UDP - Specialty Dining

Hi all, New member here and new to Royal Caribbean as well. I'll be going on a group cruise next March on Navigator of the Seas. I wanted to do the UDP and take advantage of it every night.

The group decided that they're going to do an early dining time... My thoughts are, what if I met them in the MDR and joined them at 5:30 for maybe an appetizer and a drink just to spend some time socializing with them and then had whatever the latest dining reservation I could make (hopefully 8:30 -9?) or if this would be really difficult or disrespectful towards the MDR staff or anything? 

Does anyone know typically what the latest reservation time is at most specialty restaurants?

Also, with the credit of $20 or whatever it happens to be at Playmakers and Johnny Rockets. Say I stopped in for something small and didn't use the whole $20, would the balance be available to use if I came back later? Or does the credit have to be used all at one time?

Thanks for any suggestions or info you can provide 😊 

14 minutes ago, Neole2682 said:

what if I met them in the MDR and joined them at 5:30 for maybe an appetizer and a drink just to spend some time socializing with them and then had whatever the latest dining reservation I could make (hopefully 8:30 -9?) or if this would be really difficult or disrespectful towards the MDR staff or anything? 

There's absolutely no problem doing this!

15 minutes ago, Neole2682 said:

Does anyone know typically what the latest reservation time is at most specialty restaurants?

I usually see them as late as 9:00 or even 9:30 for reservations. 

15 minutes ago, Neole2682 said:

Also, with the credit of $20 or whatever it happens to be at Playmakers and Johnny Rockets. Say I stopped in for something small and didn't use the whole $20, would the balance be available to use if I came back later? Or does the credit have to be used all at one time?

It's actually a per visit credit of $20, so you can swing by any time and just order one thing and come back for another round later!

5 hours ago, Neole2682 said:

😲😱 Wow! Seriously? Wellllll that's awesome!

Thank you so much!

On the Symphony of the Seas in February I did a lot of computer work in Playmakers.  I never seen a check there.  I did not know there was a $20 limit.  I am guessing they must have closed out one ticket and open another because I often would be there 4 or 5 hours.  Playmaker waiters would also go across to Jonny Rockets and get me burgers.  The Unlimited Dining is truly Unlimited.  I know someone on our cruise that was eating early appetizers at Jamies Italian and then go across the way and having the 16 oz ribeye for his main course.

17 minutes ago, MattG said:

I know DBP covers Johnny Rockets milkshakes, but does UDP also cover them? If I just wanted a milkshake, could I get it under UDP?

DX and JR milkshakes are not a sure thing.  JR is not officially addressed in a written policy so the experience on board tends to be created by each ship and the policy seems to change over time on that ship.  One guest reports success while another was denied sort of thing. 

For me one of disappointments with the UDP is the lack of specifics.  YMMV.

47 minutes ago, MattG said:

I know DBP covers Johnny Rockets milkshakes, but does UDP also cover them? If I just wanted a milkshake, could I get it under UDP?

In my experience, no.  The JR milkshakes are not covered by the UDP but are covered under the DBP.  As @twangstersaid, it seems to vary by ship whether the milkshakes are included at all under ANY package.  Best to ask first, just in case. Yes, the food should be included in the UDP and the milkshakes should be included in the DBP but there sometimes are mixed signals between the ship policy and ship servers.  As a general rule, however, the milkshakes are not included in just the meals package.

I have been known to have a drink and appetizers at one restaurant and dinner at another with UDP.    Or stopped by later in evening for dessert at specialty restaurant with coffee.  Some restaurants you will fine have desserts you like better or appetizers.  Or you just want to spread out your meal.   All is good