Diamond Status Strategies

Book during a double points promotion, but that will be extremely rare nowadays. Book suites and you can also get double points. We just made it to diamond during our last cruise, so we will have that status starting with our next cruise. Among the perks is 4 free drinks of your choice each day of your cruise and better discounts on balcony cabins.

Going solo in a cabin gets double points*

solo in a junior suite gets triple points

Two in a suite gets double points

otherwise it is 1 point per night. 

If you are in a relationship, residing in same home, both people as well as kids under 18 will enjoy your crown and anchor status. So if you travelled alone and hit Diamond  all those in your relationship will be Diamond.

*however solo in a solo cabin, found on some ships  is only 1 point per night.

benefits?  4 free drinks per day, 1 free internet day (or use that $ amount towards an internet package price reduction )

Junior (or better) Suites for double points, and yes, it was worth it to me. 

Seems there's not a lot of perks I use for being Diamond, but recently with the use-anywhere 4 free drinks per day, x 2 of us, that is saving me the cost of the deluxe drink package.😀

And now, I'm in the race to be Diamond Plus.  Could have been just about there, but I was baited and switched out of my covid double points offer.🥴

Recently turned diamond. It's heavenly.  Much nicer than I expected. 

My favorite benefits 

4 free drinks per day per diamond member 

Free photo per diamond member 

Diamond lounge is a quiet place to hang out and get a latte

Discounts on balcony cabins and suites. 

Matching status on celebrity means free laundry on celebrity ships

If we get double points for our august cruise, we’ll be at 79.  We’re not sure if we will because it was booked before the shutdown but lifted/shifted during the double points promotion. 

If we don’t get double, we’re ok with it. We’re still on track to hit 80 before our Italy cruise in 2023. 

38 minutes ago, Audrey V. said:

We have about 30 points in our Crown and Anchor. I am wondering what are the best strategies for accumulating points, and if Diamond Status is worth it?

One way us just to cruise all the time. Unfortunately for me, my wife and i both work and my teenager has school. Even If I could afford to cruise every week like some on here, work prevents it.

I was able to use the double points promo that was run during Covid, coupled with some great deals I found on suites to get 28 points on 3 cruises and 14 on 1 during the promo. That put us past diamond and we'll on our way to diamond plus. Unfortunately, that promo is over and is unlikely to be repeated.

The perks are worth pursuing, but not at crazy extra expense. My advice is to cruise as you normally do, but stay with Royal to make your way toward diamond. If you normally do a Balcony, look for a great deal on a Junior Suite. If you always wanted to try a full suite, the points are a nice bonus.

Book in advance to get the best deals, this allows you to cruise more often (assuming you have the time)

22 minutes ago, teddy said:

If we get double points for our august cruise, we’ll be at 79.  We’re not sure if we will because it was booked before the shutdown but lifted/shifted during the double points promotion. 

If we don’t get double, we’re ok with it. We’re still on track to hit 80 before our Italy cruise in 2023. 

If you booked before the cutoff (earlier this year) then it runs on all 2022 cruises. Anything booked now doesn't count.

Slow and steady wins the race or in your case the Diamond.  We cruise when we can and usually in a suite which doubles our points.  When RCCL had the double point special we booked enough greatly discounted cruises to accrue 100 points.  This moved us along way toward making Pinnacle which I can now see at the end of the tunnel.  Keep up the effort and it will come.

Bill

Diamond status saves us about $40-50 per day on various beverages between the two of us (wine, soda, or bottled water).  My wife refuses to have her photo taken, and we really don't see the point to spending extra $$ on this or that to save 10-15%.  If you need the extras, itl's nice to have a discount, but I don't really see the discount as a perk.

The best strategy is to go on itineraries or ships you actually enjoy, regardless of the staterooms you can afford to select.

When I look back at our cruising history, I really don't think about glasses of wine (many of them not that great, to be honest), but about places we've visited or experiences we've shared.

As some have indicated, life interferes with a lot of cruise planning, so enjoy the process rather than the loyalty "destination".  Enjoy your next cruise!

4 hours ago, Pattycruise said:

Two in a suite gets double points

otherwise it is 1 point per night. 

If you are in a relationship, residing in same home, both people as well as kids under 18 will enjoy your crown and anchor status. So if you travelled alone and hit Diamond  all those in your relationship will be Diamond.

*however solo in a solo cabin, found on some ships  is only 1 point per night.

benefits?  4 free drinks per day, 1 free internet day (or use that $ amount towards an internet package price reduction )

so if I buy a voom package, I can get my D+ "free internet time" credited towards what I paid? How do I go about that? We bought the soda+ surf and stream during the Black Friday sale for our Adventure cruise. If I can save more, please tell me how!

24 minutes ago, VeronicaS1970 said:

so if I buy a voom package, I can get my D+ "free internet time" credited towards what I paid? How do I go about that? We bought the soda+ surf and stream during the Black Friday sale for our Adventure cruise. If I can save more, please tell me how!

The reduction is applied to the package when it is purchased onboard,  it is roughly a $27 value for each free day Diamond is 1 free day, Diamond plus is 2 free days.   Keep in mind the online price may be cheaper than doing the onboard purchase

5 hours ago, Pattycruise said:

I thought:  Solo = Double Points;  Suite = Double Points;  and Solo in a Suite = Double Points x Double Points = 4X points.

So as an example for a 7N Solo in a Suite = 28 points.

Is this correct?  Or am I missing something?

17 minutes ago, YOLO said:

I thought:  Solo = Double Points;  Suite = Double Points;  and Solo in a Suite = Double Points x Double Points = 4X points.

So as an example for a 7N Solo in a Suite = 28 points.

Is this correct?  Or am I missing something?

I’ve done solo in a suite during the double points promotion and earned 6 points per night.  3 being  the standard solo points, 6 per night during the double points promotion 

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/how-many-cruise-points-will-i-earn *** note this on in regards to the double points promotion, most people should only pay attention to the first column.

6 hours ago, Pattycruise said:

I called C & A last week to get my fiance(who iis living with me) Diamond status linked to mine. They told me NO! Not unless we are married!

17 minutes ago, Jersey Judie said:

I called C & A last week to get my fiance(who iis living with me) Diamond status linked to mine. They told me NO! Not unless we are married!

I believe you should call back and ask again.  Not every employee is up on their stuff.  If you don’t get the correct answer consider asking for a supervisor. 
2nd to last paragraph and last paragraph https://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/dam/royal/countries/crown-and-anchor/pdf/CAS-member-grid.pdf

Technically they are correct.  A fiance doesn't count.

The intent of the relationship match isn't for future spouses.  Given modern times and some states or legal jurisdictions not recognizing marriage equally there is some leeway allowed from the historic definition of a spouse being a man and a woman but make no mistake it isn't designed to be used for a boyfriend, girlfriend or fiance regardless of addresses involved.

6 hours ago, twangster said:

Technically they are correct.  A fiance doesn't count.

The intent of the relationship match isn't for future spouses.  Given modern times and some states or legal jurisdictions not recognizing marriage equally there is some leeway allowed from the historic definition of a spouse being a man and a woman but make no mistake it isn't designed to be used for a boyfriend, girlfriend or fiance regardless of addresses involved.

On the link Pattycruise provided, in the last paragraph, it says significant other! What constitutes a significant other?...I think a fiance would qualify...especially if we are living together for 8 years!LOL

1 hour ago, Jersey Judie said:

On the link Pattycruise provided, in the last paragraph, it says significant other! What constitutes a significant other?...I think a fiance would qualify...especially if we are living together for 8 years!LOL

Some states don't allow same sex marriages so the verbiage they used is designed to be inexact so as to allow same sex couples in married-like situations to be included.  

We can argue all day long what our own personal opinions are for the term "significant other" or "spouse".  Maybe a lawyer will chime in with a legal definition or interpretation in their region or jurisdiction.  All that is well and good but at the end of the day Royal has a practice of setting the bar at marriage and allows effectively married couples to be included.  Engaged couples are not married.   The full benefits afforded to married couples are rarely extended to engaged couples in so many areas of law and in practice universally such as health care insurance. 

At the end of day despite how you or I would like to bend the words "significant other" it's their ships, their rules.  Engaged is not married.

Back to the Suite Solo question...

Disclaimer: I have never sailed solo and only once is a suite.  But seems to me that Suite Solos are not getting their fair share!  If you go Solo (normally 2x) and you pay for a Suite (normally 2x), then why shouldn't you get 4x points?  What am I missing?  Is there a steep discount in pricing or something I don't understand messing with the point assignment?  Thanks in Advance...

image.png.3c1dbbcaa72e6ea3199db75aef7f496f.png

31 minutes ago, YOLO said:

Back to the Suite Solo question...

Disclaimer: I have never sailed solo and only once is a suite.  But seems to me that Suite Solos are not getting their fair share!  If you go Solo (normally 2x) and you pay for a Suite (normally 2x), then why shouldn't you get 4x points?  What am I missing?  Is there a steep discount in pricing or something I don't understand messing with the point assignment?  Thanks in Advance...

image.png.3c1dbbcaa72e6ea3199db75aef7f496f.png

Ultimately none of us know why Royal provides points the way they do. 

One could guess that while Royal wants to give something for a solo suite it's not a linear doubling to avoid making it too easy to climb the ladder as a solo in suite.  

Royal is careful to use the word "extra" point rather than "double" points.  You get an extra point per night as a solo in a double occupancy cabin and you get another extra point for being solo in a suite.  It's not a linear reward multiplier based on spend but an extra point for the situation.  

There are many inequities in the program.  A couple in a JS earn the same points as a couple in a Star class suite.  You could ask how is that fair when one couple is paying ten times the fare.   It's just how they have built their loyalty program.  Their ship, their rules.

16 hours ago, wordell1 said:

If you booked before the cutoff (earlier this year) then it runs on all 2022 cruises. Anything booked now doesn't count.

It’ll be interesting to see what happens since we booked in January 2020 for an August 2021 sailing, then L&S to and August 2022 sailing….then we decided to upgrade our cabin from Inside to Balcony in December 2021. 

Double points really doesn’t matter.  One way or the other we’ll eventually have 80 points.  It’s the cruising we focus on 

11 minutes ago, teddy said:

It’ll be interesting to see what happens since we booked in January 2020 for an August 2021 sailing, then L&S to and August 2022 sailing….then we decided to upgrade our cabin from Inside to Balcony in December 2021. 

Double points really doesn’t matter.  One way or the other we’ll eventually have 80 points.  It’s the cruising we focus on 

You will get double points for that cruise.  That will bring you oh so close.  Almost worth squeezing in a 3 nighter if you can do it time wise.  Otherwise, it will come naturally.  

43 minutes ago, teddy said:

If you have the same booking number from Jan 2020 now, you should get double.  Check if your room upgrade was a cancel & re-book as this may be your only concern.

1 hour ago, teddy said:

If your cabin was in place by sept 30, 2021 (I believe that was the book by , but not 💯 sure) for a sailing through December of 2022 you should still get double points., as long as you maintained the same reservation # it doesn’t matter that you change cabins.  

33 minutes ago, YOLO said:

@teddy  Yes, can you tell us if your reservation number now is the same as when you booked in Jan 2020?

Yup. It sure is.  It’s been the same throughout the whole process 

Thanks!!!

The Canada cruise in October will put us up after the first night, which means we’ll be Diamond on our back to back in February. 

On 7/8/2022 at 10:33 PM, OCSC Mike said:

Definitely worth it to me.

My favorite perks are:

- 4 free drinks

- Diamond Lounge for the coffee machine (love multiple free cappuccinos every morning) and happy hour snacks (even if the open bar is gone)

- internet discount

So are the cappuccinos as good as what is served in the coffee shop?