kemah, and make an obligatory stop at Buc-ee's.

There are al lot of things I like about sailing out of Miami, but I gotta tell ya';  sailing out of Galveston is better-- and it's because of the stop at the gas station.

21 minutes ago, bobroo said:

As most of you know I am a big "it's the journey, not the destination" guy. And I can promise everyone that Southeast Texas between Houston and Galveston delivers on the journey part of your vacation. 

Our trip a couple weeks ago we chose to stay in Webster. It was centrally located, 1/2 way there, and kept hotel costs reasonable. It allowed us to eat at a Whataburger, have an absolutely fantastic evening on the boardwalk in Kemah, and make an obligatory stop at Buc-ee's.

There are al lot of things I like about sailing out of Miami, but I gotta tell ya';  sailing out of Galveston is better-- and it's because of the stop at the gas station.

It never ceases to amaze and amuse me the crazy infatuation people have with Buc-ee's. I can't help but smile every time I pass it. One of these days I'll get a chance to stop in. I have to get a t-shirt you know.

41 minutes ago, BB1 said:

It never ceases to amaze and amuse me the crazy infatuation people have with Buc-ee's. I can't help but smile every time I pass it. One of these days I'll get a chance to stop in. I have to get a t-shirt you know.

Be prepared.  Buccees sells nothing you need but everything you can't live without.  Have fun!

Btw, their soft drinks are a bargain. 

In some ways at least for fly in cruise guests a cruise from Galveston and Houston Hobby airport is much like flying into Orlando and cruising from Port Canaveral.  The distance and cost for the commute is similar. 

Orlando has a ton of hotel options near the airport being the mouse capital of the world.  Hotels near Hobby airport are to be avoided.   Galveston Island hotels don't lend themselves to cruise guests so you'll see many comments about staying in between Galveston and the airports.  

Galveston is getting a new cruise terminal so with that con erased it's even more similar to a Florida port.  The biggest drawback for Galveston as a cruise port is the location at the top of the Gulf of Mexico.  To reach anywhere you have to sail across the Gulf both coming and going where as Florida cruise ports are closer to the Bahamas and the Caribbean.    CocoCay for example is an overnight sail from all east coast Florida ports.  Nothing is close to Galveston like there is from Florida.   With a ship like Harmony those sea days across the Gulf aren't really a bad thing.

Oasis class can't tender so there are very few Oasis capable ports within reach of Galveston for a seven night itinerary.  That means there is no east - west "butterfly" alternating itineraries offered for Oasis class from Galveston.  Every week visits the same ports.  That has zero impact when flying in for one cruise as long as you like the Oasis class ports that are offered.

The Texas liquor laws are a minor inconvenience on boarding day only and only until the ship reaches international water a few hours after sail away.

I've done a few cruises from Galveston on two different cruise lines.  Apart from the plane ride I wouldn't hesitate to sail from Galveston again.

February Galveston Sail Away Time Lapse

8 hours ago, twangster said:

In some ways at least for fly in cruise guests a cruise from Galveston and Houston Hobby airport is much like flying into Orlando and cruising from Port Canaveral.  The distance and cost for the commute is similar. 

Orlando has a ton of hotel options near the airport being the mouse capital of the world.  Hotels near Hobby airport are to be avoided.   Galveston Island hotels don't lend themselves to cruise guests so you'll see many comments about staying in between Galveston and the airports.  

Galveston is getting a new cruise terminal so with that con erased it's even more similar to a Florida port.  The biggest drawback for Galveston as a cruise port is the location at the top of the Gulf of Mexico.  To reach anywhere you have to sail across the Gulf both coming and going where as Florida cruise ports are closer to the Bahamas and the Caribbean.    CocoCay for example is an overnight sail from all east coast Florida ports.  Nothing is close to Galveston like there is from Florida.   With a ship like Harmony those sea days across the Gulf aren't really a bad thing.

Oasis class can't tender so there are very few Oasis capable ports within reach of Galveston for a seven night itinerary.  That means there is no east - west "butterfly" alternating itineraries offered for Oasis class from Galveston.  Every week visits the same ports.  That has zero impact when flying in for one cruise as long as you like the Oasis class ports that are offered.

The Texas liquor laws are a minor inconvenience on boarding day only and only until the ship reaches international water a few hours after sail away.

I've done a few cruises from Galveston on two different cruise lines.  Apart from the plane ride I wouldn't hesitate to sail from Galveston again.

February Galveston Sail Away Time Lapse

Thanks…I hadn’t really made the port canaveral connection and that wasn’t a big deal for us.  I actually saw your adventure blog and had Morgan look at it.  Why don’t Galveston hotels lend themselves to cruise guests and why avoid the airport ones?   Just curious….   Jane

No reason whatsoever to avoid a ship that just re-positioned, especially Harmony. With the new terminal opening later this year, leaving out of Galveston will be easy and nice. We leave out of there several times a year and even now it is easy, although living several hours away does make it easier on us. The Galveston hotels do not lend themselves to the cruise industry as the vast majority of the people that visit the island are not there to get on a ship. With the new additional terminal and additional ships leaving from the port that may change in the future.

7 hours ago, mom2mybugs said:

Thanks…I hadn’t really made the port canaveral connection and that wasn’t a big deal for us.  I actually saw your adventure blog and had Morgan look at it.  Why don’t Galveston hotels lend themselves to cruise guests and why avoid the airport ones?   Just curious….   Jane

Historically Galveston hotels cater to guests that are staying on the island as their vacation destination.  Before the shutdown many hotels had minimum stay requirements and with the hotels in high demand from non-cruise guests rates were high.     That changed during Covid with demand off which is how I stayed on the island for the first time.   I don't expect that to last.  

It's not a bad thing.  It's due to its popularity.  

10 hours ago, mom2mybugs said:

There are a handful of hotels that offer park and cruise option.  Most are pretty sketchy and I don't recommend them. 

If you really want to go that way, I've seen banners advertising this option on the Howard Johnson and the Galveston inn and suites.  Give them a call as they may have discontinued this service 

We're sailing out of Galveston for the 1st time next week and are staying only one night at the Clarion Pointe Hotel on the beach right next to the pleasure pier. It was really reasonably priced for our group of 5.   I'm looking forward to our family's 1st time in Galveston and am glad to be staying right on the island.  We don't have to park, though.  Were using Lyft.  I'll have to let you know next week how everything went.

We have cruised out of Galveston many times. We are on Liberty next week and then Allure in November. We have a group going next week and found a nice VRBO property for 6 for much less than three hotel rooms. Since we are driving from Fort Worth, this was a good option for us. We have stayed at the Springhill Suites and it is nice. We will be trying Beachfront Palms in November as they offer cruise parking for the week with a night's lodging.