Chat on ship with app?

Happy 4th of July!

I want to be able to text with my young teens while on ship. We all have the internet package. I’m assuming I need to download the app to their phones before we board- for people that have done this- do I need to create an account for each of them (and will I be able to create it since they are minors). We are on Odyssey if that makes a difference. Thanks!!

1 hour ago, smokeybandit said:

If you have the internet package you can use WhatsApp or iMessage or any 3rd party messaging app.

Also, if you have a later version of Android on your phone, the "Messages" app will use wifi as well. You could test it at home before you leave. Turn off cellular data on all phones involved and see if you can send texts between the phones in question.

I know you don't have to have it, but we found that WhatsApp worked much better than our usual message app on our phones (Android phones, from new to 3 yrs old) on the ship. Very fast, whereas the message app had a lag and sometimes didn't go through. Others have said you don't need a separate messaging app - and you don't! - but thought I would let you know what our experience was so in case you have the same problem, you have an alternative to try. Very easy to set up.

On 7/4/2022 at 10:59 PM, jbrinkm said:

I know you don't have to have it, but we found that WhatsApp worked much better than our usual message app on our phones (Android phones, from new to 3 yrs old) on the ship. Very fast, whereas the message app had a lag and sometimes didn't go through. Others have said you don't need a separate messaging app - and you don't! - but thought I would let you know what our experience was so in case you have the same problem, you have an alternative to try. Very easy to set up.

Yep, and then service can be so bad that’s it’s near impossible to download WhstsApp.  Best to do do before boarding,

24 minutes ago, CTKaren said:

If you just want the ships app to communicate with each other do you need to have internet? I have no desire

to purchase internet on the ship. The 1.99 per day seems like a much better option to me.

You can do that, but you have to constantly be checking the chat app for new messages. There are no notifications.

I balked at the price of internet, even with the shared package, but I was SO, SO happy to have it once we were on the ship. I didn't ever have to worry about letting the kids (ages 12 & 15) go off on their own - we could always reach them. It let me give them a level of freedom that I wouldn't have otherwise, which made the vacation more enjoyable for them.

3 hours ago, CTKaren said:

If you just want the ships app to communicate with each other do you need to have internet? I have no desire

to purchase internet on the ship. The 1.99 per day seems like a much better option to me.

Remember it’s 1.99 per day for each person using the chat app.

On 7/5/2022 at 6:41 AM, Pooch said:

Just remember to put all phone in airplane mode!!  Then turn WiFi on.  You should also enable WiFi calling on all phones prior to the cruise.

the whole wifi calling set up on my android phone is so confusing!  Quick question...once it is enabled, does it make sense to turn it off when you are on land and don't need it?  I mean both on and off a cruise actually.  I just wondered if it's a "one and done" deal, or i should enable it everytime.  I have never used wifi calling, but does it mean you could actually receive and make calls on the ship without fees other than wifi?  Jane

8 minutes ago, mom2mybugs said:

the whole wifi calling set up on my android phone is so confusing!  Quick question...once it is enabled, does it make sense to turn it off when you are on land and don't need it?  I mean both on and off a cruise actually.  I just wondered if it's a "one and done" deal, or i should enable it everytime.  I have never used wifi calling, but does it mean you could actually receive and make calls on the ship without fees other than wifi?  Jane

There's no need to turn off wifi calling. Mine is always enabled. Just if you don't enable it prior to your cruise it may not be able to be enabled on the ship.

Wifi calling basically says "if I'm on wifi, make phone calls over the internet instead of using a cell tower"

8 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

There's no need to turn off wifi calling. Mine is always enabled. Just if you don't enable it prior to your cruise it may not be able to be enabled on the ship.

Wifi calling basically says "if I'm on wifi, make phone calls over the internet instead of using a cell tower"

and thus no charge 🙂 Thanks...I know i looked up how to do it and my samsung had about a gazillion steps.  I could always go into the stupid t-mobile store and have them do it (I really really really miss sprint!)  Jane

10 minutes ago, mom2mybugs said:

and thus no charge 🙂 Thanks...I know i looked up how to do it and my samsung had about a gazillion steps.  I could always go into the stupid t-mobile store and have them do it (I really really really miss sprint!)  Jane

It should literally be one step. Click the Wifi Calling icon. You may need to confirm an address for 911 purposes but that's it.