Miami - Kimpton Epic, Mandarin Oriental or Faena

Happy Cruisers

Hi everyone!  We're spending a couple of days in Miami before our August sailing on Explorer of the Seas are are looking for a full service hotel option to make the pre-cruise stay special.  We're currently booked at the Kimpton Epic, but we're also looking at the Mandarin Oriental, the Intercontinental or the Faena Hotel.  Anyone have experience with those properties?  I have quite a bit of experience with Kimpton and Intercontinental from work (albeit, not in Miami), but the others I really don't. 

Although we've cruised from south Florida before, we're typically only there for a quick overnight before the cruise for which a limited service hotel is more than adequate.  Since we have a couple of days, we're looking to secure an excellent and memorable experience.  Beach access isn't important, but a high level of personalized service is incredibly important (something akin to the Ritz Carlton, but we've been there/done that in Miami and want something new to us).  I'd take any suggestions not on the list, too.  

Look forward to any recommendations. 

Thanks! 

I LOVE the Kimpton Epic  - it's where we stay everytime we are in Miami.   The location is fantastic, and I always get a room overlooking the Miami River or the towards the cruise port (although since I've been there they built another building next to the Kimpton which may block the views to the port, depending on the floor you get.  The pool/cabana area is very nice.  There's a complimentary wine happy hour each evening.  The rooms are gorgeous and the staff has always been wonderful (and have always been able to put is in a room facing the direction we want when we ask nicely).  I can't compare it to the Ritz Carlton, as I've never stayed in one.

• 1 month later...

Just an update on this:  we ultimately selected the Kimpton Epic.  Super convenient location relative to the Port, which I suppose is what one wants for a pre-cruise stay.  In no universe should the property be mentioned in the same breath as MO and Faena, though.  I regret having not booked one of those two properties instead, but I know for next time and will not repeat my mistake.  

If you're considering the Kimpton Epic, know that the location relative to the port is patently excellent.  The room is just a step nicer than your typical roadside motel (Hampton Inn, Fairfield, etc.), so to the extent you pay a premium over any other motel to stay here, ensure that the premium is justifiable solely for the location (for which you'll get a decent ROI) and not an assumption of enhanced quality (for which you likely will not).   If my above narrative about a special and memorable stay with exceptional service is what you have in mind for your stay in Miami, you will not find it here.  If, like me, you've stayed at other Kimpton properties in places like New York and DC, you will no doubt be unpleasantly surprised by what is apparently acceptable to IHG for a "luxury" property in Miami.  

Good luck! 

Perhaps things have changed post-pandemic, but I was quite happy with the Kimpton Epic for a pre-cruise stay in 2019.  Especially for the price I paid.  It certainly seemed comparable to other Kimpton (or Intercontinental) properties that i've stayed at in other cities. 

Agreed with @karl_nj that the price paid was ultimately reasonable for what we received, and perhaps my firm's corporate account with IHG improved my past experiences at their "big city" properties.  Different folks look for different things in a hotel/motel; this just wasn't a fit for us, but others may find the Kimpton to be quite acceptable.  The location relative to the port was objectively excellent, which is important to many people.  The rest of my view is just the subjective opinion of some guy on the internet 🙂