Regent discontinuing pre-embarkation COVID tests as of August 1, 2022

Just announced today.

Beginning on August 1, 2022, we will no longer require our guests to show proof of a negative COVID-19 test result prior to embarkation, subject to local regulations.

There are a small number of cruises — including certain voyages that begin in Canada, Greece and the United States — where guests may still be required to produce evidence of a negative COVID-19 test result within a specified timeframe upon embarkation. These requirements will be highlighted for the guests on those voyages at least 30 days prior to sailing.

As always, the health and well-being of our guests, crew and the communities we visit remains at the forefront of providing an unrivaled experience. This important change to our pre-cruise COVID-19 testing policy is in line with the broader global travel industry as we all continue to adapt and return to a sense of normalcy.

On 7/6/2022 at 11:27 AM, Keiffer-b said:

Update, just saw it is actually the entire NCLH group of companies: 

This policy will go into effect across Norwegian Cruise Line, Oceania Cruises and Regent Seven Seas Cruises beginning August 1, 2022, the company said.

Thanks for clarifying.  We recently booked Oceania in order to spend some time in the South Pacific.

16 minutes ago, monctonguy said:

I would think Royal will have to follow soon??!

Royal opted into the CDC framework which is where testing comes from.  They can't pick and choose which CDC protocols in the framework to follow.  All in or all out.  So for sailings that involve US water the CDC still creates the testing policy.

Personally I think the CDC is using cruise testing to gain insight into what is going on in our country.  Now that the federal government in the US has been giving out home tests that don't get recorded or noted anywhere and inbound flight testing for international is gone the CDC has few other windows to the world.  So they use cruise testing as one of their insights to what is really going on.  

Not what i wanted to hear...its a logistical nightmare between flying, cruising, testing etc to try and make a vacation work. After 3 years of not cruising, I was really hoping to make it work in 2022, but its looking less and less likely at this point. At least with Royal.

May have to start looking at other cruise lines that don't require it unfortunately if this remains much longer in place.

22 minutes ago, monctonguy said:

Not what i wanted to hear...its a logistical nightmare between flying, cruising, testing etc to try and make a vacation work. After 3 years of not cruising, I was really hoping to make it work in 2022, but its looking less and less likely at this point. At least with Royal.

May have to start looking at other cruise lines that don't require it unfortunately if this remains much longer in place.

You will have to fly to Europe then as all cruise lines sailing from US and Canadian ports still require testing. This announcement has no impact right now on cruises sailing in North America except the hope that as usual, what happens in Europe happens in North America several months later.

2 hours ago, Cilla said:

Im in the UK and sailing from Southampton in September. Im really hoping they do away with the pre-cruise testing. I can't look forward to our cruise at the moment

I agree.  Having the pre cruise test I decided it was best to not go to Europe early and explore since a positive test would keep me from sailing.  Had the US lifted the test to return policy earlier I would likely have stayed longer post cruise,  Europe’s loss of income.  

3 hours ago, Cilla said:

Im in the UK and sailing from Southampton in September. Im really hoping they do away with the pre-cruise testing. I can't look forward to our cruise at the moment

I'm also sailing from Southampton in September and feel exactly like you, so every "cross-able" part of me is crossed. This will be my third post-covid cruise and I wasn't able to look forward to the other two at all, although I had an excellent time when I eventually got on board. 

1 hour ago, Pattycruise said:

I agree.  Having the pre cruise test I decided it was best to not go to Europe early and explore since a positive test would keep me from sailing.  Had the US lifted the test to return policy earlier I would likely have stayed longer post cruise,  Europe’s loss of income.  

Makes complete sense and is exactly why we decided not to go to the US this year. Really hoping we're past all this by May next year. Fingers crossed. 🤞

On 7/8/2022 at 12:01 PM, twangster said:

Royal opted into the CDC framework which is where testing comes from.  They can't pick and choose which CDC protocols in the framework to follow.  All in or all out.  So for sailings that involve US water the CDC still creates the testing policy.

Personally I think the CDC is using cruise testing to gain insight into what is going on in our country.  Now that the federal government in the US has been giving out home tests that don't get recorded or noted anywhere and inbound flight testing for international is gone the CDC has few other windows to the world.  So they use cruise testing as one of their insights to what is really going on.  

And with the fed extending the Public Health Emergency today, it would be a bad PR move for the lines to opt out

So now the CDC doesn't require a negative test to cruise out of the USA, but Royal hasn't changed?

I just booked a great deal on a NCL cruise out of San Juan to NYC for next April....only requirement is to be vaxxed(of course that could change a million times but) its nice to see it starting o change.

Hopefully Royal will do the same before my October cruise....I am looking at a January one with Royal as well, but wont officially book till the testing requirement is gone!

1 hour ago, monctonguy said:

Sorry...I am anxious to get booking!!!!...🤣

I was surprised that NCL already had it updated on the documents when I booked this am, was hoping Royal had as well.....thats all.

Interesting, I just looked on NCL homepage and they still have pre cruise testing on all US embarkations.