Alaska 7-Day with Three Kids under 10 - Would they enjoy/appreciate it?

We're looking to plan our Summer 2023 Cruise and we've been going back and forth, over and over trying to decide between a 7-Day Alaskan Cruise or a 7-Day Caribbean (St. Thomas and St. Kitts). My biggest fear is we fly across the U.S. from Florida and set sail from Seattle and they don't enjoy it. They love the beach, but we also want to make sure they're exposed to other experiences, just at the right age.

I'm looking for any feedback from anyone who has gone on an Alaskan cruise with their kids under 10. Did they enjoy it and/or appreciate it?

Thanks ahead of time!

20 minutes ago, derbscruises said:

We're looking to plan our Summer 2023 Cruise and we've been going back and forth, over and over trying to decide between a 7-Day Alaskan Cruise or a 7-Day Caribbean (St. Thomas and St. Kitts). My biggest fear is we fly across the U.S. from Florida and set sail from Seattle and they don't enjoy it. They love the beach, but we also want to make sure they're exposed to other experiences, just at the right age.

I'm looking for any feedback from anyone who has gone on an Alaskan cruise with their kids under 10. Did they enjoy it and/or appreciate it?

Thanks ahead of time!

It all really depends on what your kids like/appreciate.  Some kids will like the educational, cultural, and nature of an Alaskan cruise.  While others would prefer the experience and fun of Coco Cay (PDCC).  Being that they are 10 or younger, I'd bet on the Coco Cay experience.  

37 minutes ago, derbscruises said:

Thanks ahead of time!

I would pick Alaska. There will still be swimming and other activities on the ship, but then also a chance to see whales and seals, hike in the forest, and just take in the dramatically different scenery. 

43 minutes ago, derbscruises said:

I've done two cruises with my kids (11 and 7 this year and subtract 4 to get their ages last time) and they enjoyed it.

My kids love easy walking/hiking trails so they can climb and explore. They love the animal viewings/interactions even more.

In short, yes, Alaska is great for this age.

My kids were fortunate to cruise in Alaska as older teenagers. (16,18,20) For us, that was the right time.  One of my teens didn’t choose to do much in regards to excursions (his loss), we put 2 of them on a helicopter tour to a glacier (quite pricey)-while hubby and I did a different excursion (we’d done  a helicopter on our Hawaii honeymoon, once was good enough for me). We also did the 3 day pre cruise land tour…HIGHLY recommend but with the littles, it is A LOT. (My niece, age 6 was on this trip-can we say cranky?)
when mine were younger we did the Caribbean on a port intensive cruise out of Puerto Rico.  It was an extended family/friends sailing.  All excursions I chose had historical piece/other item snd ended with a beach,  they remembered the beach the best (always end on a high note!).  When we decided to cruise again we went for a balance of sea days and port days, it was a lot more conducive for my family.  I just traveled with my niece, now 9, recently, I recommend whatever you choose for the kids you bring travel games to engage them while you wait for “whatever”. In our case the MDR was quite slow so we kept busy with a travel Boggle, Yahtzee, Uno and a deck of cards.

1 hour ago, Pattycruise said:

My kids were fortunate to cruise in Alaska as older teenagers. (16,18,20) For us, that was the right time.  One of my teens didn’t choose to do much in regards to excursions (his loss), we put 2 of them on a helicopter tour to a glacier (quite pricey)-while hubby and I did a different excursion (we’d done  a helicopter on our Hawaii honeymoon, once was good enough for me). We also did the 3 day pre cruise land tour…HIGHLY recommend but with the littles, it is A LOT. (My niece, age 6 was on this trip-can we say cranky?)
when mine were younger we did the Caribbean on a port intensive cruise out of Puerto Rico.  It was an extended family/friends sailing.  All excursions I chose had historical piece/other item snd ended with a beach,  they remembered the beach the best (always end on a high note!).  When we decided to cruise again we went for a balance of sea days and port days, it was a lot more conducive for my family.  I just traveled with my niece, now 9, recently, I recommend whatever you choose for the kids you bring travel games to engage them while you wait for “whatever”. In our case the MDR was quite slow so we kept busy with a travel Boggle, Yahtzee, Uno and a deck of cards.

Thank you for the feedback. I actually know the Puerto Rico cruise you're talking about.  I saw it for spring break and then realized, there is no way my kids can handle 6 port days on a 7 night cruise. A good balance is best. Thank you.

Maybe if you fully explain the options to the kids and ask them what they'd like to do.  Majority wins!  

One thing that really made me feel awful after a vacation, was a vacation that I didn't ask the kids about or ask them for their opinion, it was supposed to be a big surprise, was when I asked them afterwards if they had a good time and the answer was that it was boring.  It's supposed to be their vacation, too.  Fortunately, I only had two kids and if there was a tie, when I did ask for their opinion, my wife and I made the decision.