Reach Diamond Status in middle of your cruise

21 minutes ago, MaryCS62 said:

We are doing a B2B in a few weeks - at the very end of the 1st cruise, DH & I hit diamond - and we plan on going to the loyalty ambassador during that 1st cruise to make sure we can use diamond perks on the next one. We've been told to ask, otherwise it won't happen until our next one after that.

that is a smart move, from what  i remember it takes about a week or two after the cruise for the days to hit. 

20 minutes ago, Ubiquitous Cruiser said:

Right before we hit Diamond, we were 8 points shy. We had a 7-night booked for the fall and were like oh heck no we are not ending up 1 night shy! The only "option" was to book an 8 night before our 7 to fully enjoy our new benefits ...  😂

I call that smart planning 👍, we needed a certain week on the last cruise, but we did get double points on it though.

For what it is worth my first cruise at Diamond they had left both mine and my wife's diamond pins in our stateroom on day one and we both had all diamond benefits loaded onto our cards.  I know she would have received benefits because of my status anyway but they left her pin and congratulatory card even though she needed three more nights to officially reach Diamond.    

Depending on your ability to travel, doing a short cruise, either solo or in a suite, can be a great way to bump over into diamond and may save a LOT of money, depending on whether you need a drink package or not. If you are, say, 3 or 4 points from diamond, even a 2 night solo/suite will get the double points and get you diamond status and could be less than the cost of a drink package on a 7 or 8 day cruise. Remember, too, that your spouse shares the status when booked into the same cabin. And even two people getting solo inside cabins can be worth the price of this trick.

My wife and I did this route. I did a solo 3-night cruise (booked into an inside cabin) since we were 6 points away from diamond. She couldn't get away or we might have done a suite or two insides instead, but with 4 drinks a day being more than enough for us, we'll save a fortune by not buying the future drink packages. I was lucky to have both airline and hotel points so the entire trip was basically just the cost of the inside cabin, plus a little extra for food pre/post cruise.

3 hours ago, MaryCS62 said:

We are doing a B2B in a few weeks - at the very end of the 1st cruise, DH & I hit diamond - and we plan on going to the loyalty ambassador during that 1st cruise to make sure we can use diamond perks on the next one. We've been told to ask, otherwise it won't happen until our next one after that.

I verified this scenario with RC and that is correct.

We also want to congratulate you on your upcoming upgrade to Diamond Plus status! You are correct in your understanding of the way your status upgrade will be applied. As your status will upgrade at the end of your first sailing, you will be able to enjoy your Diamond Plus benefits on your next sailing. We do want you to be aware that for members whose status is upgrading on a back to back sailing, we ask that they inform the Loyalty Ambassador onboard during the first sailing of their upcoming change in status. Please let the Loyalty Ambassador know of this change and they will be able to note this change so that we are sure you receive your Diamond Plus benefits on the second sailing.

1 hour ago, mathbees said:

Depending on your ability to travel, doing a short cruise, either solo or in a suite, can be a great way to bump over into diamond and may save a LOT of money, depending on whether you need a drink package or not. If you are, say, 3 or 4 points from diamond, even a 2 night solo/suite will get the double points and get you diamond status and could be less than the cost of a drink package on a 7 or 8 day cruise. Remember, too, that your spouse shares the status when booked into the same cabin. And even two people getting solo inside cabins can be worth the price of this trick.

My wife and I did this route. I did a solo 3-night cruise (booked into an inside cabin) since we were 6 points away from diamond. She couldn't get away or we might have done a suite or two insides instead, but with 4 drinks a day being more than enough for us, we'll save a fortune by not buying the future drink packages. I was lucky to have both airline and hotel points so the entire trip was basically just the cost of the inside cabin, plus a little extra for food pre/post cruise.

My wife and I had the same general idea when we were sitting on 76 points. We live an hour from Port Canaveral so we booked the cheapest 4-nigher we could to get to Diamond before our next standard 7-night cruise. It didn't exactly save us money as we'd never buy the drink package but the open bar happy hour (this was long before vouchers) and other perks were enticing enough for us. You do also get to enjoy the short cruise of course; you're not just buying points.

Now that we're approaching D+, we're playing around with the numbers and trying to find "extra" cruises. The jump in perks is definitely not worth it in terms of dollars, but when you're getting close to a new level, it's hard not to be impatient. 🤣

26 minutes ago, YOLO said:

@Michael Bayley - My Proposal:

Platinum -> 1 Free Drink

Emerald -> 2 Free Drinks

Diamond -> 4 Free Drinks

Diamond Plus -> 6 Free Drinks

Pinnacle -> 10 Free Drinks (ideally unlimited, but understand capping it)

I for one love that proposal, but may I suggest 6 free drinks for Diamond?

We reach diamond status in the middle of our Sept cruise.

1 hour ago, YOLO said:

@Michael Bayley - My Proposal:

Platinum -> 1 Free Drink

Emerald -> 2 Free Drinks

Diamond -> 4 Free Drinks

Diamond Plus -> 6 Free Drinks

Pinnacle -> 10 Free Drinks (ideally unlimited, but understand capping it)

Not only this Pins should be given 5 or more specialty dining amenity to enjoy as well. Pin is no small milestone. It seems a lovely thing to do. (No I'm not a pin, no where near it) 

*depending on length of sailing

On 7/8/2022 at 3:52 PM, YOLO said:

@whitsmom  Ooo, what BI cruise do you have booked?  It seems to me that Celebrity and other cruise lines have better BI itineraries than Royal.

Cruise starts from Amsterdam and goes to Edinburgh, Glasgow, & Inverness in Scotland; Belfast in Northern Ireland, Cork in Ireland, Liverpool in England, St Peters Port in the Channel Islands, and Dover in England.

On 7/8/2022 at 1:58 PM, OCSC Mike said:

Now that we're approaching D+, we're playing around with the numbers and trying to find "extra" cruises. The jump in perks is definitely not worth it in terms of dollars, but when you're getting close to a new level, it's hard not to be impatient. 🤣

Agree about the "impatient" part!

We booked multiple cruises and did the math to make sure we wouldn't be changing tiers in the middle of a cruise.  

Now we are closing in on D+ and I'm doing fancy math to figure out how to make it work.

1 hour ago, teddy said:

Double points definitely helped us, although I honestly think we would have been very close where we currently are if there had been no shutdown.  

heh... we will hit diamond this December and there is no way we would have reached it without the double points. We only had 11 points going into the shut down but I had 2 cruises already booked and just stood pat. Lifted and shifted one and the other was already booked as a suite.  Then booked another one for the end of this year as a suite and ta-da we will be diamond and will skip emerald altogether.

42 minutes ago, PatsFanBrian said:

We were 12 points away prior to Covid.  We took advantage of the double points offer last year and we were able to skip over one cruise to get there.  Now if we only had the time and money to book another one, but we'll likely have to look towards the end of '23 or early '24.

Same!  Took advantage of those double points and made Diamond on the last cruise in June.  Finally being near a cruise port definitely helped as well.