Disembarkation from Rome (Odyssey Of The Seas Sept. 28 - Oct. 7)

Hello! I am debarking Odyssey of the Seas on Friday, Oct. 7 from Rome.  I've never been to this port (or Rome in general) before and have no idea how late/early I should book my departure flight or how long I should expect it to take me to get to the airport. It says the ship docks at 5am but also unsure what time that means I can actually leave the ship. Has anyone done this itinerary or a similar one who could provide some insights or tips? Thanks so much!

• Rebecca84 changed the title to Disembarkation from Rome (Odyssey Of The Seas Sept. 28 - Oct. 7)

Do you absolutely have to fly home the same day you get off the ship? Rome airport is an hour's drive from the port and the airport is reputed to be chaotic (I personally did not experience this but I was flying to a Schengen destination; if you're flying to the US, it could well be different).

If you can stay even one night after your cruise you could spend some time exploring Rome, maybe see the Vatican or the  Colosseum. It would be a pity to be so close and not see any of it, if you can possibly swing it. AND it would be a far more relaxing way to end your trip.

That is helpful to know about the Rome airport! We are actually planning on getting into Rome two days before our cruise begins as I have never been there before, and also to give us some buffer time in case flights are delayed so we will not miss our ship. Unfortunately we have to depart the same day!

2 hours ago, Rebecca84 said:

That is helpful to know about the Rome airport! We are actually planning on getting into Rome two days before our cruise begins as I have never been there before, and also to give us some buffer time in case flights are delayed so we will not miss our ship. Unfortunately we have to depart the same day!

Fair enough.

I'd definitely go with @wordell1 and @Riley's recommendations then to be on the safe side. And as an added buffer, I would suggest booking a private transfer so that you can be whisked away straight to the airport after you disembark.

We used Civitavecchia shuttle express and were happy with the service:  https://www.civitavecchiashuttleexpress.com/booking-1.html but there are plenty other options too that you can find with a quick google search.

We've been on Odyssey four weeks ago.

Keep in mind to pick a suitable disembarkation time (eg 8am) - check with guest services early en route to let them assign it.

Disembarkation with all our luggage was easy, no hassle, not crowded. We picked one of the citavecchia shuttles to the train station (3€/pp, kids free) and travelled with trains (interchanging at Trastevere) to Fuimucino. Arrived about 2:30 after disembarking right at the airport train station.

Checking in (had OLCI before) was easy (but we are *A Gold) and security no problem. We had plenty of time for lounge and arrived early at the gate.

Departure time for the flight was 1:30pm, btw.

The only problem I assume at Rome airport could be security lines. Other, we did not experience.

Caro

On 7/7/2022 at 8:53 AM, wordell1 said:

On Wonder, the earliest walk off with luggage time was around 7:15.  I would think it would be the same.  Rome's airport has a reputation for being difficult for check in/security etc.  I would allow a minimum of 3 hours.  I would probably look at flights leaving no earlier than Noon.

Noon minimum.  Spent 2 hours in security line among an uncontrolled mob.  Missed our flight(s).  

I depart on Monday, September 19 and my flight is at 11am (only flight available and we are spending 8 days in Italy prior to the cruise). I am hoping to talk to guest services and try to get off the ship as early as possible. I am also booking a private shuttle. Fingers crossed!

I recently flew out of Amsterdam and people warned us about the airports. Check in and security took less than 2 hours since it was a Tuesday morning. Weekends may be a little more hectic. 

1 hour ago, MelKaps said:

I depart on Monday, September 19 and my flight is at 11am (only flight available and we are spending 8 days in Italy prior to the cruise). I am hoping to talk to guest services and try to get off the ship as early as possible. I am also booking a private shuttle. Fingers crossed!

I recently flew out of Amsterdam and people warned us about the airports. Check in and security took less than 2 hours since it was a Tuesday morning. Weekends may be a little more hectic. 

Thats cutting it close.  Be ready to walk off with your bags at 7am.  They will start as soon as the Italian customs clears the ship.  Customs at the port is no big deal but you will have some time to spend at security at the airport.