Lyrical

Our Cruise ship is arriving in Havana, Cuba on a Sunday.  We will be doing a "Classic Car Tour" of Old Havana.  Was wondering if there are places open on a Sunday where we can exchange our US Dollars, or is this something they offer on the Cruise Ships?  Was told by someone that we could not exchange our $$$$ before leaving for our Trip.  Any advise? Thanks~

Watch out for the attached sign. There you can exchange currency, shouldn't be a problem on a Sunday. 

Have you any Euros? The exchange rate for the EUR is much better than for the US-$, they charge an extra 10% fee for Dollar exchange.

If you only need some money for tipping, you could use your Dollars, people are always grateful for that.

post-491-0-21337400-1487933238_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...

Is this still the case? No Cuban Convertible Peso exchange onboard? Just confirming. If so, I'll take Euros with us and exchange them instead of USD.  Thanks for your help!

On 2/24/2017 at 7:30 AM, monctonguy said:

Only place to get Cuban currency is in Cuba.....no matter what country you are from.

You will find that American is  accepted at a lot of places these days, but still somewhat limited(as are USA credit cards I believe still)

You'll be able to quickly and easily change currency at the CADECA located within the cruise terminal.  We found it very efficient.  Cuban currency is now supposed to leave the island, so as far as I know you can not change any money before arriving.

It's important to know that with very limited exceptions, US credit cards are not accepted in Cuba (and cash is king there anyway).  There are also two currencies, CUCs and CUPs, and they're valued VERY differently, so it's important to know the difference.  The exchange at the terminal will only give you CUCs, which is what you want.  This article explains how to pay for things in Cuba, how to identify the two currencies, a way you *may* be able to save a bit when changing money, and more.  You may want to check the rest of the Cruising Cuba series as well.  

http://www.cruisehabit.com/cruising-cuba-credit-cards-and-changing-currency-cuba-how-pay-goods-and-services

Monorailmedic has this 100% correct, we regularly cruise from Tampa to Cuba, Take Euros and then very simple, quick and efficient exchange operation inside the Cruise Terminal in Havana. Great tip is exchange your CUCs back into USD at the end of your visit as there is not the 10% penalty when you exchange that way.

16 hours ago, monorailmedic said:

You'll be able to quickly and easily change currency at the CADECA located within the cruise terminal.  We found it very efficient.  Cuban currency is now supposed to leave the island, so as far as I know you can not change any money before arriving.

It's important to know that with very limited exceptions, US credit cards are not accepted in Cuba (and cash is king there anyway).  There are also two currencies, CUCs and CUPs, and they're valued VERY differently, so it's important to know the difference.  The exchange at the terminal will only give you CUCs, which is what you want.  This article explains how to pay for things in Cuba, how to identify the two currencies, a way you *may* be able to save a bit when changing money, and more.  You may want to check the rest of the Cruising Cuba series as well.  

http://www.cruisehabit.com/cruising-cuba-credit-cards-and-changing-currency-cuba-how-pay-goods-and-services

Thank you for this great information! This makes me feel much better about the exchange. 

15 hours ago, FLGooner said:

Monorailmedic has this 100% correct, we regularly cruise from Tampa to Cuba, Take Euros and then very simple, quick and efficient exchange operation inside the Cruise Terminal in Havana. Great tip is exchange your CUCs back into USD at the end of your visit as there is not the 10% penalty when you exchange that way.

And this is great as well...I probably would have exchanged back to Euros. Thank you!

• 3 weeks later...