Might want to wait to cruise?

@Sifsig Sorry for your experience. We were on Oasis last October, saw Cats, but only a partial Aqua show due to staffing. Also sorry for the aggressive replies to your post, there are a certain number of folks that come by and drop a bomb and never return. Some folks were confused by the "maiden voyage" term. You probably were on the first cruise out of NJ when Oasis returned from Florida. On a couple of our cruises we also had comedians that told us their first show was "family" friendly and that the late show was adult content. I don't know about the drinks, I always specify a brand of liquor when I order. Although this year I've often had to search for another brand as my preferred brand was not available, no  Greygoose, or no Tanqueray. We did Wonder in March and even though it was about it's fourth or fifth sailing, they still weren't up to speed on everything.  If you've heard talk of things getting back to normal, well compared to last year they are better, compared to pre-covid they still have a ways to go. Folks who are only able to cruise as a "special" vacation do really want and expect to enjoy their hard earned trip and unfortunately these days things don't go right more often than we want.

What's really funny, I really like beer a lot, all kinds of beer.  EXCEPT, I just can't wrap my arms around IPA.  I've lived in Germany for 6 years, 3 years twice.  The first three years was in Bavaria where beer is great.  The picture I posted above is from a local brewery in Vilseck, Germany that I lived just a few miles from.  At first, I really didn't care for Hefe Weisse Beir.  But, man did it grow on me.  There are only a few thing I miss about Germany, the Beer, the Pork, and the partying.  Germans make up events just to drink beer.  I think it's a full time job for some Germans.  Hell, they'd deliver beer to your front door like we, in the U.S., used to have milk delivered to our front doors.  The bier fests and wine fests were plentiful.  

On 7/4/2022 at 7:38 PM, Sifsig said:

I am not saying they water down the bottles....when I wanted a straight boubon, I notice it came off the shelf...a mixed drink the bottles were under the counter. I never looked, noticed or even thought about it until the gentleman I met on the cruise " tipped" for the good stuff. Is there another explanation?

Some of the mix and even sometime the drink of the day are pre mixed in bottles.  In almost every case the Liquor is added.

What I have noticed, since capacity has started to increase is that almost inclusive tip or not most bartenders are watching there pours more carefully.  I have even seen some, at least from my viewpoint (i could be wrong) not even fill the jigger completely. 

I think that throughout the fleet there is more emphasis on controlling costs in the beverage area

4 hours ago, CruiseGus said:

Some of the mix and even sometime the drink of the day are pre mixed in bottles.  In almost every case the Liquor is added.

What I have noticed, since capacity has started to increase is that almost inclusive tip or not most bartenders are watching there pours more carefully.  I have even seen some, at least from my viewpoint (i could be wrong) not even fill the jigger completely. 

I think that throughout the fleet there is more emphasis on controlling costs in the beverage area

I've never been on a cruise so I don't know, but is it possible to order double's when you have the unlimited drinks package? That might help to get around the small measures of alcohol they are using. I live in Ireland, here our shots are 37.5ml at a minimum and I always drink doubles so I'm used to 75ml per drink. I'll be all day trying to get my buzz on with crappy little measures.

4 hours ago, Eddie Ireland said:

I've never been on a cruise so I don't know, but is it possible to order double's when you have the unlimited drinks package? That might help to get around the small measures of alcohol they are using. I live in Ireland, here our shots are 37.5ml at a minimum and I always drink doubles so I'm used to 75ml per drink. I'll be all day trying to get my buzz on with crappy little measures.

my past experience with a drink package has been yes, you can order doubles, but it has been a while sine i have purchased one.

Someone who regularly gets one may have a better answer

Sorry your experience was not as you had hoped.

We just returned to cruising on June 18th (Symphony of the Seas).  I must say that it was awesome to get back to cruising for us and the ship was amazing.  This was not our first Oasis class ship but was our favorite.  The ship was really clean and the staff was really excited the passengers were there.  Service was top notch.  To top all of that, the entertainment was very much alive.  We were fortunate to see Hairspray, the Royal production (Really good), and Hairo (Aquashow).  We did not attend the Ice show as we could not fit it in with all that was happening!

Hope your next experience is a better one!

On 7/4/2022 at 8:17 PM, tonyfsu21 said:

So a multi billion dollar corporation is watering customers drinks down as part of a standard operating procedure? This is quite a stretch to think that RC would waste their time on nonsense like this. Come on! Is this necessary when you charge $9 for a beer and $15 for a mixed drink????? 

While I don't buy into the separate bottles under the counter story I do believe the drinks aren't as strong as they are off the ship. We were on the Anthem OTS (pre-covid) and had the drink package. While I'm not a professional drinker but I am no amateur. I had my share of drinks daily and never felt I was getting close to that line or had any kind of hangover. Thinking my tolerance was at an all time high I had two drinks in Bermuda and almost fell off the chair. 

I am in no way complaining, I mean I had the drink package so if it took me 20 drinks to get where 10 does at home, who cares. My wife enjoys Michelob Ultra and she said they seemed to be the same as far as effect. I have also seen them open bottles in front of me so if they are weakening the alcohol it might be some magic trick. Possibly just smaller shot glasses...  

20 minutes ago, mpdahmer said:

While I don't buy into the separate bottles under the counter story I do believe the drinks aren't as strong as they are off the ship. We were on the Anthem OTS (pre-covid) and had the drink package. While I'm not a professional drinker but I am no amateur. I had my share of drinks daily and never felt I was getting close to that line or had any kind of hangover. Thinking my tolerance was at an all time high I had two drinks in Bermuda and almost fell off the chair. 

I am in no way complaining, I mean I had the drink package so if it took me 20 drinks to get where 10 does at home, who cares. My wife enjoys Michelob Ultra and she said they seemed to be the same as far as effect. I have also seen them open bottles in front of me so if they are weakening the alcohol it might be some magic trick. Possibly just smaller shot glasses...  

The fact that they would take any considerations whatsoever is hard to believe. I would expect this at a dive bar in Guadalajara but certainly not standard operating procedure from a large corporation with massive ramifications. You can’t exactly charge premium money for a beverage package and get away with watered down drinks and “special bottles under the counter”.