Harmony glitches

Just got off a cruise on the Harmony July 3.  This was my first RC cruise; family cruise with 4 cabins booked.  The ship was beautiful and the crew for the most part were great, friendly, helpful.  They were, however, clearly stressed and overworked.   The cruise had 6,000 passengers and was full making it difficult to access many wanted activities.  The following was our experiences:   1.  My time dining really means “ships time”.  We were only able to eat in main dining room 3 times and the only time available was 9pm.  By then the staff was harried and we were rushed.  Not a good experience.  Also don’t get the chicken Parmesan.  Terrible. 2. Worst mattresses at sea.  Hard and lumpy.  A cabin steward told us they were old and there are many many complaints. We heard them from other passengers too.    3. Not able to obtain desired seatings for shows.  Booking efforts took a lot of time.  4. One of our group couples were double charged for their ship board charges.  RC acknowledged the mistake but advised it would be 7 before they would be issued a refund.  That is astounding given they are able to withdraw your funds immediately. They should be able to refund them immediately.  5. Problem with the safes.   Either would lock you out or you could not lock them.  This is even if you were careful to follow directions.   I will have to say that they responded quickly to remedy (open) the safe.  6. Not much on TV.  Pay for TV expensive.   7. Drinks very expensive.  Bought 6 cokes to take to cabin and was charged $24.00. Included the 18% gratuity.  Beer was $9.00 each.  Mixed drinks $12.00-15.00.   8.  Very good deal on pressing or doing laundry.  9.  Shops fairly expensive.  Not all staff were friendly but most were.   10.  Room service costly if you utilize it much.  About $9.00 per service if you only get complimentary items. Many food items have extra cost.  11. Ship is beautiful with obvious attempts to sanitize. Crew does not want you outside your cabin between 3-5am so deep cleaning can be done.  All staff/crew wear masks at all times.  12. My adult son started getting cold symptoms as we were departing. He immediately put on a mask and wore it off the ship and on the plane, etc.     Today he tested positive for Covid.  He was vaccinated and boostered.  Thankfully not very sick; has cold symptoms only.  Will be off work and on isolation precautions.  13. Departing the ship very smooth and easy.  Off the ship, luggage in hand and waiting for transport within 30 minutes.   Not as easy with embarking but not too bad either.
14.   Loved the ship, but honestly loved Carnival more.  Did not have any of these glitches ever with Carnival; I am a Platinum member.  Thank you allowing me to vent my frustrations.   

I was on Harmony in March and had NONE of those issues.  Because I did a little research in the past, I know room service costs $7.95 for anything beyond the continental breakfast. In fact it’s WRITTEN ON THE MENU!!  The cost of drinks is discussed to death.  If you don’t want to pay individually BUY A PACKAGE.  MTD dining allows you to make reservations in advance. DO SO!  And I slept like a baby on a very comfortable mattress.

16 minutes ago, Pooch said:

I was on Harmony in March and had NONE of those issues.  Because I did a little research in the past, I know room service costs $7.95 for anything beyond the continental breakfast. In fact it’s WRITTEN ON THE MENU!!  The cost of drinks is discussed to death.  If you don’t want to pay individually BUY A PACKAGE.  MTD dining allows you to make reservations in advance. DO SO!  And I slept like a baby on a very comfortable mattress.

Preach it, Pooch, preach! 😁

To Pooch,  

I spoke to my experience not yours. And please understand that I can read.  The difference in my cruise and yours is likely due to the timing.  No reservations for dining  were available before 9 pm.  None were available for the attractions.  No need to be snarky. The world has enough of this. You speak to your experience. I’ll speak to mine.    I did love the ship.  They were just undermanned    And no excuse for double charging.   Thank you

1 hour ago, Donna Hunter said:

Just got off a cruise on the Harmony July 3.  This was my first RC cruise; family cruise with 4 cabins booked.  The ship was beautiful and the crew for the most part were great, friendly, helpful.  They were, however, clearly stressed and overworked.   The cruise had 6,000 passengers and was full making it difficult to access many wanted activities.  The following was our experiences:   1.  My time dining really means “ships time”.  We were only able to eat in main dining room 3 times and the only time available was 9pm.  By then the staff was harried and we were rushed.  Not a good experience.  Also don’t get the chicken Parmesan.  Terrible. 2. Worst mattresses at sea.  Hard and lumpy.  A cabin steward told us they were old and there are many many complaints. We heard them from other passengers too.    3. Not able to obtain desired seatings for shows.  Booking efforts took a lot of time.  4. One of our group couples were double charged for their ship board charges.  RC acknowledged the mistake but advised it would be 7 before they would be issued a refund.  That is astounding given they are able to withdraw your funds immediately. They should be able to refund them immediately.  5. Problem with the safes.   Either would lock you out or you could not lock them.  This is even if you were careful to follow directions.   I will have to say that they responded quickly to remedy (open) the safe.  6. Not much on TV.  Pay for TV expensive.   7. Drinks very expensive.  Bought 6 cokes to take to cabin and was charged $24.00. Included the 18% gratuity.  Beer was $9.00 each.  Mixed drinks $12.00-15.00.   8.  Very good deal on pressing or doing laundry.  9.  Shops fairly expensive.  Not all staff were friendly but most were.   10.  Room service costly if you utilize it much.  About $9.00 per service if you only get complimentary items. Many food items have extra cost.  11. Ship is beautiful with obvious attempts to sanitize. Crew does not want you outside your cabin between 3-5am so deep cleaning can be done.  All staff/crew wear masks at all times.  12. My adult son started getting cold symptoms as we were departing. He immediately put on a mask and wore it off the ship and on the plane, etc.     Today he tested positive for Covid.  He was vaccinated and boostered.  Thankfully not very sick; has cold symptoms only.  Will be off work and on isolation precautions.  13. Departing the ship very smooth and easy.  Off the ship, luggage in hand and waiting for transport within 30 minutes.   Not as easy with embarking but not too bad either.
14.   Loved the ship, but honestly loved Carnival more.  Did not have any of these glitches ever with Carnival; I am a Platinum member.  Thank you allowing me to vent my frustrations.   

As a platinum member you’ve had experience with Royal before.   What was different this time around? Is it a post Covid thing?
What is better about Carnival? (I’ve never sailed them) and have you been on Carnival post Covid…is the experience the same as preCovid?/better than Royal? And if so how?

Perhaps but several of your issues were something you could have known in advance so it wasn’t a surprise.  RC has charged for room service except for suites, since before I started cruising 20 years ago. Did you try to make MTD reservations prior to boarding?  You can do so and then adjust as needed on board.  Gives you more options.

You are right, you had your experience and I had mine.  I think yours could have been better.

Patty, I may not have been clear.  I am a Platinum member of Carnival not RC.  This was my first experience with RC.  I did like the shop and thought the crew or most of them were fantastic.  Not so much many of the bartenders who tended to be harried and curt.  They appeared over worked and I felt sorry for them and always tipped extra. In many years of sailing with Carnival, never had issues with dining times, long lines for everything, no reservations available ever.   And their mattresses and linens are awesome.  And never in all of these years has there ever been a mistake on my invoicing.   Now all of this was before Covid of course and I definitely give grace to those who are working thru this.  I am a nurse and can tell you that nothing in health care is the same since Covid.   I wrote the post just as an information only submission to alert others to be aware of glitches that may occur.    I planned this cruise for two years and had to cancel once due to Covid. It was disappointing not to be able to reserve a dining seat before 9 pm or go to any of the entertainment venues.   I believe RC will do better as time goes on.   I will tell you that Carnival seems to have for fun.  It is the FUN SHIP after all lol.  

I have two peeves with the people who hit and run/sign up to complain.

The first one is that given have readily accessible information is......why aren't people using their resources? Yes, I am going to shell out at least $500+ pp for a cabin but I won't check what's included, what cost, what happens if life gets in the way.........the list goes on and on.

The second is why come to a pro place to complain and get uptight when people, within reason, question you? Everyone's experience is going to be different and personally I think people here do a good job of being honest about the negatives while doing it in an upbeat manner. I know when have live blogged, I have made it known that the MDR on some ships wasn't up to par for me.......even some specialty restaurants. But to come and just dump negatives........read the room.

RC's beverage prices are pretty on par with what you'd pay on land, too. Never thought the beds were hard. Never had an issue with the safe. Of course room service gets expensive if you get a lot of room service. And of course shops are expensive. They aren't meant to be cheap. I'm an early riser and sometimes up and about before 5am. Never had a crew member say get back in your room.

28 minutes ago, Donna Hunter said:

Patty, I may not have been clear.  I am a Platinum member of Carnival not RC.  This was my first experience with RC.  I did like the shop and thought the crew or most of them were fantastic.  Not so much many of the bartenders who tended to be harried and curt.  They appeared over worked and I felt sorry for them and always tipped extra. In many years of sailing with Carnival, never had issues with dining times, long lines for everything, no reservations available ever.   And their mattresses and linens are awesome.  And never in all of these years has there ever been a mistake on my invoicing.   Now all of this was before Covid of course and I definitely give grace to those who are working thru this.  I am a nurse and can tell you that nothing in health care is the same since Covid.   I wrote the post just as an information only submission to alert others to be aware of glitches that may occur.    I planned this cruise for two years and had to cancel once due to Covid. It was disappointing not to be able to reserve a dining seat before 9 pm or go to any of the entertainment venues.   I believe RC will do better as time goes on.   I will tell you that Carnival seems to have for fun.  It is the FUN SHIP after all lol.  

Are you really, John Heald?  I was a loyal to Brand X for years as well.  And to be honest, until I cruised Royal, I never realized how screwed up Brand X is.  I've told some, just some, of my experiences in here.  I won't rehash them now.  But, it ain't good!

25 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

RC's beverage prices are pretty on par with what you'd pay on land, too. Never thought the beds were hard. Never had an issue with the safe. Of course room service gets expensive if you get a lot of room service. And of course shops are expensive. They aren't meant to be cheap. I'm an early riser and sometimes up and about before 5am. Never had a crew member say get back in your room.

Smokey, don’t take my comments out of context.   I am simply relating my experiences and not necessarily complaining.  We booked 4 cabins with a cost of about 3k for each.  RC asks for honest reviews and I gave the good and the bad and understand the rationale for the bad.  I did a lot of planning and research for this cruise and did at least expect to dine at “my time”.  Was not allowed to do this before boarding.  Probably due to lots of people returning to cruising.    None of had a decent mattress and neither did multiple people we talked to.  Our cabin steward says there are many complaints and that the mattresses are old.  For those of you trying to dispute this, I don’t want any argument.  Just agree that some people’s experience may not be the same as yours.  Notice I did not “complain” about the food. People are entitled to their own tastes.  I love cruising and would never intend anyone to steer away from a particular voyage.  Just be aware of some things that may take you by surprise such as double billing, shops that charge $450 for a top and $600 for a pair of casual pants etc. ; that is not advertised.  Also there were signs on the ship asking you not to be in public areas between 3am and 5 am because they were doing deep sanitizing. That is a good thing.  I think they did a great job of trying to keep us safe.   And, for those of you who like to use the phrase “hit and run”, you don’t know what you’re talking about.  I’m an ER nurse.  I clean up hit and runs.   Please be nice.  

38 minutes ago, Donna Hunter said:

I’m sorry your first cruise on Royal was not optimal.  I remember my  first cruise ever, many years ago, and it sucked….because of me not understanding how things work, one of which was to make reservations online (now post Covid it’s immediately upon boarding, at least for now, that could change).  I won’t pretend to try and understand MTD, I always book the early seating.  I’ve seen a lot of complaints regarding this, and I’m shocked they seat people at 9pm, I can understand the wait staff being exhausted (as well as the passengers).  The ships are getting a lot closer to being fully staffed-I’ve been a lot  sailing since August from the 30% capacity and just disembarked , so I’ve noticed the improvement, it’s a process and Covid among crew doesn’t help.

17 minutes ago, Pattycruise said:

I’m sorry your first cruise on Royal was not optimal.  I remember my  first cruise ever, many years ago, and it sucked….because of me not understanding how things work, one of which was to make reservations online (now post Covid it’s immediately upon boarding, at least for now, that could change).  I won’t pretend to try and understand MTD, I always book the early seating.  I’ve seen a lot of complaints regarding this, and I’m shocked they seat people at 9pm, I can understand the wait staff being exhausted (as well as the passengers).  The ships are getting a lot closer to being fully staffed-I’ve been a lot  sailing since August from the 30% capacity and just disembarked , so I’ve noticed the improvement, it’s a process and Covid among crew doesn’t help.

Patty, I know it’s a process and I totally support the crew and their processes.  I love cruising and understand that these times are difficult for many.  Good for you on going on all these cruises!  You are our mentor!

Welcome to the message boards @Donna Hunter!

16 hours ago, Donna Hunter said:

1.  My time dining really means “ships time”.  We were only able to eat in main dining room 3 times and the only time available was 9pm.

I think this is a fair observation. It's why I always do traditional dining, but I know there are lots of folks who like MTD.

2. Worst mattresses at sea.  Hard and lumpy.

I disagree, I always enjoy the mattresses. But, I know @monorailmedic never liked them much either, so it's subjective. One person's "this is too lumpy" is another person's "this is perfect"

3. Not able to obtain desired seatings for shows.  Booking efforts took a lot of time.

This is something you can do easily by booking as soon as you get onboard.  

It's one of many boarding day tips for cruises these days covered here: 

4. One of our group couples were double charged for their ship board charges.  RC acknowledged the mistake but advised it would be 7 before they would be issued a refund.  That is astounding given they are able to withdraw your funds immediately. They should be able to refund them immediately.

This can happen anywhere. They took care of it, right? So chalk it up to just bad luck, but it got taken care of. You did the smart thing and got it taken care of onboard.

Some people wait until they get home, which makes it much more difficult.

5. Problem with the safes.

Sorry to hear it. Probably just a lemon of a safe. I use a safe every cruise and rarely have an issue with them.

6. Not much on TV.

Yup. All the more reason to go explore what there is to do around the ship.

7. Drinks very expensive.  Bought 6 cokes to take to cabin and was charged $24.00. Included the 18% gratuity.  Beer was $9.00 each.  Mixed drinks $12.00-15.00.

As @smokeybandit said, these prices are on par (if not cheaper) than what you would pay for them at a theme park or other tourist destinations.

Still a deal compared to any concert. Wow are they expensive there!

Next time consider an unlimited drink package.

8.  Very good deal on pressing or doing laundry.

Agreed, in the grand scheme of things

9.  Shops fairly expensive.

I think this is the nature of souvenirs. Check out Disney World shops if you want to see expensive souvenirs!

10.  Room service costly if you utilize it much

Agreed, which is why I'd say just skip it

Glad to hear issues 11-14 were positive things!

I love Royal Caribbean, but not every one of my cruises are positive. There's always going to be hiccups.  I take them as learning opportunities to change my approach. Overall, this works well for improving my next sailings.

19 hours ago, Donna Hunter said:

Just got off a cruise on the Harmony July 3.  This was my first RC cruise; family cruise with 4 cabins booked.  The ship was beautiful and the crew for the most part were great, friendly, helpful.  They were, however, clearly stressed and overworked.   The cruise had 6,000 passengers and was full making it difficult to access many wanted activities. 

Thorough review.  To the newcomer, the add-on expenses for sodas, drinks, or laundry can be a surprise, but there are work-arounds that many members use.  One is to maximize On Board Credit (such as through a credit card miles redemption, or gift from your Travel Agent).  Another would be combining a beverage package with Voom, if you are inclined to get it anyway.  Booking the cruise early in the "release cycle" means you get a reduced price and can afford small splurges, too.  I found the small concerts in the park better than some Broadway-style shows, so I made it a point to check the Cruise Compass during our three different Oasis-class cruises. Many other threads talk about tips for cruising that ease the stress (room location impacts elevator use, for example.  A good location means fewer lines waiting for the elevator.).  Part of the enjoyment of cruising is simply managing expectations.  On other business or personal travel I have encountered delayed luggage, missed connections, poor food, poor service, shuttle driver who left me behind, etc.   I haven't yet been left behind on a cruise....Safe travels on your next vacation trip!

PS.  I find I like the foreign language channels on Royal's TV  -- something I don't get from my cable provider at home!

18 hours ago, Donna Hunter said:

I am curious, have you been on a Carnival ship since the restart?

19 hours ago, TXcruzer said:

I am curious, have you been on a Carnival ship since the restart?

good question.

I will say that drinks on Carnival are maybe a $1 or 2 cheaper, but the last time I was at an Alchemy Bar on a Carnival ship 2 drinks ran me $27-28, which breaks down to about the same as on RCL.

I have experienced some of the same problems outlined on both RCL and Carnival ships, sail enough and it happens.

also understanding from OP's perspective as a VIFP Platinum (75+ nights) it would be very similar for someone that was a RCL Diamond to now take their first cruise on a Carnival ship.  They might not enjoy the differences as much.

@Donna Hunter as Matt and others have said welcome to the boards.  I hope you will give RCL another try sometime.  I know I sail on both lines and I think both have a different but enjoyable experience to offer.

Just discovered that RC is continuing to take money from my debit card, 7 days after we departed and the invoice was paid in full before we left the ship.  This happened to other members of our party and they were able to speak to someone at Customer Assistance; they were advised that it was a mistake and the money will be refunded in about 7 days.   I have been on hold for 30 minutes and beyond frustrated.  How does this happen?  And, how often?  Can anyone speak to this if it has happened to you and the outcome?   I really do not like being negative and hoped so much that RC would be a wonderful alternative to Carnival.   To answer someone, this is the first cruise I have had since the pandemic..  The cruise scheduled for January 2022 was canceled.  I am all for giving grace due to this whole mess the world is in due to the pandemic but find it really hard to understand how accounting errors are occurring multiple times within one party of 4 cabins (6 people).  And, if they can take out money immediately, how can they NOT return it immediately?    I am not being a negative Nancy here.  Just frustrated and being honest with talking about my experiences.  I have a Carnival Cruise scheduled for October 2022.   I am a Platinum Member of Carnival and sincerely hope that they are doing a good job as they have done in the past. 

1 hour ago, Donna Hunter said:

Just discovered that RC is continuing to take money from my debit card, 7 days after we departed and the invoice was paid in full before we left the ship.  This happened to other members of our party and they were able to speak to someone at Customer Assistance; they were advised that it was a mistake and the money will be refunded in about 7 days.   I have been on hold for 30 minutes and beyond frustrated.  How does this happen?  And, how often?  Can anyone speak to this if it has happened to you and the outcome?   I really do not like being negative and hoped so much that RC would be a wonderful alternative to Carnival.   To answer someone, this is the first cruise I have had since the pandemic..  The cruise scheduled for January 2022 was canceled.  I am all for giving grace due to this whole mess the world is in due to the pandemic but find it really hard to understand how accounting errors are occurring multiple times within one party of 4 cabins (6 people).  And, if they can take out money immediately, how can they NOT return it immediately?    I am not being a negative Nancy here.  Just frustrated and being honest with talking about my experiences.  I have a Carnival Cruise scheduled for October 2022.   I am a Platinum Member of Carnival and sincerely hope that they are doing a good job as they have done in the past. 

Never 

Ever

Ever use a debit card to guarantee an account, be it cruise ship, hotel, rental car……….

I agree if you can take it out immediately you should be able to put it back as fast.  However cruise lines are not unique in this. Most companies will list in the fine print of their return policies that it can take 1 or 2 billing cycles for your credit to appear.  Just like writing a check (yes I still do write some) that can clear your account overnight but a check deposited can be held for 7 business days.  It always takes longer to get your money back.  It is NOT FAIR but it is legal.  Do you know what the additional charges were for?  Towels they show not returned perhaps?

I was on this same cruise and I had nothing that amazing experiences (other than the casino taking a ridiculous amount of money from me)! And yes, NEVER use a debit card to back an account like this- the banking system is antiquated and it takes a long time for holds/refunds to actually hit an account, it is not necessarily Royal in most cases.

I def will help advice regarding using debit cards.   However, it appears the problem in our cases are due to Royal Caribbean accounting issues.  4 of us, different cabins, had our bank accounts charged twice.  And also charged twice for gratuities. They are still taking out money from my account this morning and the cruise was over seven days ago.  One of our group was finally able to speak to someone at RC Who acknowledged the error and said they would return the funds in seven days.  I am going to my bank in the morning to try to get this fixed.  In all my years of cruising I have never had this happen.  The accounting has always been perfect.     I don’t understand this.   I do believe they will fix it and not too worried about it.  It is obvious an error was made.   I think the next time I cruise I will just give them cash at the beginning and not worry about debit card or credit card issues.    Thanks for all who responded.  Your opinions mean a lot to me.  I love cruising and have always been an ambassador for the industry.   

We just got off Harmony and it was our first time cruising so nothing to really compare it to, but we cannot wait to go back! We were also in a JR suite with the UDP and so that may change some of our experiences. We booked all of our shows the first day and had no problems seeing everything we wanted to. We also booked all of our specialty restaurants the first day and it was a super easy process for us. Beds were great, staff were great. I only wish I had more time on the ship. The only time we felt like we were waiting for any amount of time was cafe promenade for my wife’s specialty coffees. Not a huge deal, but it was a longer wait than I anticipated, but probably not outside the norms of what you would wait at a Starbucks. We also never did room service so I can’t really speak to that either. I am sorry your son has Covid and hopefully he recovers quickly and your next experience with Royal is more closely aligned with what you were hoping. I hope you were able to make the best of it! 

On 7/4/2022 at 7:52 PM, Donna Hunter said:

I’m an ER nurse.  I clean up hit and runs.   Please be nice.  

Thank you for your service.  My wife is a retired RN and spent several years in Florida working in the ER.  These are difficult times to be a health care professional.  Take care, and better luck on your next cruise.