COVID Testing Requirements

With requirement to test at no more than 2 days prior to setting sail, and rapid tests unavailable through (Long Island) pharmacies l/via insurance and PCR tests take as much as 3 days, it is very stressful not knowing if we (20 of us!) will have results in time. Only alternative seems to be buying their Abbott Labs telehealth test kit ($70 each, so $700!!!) or an Urgent Care, where the fee is $200 or so ($4000!!!!!!!!).

are there other options?  When I ask RC they act as if no one has ever brought this issue up to them.  They keep saying just go get a rapid test and I’m like, it’s not 2021 and it’s not that easy to anymore!

On 7/7/2022 at 6:08 PM, Concerned said:

Only alternative seems to be buying their Abbott Labs telehealth test kit ($70 each, so $700!!!) or an Urgent Care, where the fee is $200 or so ($4000!!!!!!!!).

Those tests are $70 for a set of 2, so $35 each. You can also get $7 $12/test back from insurance on them. There are also a lot of people selling the emed tests because the US got rid of the re-entry testing requirement. I saw some  people in FB cruise and travel groups selling them for $20-$25 each. Just double check the expiration dates to make sure they work for you.

Emed.com the test kits 6 pack for $150 plus Shipping.  for me it comes to just about $170. You should have extra test kits on hand just in case something goes wrong during testing=drop the kit, parts missing etc...OR have a backup plan in case something does go wrong.  You can access Emed 24 hours for your testing, I have found it extremely convenient for my family of 6. (Yes I order 2 6 packs at a time as needed)

You can also book Walgreens and it should not cost you anything if it is not for travel.....I imagine everyone has been exposed to someone who is Covid positive, whether you know it or not.  I typed in Bethpage, since Long Island is a big island, and there are plenty of Walgreens that offer the Rapid NAAT test (which is a PCR test)....this test can be for age 3 on up and would meet the unvaccinated testing if needed.  Walgreens books appointments 3 days out.

I've successfully used the CVS Covid testing site here  505 New Rochelle RD, Bronxville, NY 10708-4537  If you answer the first 2 questions, unable to socially distance, been in contact with Covid positive person the test does not indicate a charge....as opposed to answering no to those and the other questions, then it says there is a charge.
This location is appointment only.  You cannot arrive late for your appointment or they cancel you, but you can arrive early.    I know it may not be the most convenient of locations, perhaps combine it with a trip to the Bronx Zoo or go to Arthur Avenue for some good Italian...or  Rye Playland etc....CVS books appointments about 10-14  days out.

You could have someone be a guinea pig and go for testing now, to see how it works and any associated costs.  Definitely try some mock bookings on those sites to see how it works.

My experience with CVS is they only administer the test, they know nothing of billing.....all of that stuff is done online when you register.  If you use CVS (and I imagine other locations) bring appropriate ID, they do ask for that.  
Results are emailed within the hour from CVS.  I actually sit in their parking lot and wait, because if it is 
inconclusive (which I have not experienced) I would go back inside to be redone.  
I did have only one CVS (not the one mentioned above) where the staff member asked if it was travel....and my answer was no.  I don't know what she would have done had I said yes.  
Also keep in mind that the CVS I provided does not do sick visits.  If one of your party has symptoms they will be asked to leave.Z
Side note....we did have one issue with my daughter, who was 18 at the time of her test....for some reason she was not permitted to have an account with CVS my chart to get her results.....So if you are setting up accounts for CVS do them ahead of time if possible, we did finally get her results (I forget how) but there were some stressful phone calls trying to figure out why, as an adult, she was not permitted to have an account.  I do not know if it was website glitch or other issue. That was the last time we used them for testing (it's about an hour from us)....I switched to the   Emed kits after that.

25 minutes ago, RCIfan1912 said:

Oh wow, that I didn't know and we have like 30 of those tests. Interesting info, thanks.

You're welcome. A lot of people have a stockpile, that's why they have become a popular option. Search for reviews and accounts of using them here and on other cruise forums. Many accounts of them being used successfully. Some hiccups here and there but I'm comfortable using them now that Walgreens is out. Happy hunting!

26 minutes ago, Pattycruise said:

Just ensure they are not expired 

And remember that many tests were granted an additional 3 months of shelf life from the printed expiration date by the FDA. You can check for a particular type of test by googling.

15 hours ago, Concerned said:

With requirement to test at no more than 2 days prior to setting sail, and rapid tests unavailable through (Long Island) pharmacies l/via insurance and PCR tests take as much as 3 days, it is very stressful not knowing if we (20 of us!) will have results in time. Only alternative seems to be buying their Abbott Labs telehealth test kit ($70 each, so $700!!!) or an Urgent Care, where the fee is $200 or so ($4000!!!!!!!!).

are there other options?  When I ask RC they act as if no one has ever brought this issue up to them.  They keep saying just go get a rapid test and I’m like, it’s not 2021 and it’s not that easy to anymore!

order from emed. They come in a day or 2 and are super easy. We did ours yesterday morning before work for our cruise tomorrow. Results in your email in 5 minutes. 

13 minutes ago, RCIfan1912 said:

We are just gonna go to the walk-in that is like a half mile away. They do tests for travel purposes. A guy I work with took his group cruise there with no issues. Nice to know that are other options though. 

If you have a relatively inexpensive walk-in, don't blame you. Everyone has to do what works best for them of course.

12 hours ago, Diane O said:

Do the at home supervised tests contain all the information required by RC? I am on a chat with Rapid Test and Trace and the employee stated that the results page will not include a CLIA number because they are not a laboratory. 

The ports don’t care about a CLIA number & many have had no issue with RT&T but if you’re not comfortable using them, OnPoint has a CLIA number as does the one Matt said of course.

9 minutes ago, Diane O said:

I just spoke with a representative at OnPoint. They do not include a CLIA or certification number on their test results 

Could have sworn I saw someone post a screenshot of one. Apologies if I was mistaken.

GL with whatever you decide.

1 hour ago, Diane O said:

I just spoke with a representative at OnPoint. They do not include a CLIA or certification number on their test results. Has anyone use OnPoint or Rapid Test and Trace and their results have been accepted by RC?

I can understand your concern but I’ll share my experience .  I’ve only used the Emed Binax now  proctored tests if not CVS or other medical facility.  I can honestly say  I circle my name, DOB , test date and result.  The pier staff looks for that.  Same when I’ve printed out CVS or lab.   My girlfriend had a 3 page printout of her results from whatever she used and I made her circle the pertinent info (negative was on the last page), they thanked her, they didn’t look for a lab or CLIA #. I think they font look gif it.    I hope you can find an answer to your question. 

11 minutes ago, CTKaren said:

On either OnPoint or RapidTestandTrace how far in advance can you book your appointments?

Go to their websites and check. RT&T has a mock calendar for checking availability that goes pretty far out.

Not as familiar with OnPoint b/c I chose RT&T.

We did the eMEd tests ordered straight from eMed.com. The 6 pack was $150, cheaper than ordering the exact same tests from RC.. They worked like a charm. Logged in and the online nurses were perfect on execution of the tests. All passed, and we printed out our PDF sheets saying we passed...

That being said-  the check in process involved showing the nice folks at the terminal our sheets, and they checked them off when they saw the word PASSED and the date of the test. Ahh....would someone even show up to the terminal with a test that said FAILED. No, why? They wouldn't be allowed to board. Meaning that every single person there is coming in with a negative test written on a piece of paper, that someone reads. Do you know how easy it is to edit a PDF file? I can in about 1 minute. If I had just paid thousands of dollars for a cruise, and had a double bar on a test, and it showed I had Covid, and others in my party had passed ( so I had their PDF files handy), it would be extremely easy to create a new PDF for me using an Acrobat editor. Just saying... I have no idea if anyone did this, or would want to, but after our cruise (late May) all 4 of us came down with COVID 3-5 days after we got back. It wasn't bad, but we got in on the ship. So someone had it and brought it on board. Yup.