Port of Los Angeles hotels

We will be sailing out of the Port of LA in November. Suggestions on pre-cruise hotel? Also, we are flying back home via Long Beach Airport. Royal does not offer a transfer to that airport. Suggestions on how to get from the port to airport post-cruise? We are not Lyft or Uber users.

3 hours ago, Melnie1 said:

We will be sailing out of the Port of LA in November. Suggestions on pre-cruise hotel? Also, we are flying back home via Long Beach Airport. Royal does not offer a transfer to that airport. Suggestions on how to get from the port to airport post-cruise? We are not Lyft or Uber users.

Welcome to the boards! Here's a thread with some suggestions: 

We strictly use taxis, and there are always taxis waiting outside a cruise terminal, no need to schedule or call ahead.

20220709_002317.thumb.jpg.ed49a3e9cb177293b5ba56bfe0d2eb6d.jpg20220709_002238.thumb.jpg.e2c7bcc804c9e992f04eb13a2c424696.jpg20220709_002258.thumb.jpg.4d701f98d968878f914eb4ebf16869d9.jpg

I recommend staying in Downtown Long Beach. The port is just opposite of the bridge from there, less than 15 mins away.

Long Beach Yellow Cab https://longbeachyellowcab.com/taxi-rates/ has flat rates. See attached pictures and the rate for San Pedro Cruise Terminal is referring to Port of LA. Also the hotels listed are DLB hotels. 

Another option is using private transportation but it's more expensive. I've used Sav-On multiple times and they are excellent! 

I haven't really seen taxis posted at this port but you can always give them a call once you disembark. The distance from the port to LGB airport is about 20-25 mins depending on traffic.

Edited by Jess4214
Forgot to attach pics

When we cruise we generally prefer Uber over RCCL transfers.  Uber is almost alway cheaper and there are no long waits while the bus loads.  With Uber it is load and go.  I was hesitant to use Uber until we were stranded and didn't have much of a choice. I've been a fan ever since.  Uber sends you a photo of the driver, car type and license number so you know you're in the right car and driver.  I am a retired LEO and suspicious of most things, however I've never felt uncomfortable in an Uber or with the driver.  It is strange to have a driver who doesn't speak english we've never had a problem getting delivered to the correct address.

Bill

22 hours ago, Melnie1 said:

We live in the Los Angeles area--but a little over an hour from the port...So, often, just to keep the stress levels low...and to increase our vacation by a day, we will stay in San Pedro that night before the cruise.

There are two hotels in San Pedro I would (and have) stay in...In fact, weve stayed in both in the last three curises we've taken from San Pedro...

The Doubletree San Pedro

The Crowne Plaza San Pedro

The Crowne Plaza is right in the heart of Downtown San Pedro...Actually walking distnce from the cruise pier (and I have walked it more than once--though the CP also offers a shuttle for $5.50 pp...or an Uber to the pier would also cost only a few dollars)...Within 2-3 blocks of the CP there are several very good, reasonably priced and casual restaurants.  We always end up going to the same two--The Green Onion (Mexican) and the San Pedro Brewing Co. (Brew pub with very ecclectic menu--great Tri-tip sanbdwich!).  Both are within a half a block of the CP.

The Doubletree is in a more serene setting--on the yacht marina a little ways downchannel from the cruise port and downtown...only one good restauyrant (22nd Street Landing--Seafood) nearby...but the hotel will shuttle you for free to restaurants in the SP Downtown area and they will shuttle you for free to the ship.

Downtown Long Beach is 6-8 miles away across the harbor...it has several really good hotels--two Hyatts, the Renaissance, Westin, Hilton and Doubletree...and has a lot of mostly chain, but some local, restaurants...plus a couple of attractions--the Queen Mary and the Aquarium of the Pacific--so it's okay staying there, especially if you have a little extra time and want todo some sightseeing.  But, if you are cruising out of SP and are only looking for a hotel and a dinner, definitely save the extra logistics and stay in San Pedro.

As to transportation, if I were you, I'd really give Uber a shot.  We've become accustomed to it and it has many advantages over taxis...definitely price...but also the ability to know your price before the trip--no meter surprises...and the ability to track your driver and know when they are approaching, to know the car, driver's name and license plate number, to not have to pull out your wallet or credit card...and more...

Good luck...