Lost luggage/ missing

Can anyone else share their experience with lost or missing luggage? We got off the boat on Friday and 1 out of our 6 bags could not be found. We filled out a paper at the dock. We were hoping maybe someone grabbed it by mistake or that it was found still on the boat. But it's been 2 days and we've heard nothing. What is the process?

51 minutes ago, natalie.gonzalez said:

Can anyone else share their experience with lost or missing luggage? We got off the boat on Friday and 1 out of our 6 bags could not be found. We filled out a paper at the dock. We were hoping maybe someone grabbed it by mistake or that it was found still on the boat. But it's been 2 days and we've heard nothing. What is the process?

My wife lost her suitcase (with all of our souvenirs) at the Southhampton dock in 2015 while disembarking.  You need to file a claim with Royal and follow-up aggressively.  You can also look up emails of executives and complain to them (another site has those contacts).  Last, you need to file a claim with your travel insurance provider.  If you didn't purchase Royal's insurance, I believe they limit reimbursement to $300, and they want receipts for everything.  Otherwise, they depreciate the value of suitcase and belongings.  We were reimbursed by our company (Allianz) up to our maximum, and we also obtained some $$ from Royal.  We were off the ship early, so clearly the suitcase was taken by someone (not our error).  We now always walk off with our suitcases.  Again, follow-up with Royal. 

PS.  Watch your credit cards.  When we filed our claim with Royal, my Royal Visa number was stolen and used in Puerto Rico.  The number was on our claim form for reimbursement.  One never knows how many hands and eyes touch those forms.... Best of luck

17 hours ago, ChessE4 said:

My wife lost her suitcase (with all of our souvenirs) at the Southhampton dock in 2015 while disembarking.  You need to file a claim with Royal and follow-up aggressively.  You can also look up emails of executives and complain to them (another site has those contacts).  Last, you need to file a claim with your travel insurance provider.  If you didn't purchase Royal's insurance, I believe they limit reimbursement to $300, and they want receipts for everything.  Otherwise, they depreciate the value of suitcase and belongings.  We were reimbursed by our company (Allianz) up to our maximum, and we also obtained some $$ from Royal.  We were off the ship early, so clearly the suitcase was taken by someone (not our error).  We now always walk off with our suitcases.  Again, follow-up with Royal. 

PS.  Watch your credit cards.  When we filed our claim with Royal, my Royal Visa number was stolen and used in Puerto Rico.  The number was on our claim form for reimbursement.  One never knows how many hands and eyes touch those forms.... Best of luck

Technology could be of assistance in the future.  Watch Don's YouTube video (Don's Family Vacations) about lost luggage and woman who bought a GPS tracking device and placed it in her luggage.  They can be had for around $30 and a while they require a subscription for tracking, that can be month to month.  My plan is to activate the subscription for the individual months I do any air travel.

I use Air tags in my luggage but you have to take the results with a large grain of salt or in my case large amounts of salt water since that is where the Air tags made it appear my luggage was as I boarded a cruise in Seattle.  

image.thumb.jpeg.76889b4145f7cfce90619da38b2e8019.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.c817e4142599cd8576a428a4629388f2.jpeg

Air tags have no GPS chip or transmitter in them.  They rely on a connected host device to detect the Air tag and based on that devices GPS fix it assumes the Air tag is close by.  If the host device that an Air tag connects to doesn't have a very good GPS fix the Air tag doesn't reflect that as in the case above when 5 minutes later my luggage was delivered to my cabin on the ship.  If I had gone to the small marina next door and confronted some random sailboat owner looking for my luggage I would have been disappointed.

1 hour ago, twangster said:

I use Air tags in my luggage but you have to take the results with a large grain of salt or in my case large amounts of salt water since that is where the Air tags made it appear my luggage was as I boarded a cruise in Seattle.  

I had extra credit card points so I bought AirTags to try out. I hope it works better than this when we go on mariner

44 minutes ago, D Alt said:

This may be why I will from now on always keep my luggage and self-disembark early. 

We’ve been self disembarking since 2011. Just bought AirTags though for our trip to Scotland next week. We’re doing carryon only for fear of lost bags but I’ve heard they’re making a lot of people gate check their carry ons. Just playing out worst case scenario’s because air travel right now is a total sh$tshow. 

Also bought train tickets this morning from London to Edinburgh because British airways is cancelling 1/3 of flights to Edinburgh, most being last minute 

1 hour ago, Matt said:

I had extra credit card points so I bought AirTags to try out. I hope it works better than this when we go on mariner

Literally 5 minutes (or less) after I took that screenshot the next time I checked it said my luggage was with me.  I opened the cabin door and it was two cabins down the hall.  

• 2 months later...

I lost my luggage on Royal carribean cruise i was on last week. I was told to wait 1 to 2 weeks to see if “shows up” and if it doesn’t they are not held liable! I am so very upset and disappointed! Royal needs to pay for my expensive bags, shoes, and wigs! How do i get them to take responsibility??

41 minutes ago, Shatay said:

I lost my luggage on Royal carribean cruise i was on last week. I was told to wait 1 to 2 weeks to see if “shows up” and if it doesn’t they are not held liable! I am so very upset and disappointed! Royal needs to pay for my expensive bags, shoes, and wigs! How do i get them to take responsibility??

Your travel insurance should cover it.  You may also have coverage through whatever credit card you booked the cruise with - you'll have to check and see if  your card offers that, but check your travel insurance for sure.

You can read your cruise contract, which are in the EDocs that you received prior to your cruise, for Royal's liability.  If I'm reading it right, they have more liability if you sail out of Europe, but I only had time to skim it.

"b. Liability for Loss of or Damage to Baggage. Unless negligent, Carrier is neither responsible nor liable for any loss of or damage to Passenger’s property, whether contained in luggage or otherwise."

48 minutes ago, Shatay said:

Royal will pay but it isn’t much.  I think they offered me $300 for a lost bag.  The bag was worth more than that not to mention the contents.  Travel insurance will reimburse you for anything in excess of $300 but it’s a hassle; you have to provide receipts or replacement costs for anything you claim.  I found it to just be too much work so I marked it up to a lesson learned.  I now carry my own luggage off the ship and do not leave it out the night before.  Expensive lesson.

2 hours ago, Shatay said:

I am sorry you had to go through this.  My wife's suitcase was taken when we disembarked in Southampton several years ago.  Since then, we always take our suitcases off the ship ourselves.   Additionally, if we pack anything expensive, we document the contents just in case the suitcase is lost on embarkation.  We have found that Royal's baggage coverage ($ limit) is better than some, but they want receipts, as noted in other posts.  We always have travel insurance of some sort so that we at least get partial reimbursement.  We found it necessary to escalate our claim with Royal's executives.  Again, I hope this doesn't happen to you again, but the other advice that has been provided should help you.

2 hours ago, SpeedNoodles said:

"b. Liability for Loss of or Damage to Baggage. Unless negligent, Carrier is neither responsible nor liable for any loss of or damage to Passenger’s property, whether contained in luggage or otherwise."

I don't get why they don't bu they should be responsible for any loss or damage!

• 1 month later...
On 9/5/2022 at 10:37 AM, Shatay said:

The same thing happened to us on Oct. 03 at freedom, on boarding they lost the main suitcase with all the gifts and souvenirs that my daughter brought from Disney on her first visit, no one is responsible or contacted you to help, totally sad and angry with Royal Caribbean

A nosotros nos pasó igual, embárcanos en el freedom of The seas el 03 de oct en Miami, dejamos todas las maletas por el puesto 1 con el Sr. Jamison de la terminal de Royal caribbean del puerto de Miami. Cuando recibimos las maletas en el camarote falto una maleta, la más grande que desgraciadamente tenía todos los regalos, recuerdos de nuestra semana anterior en Disney, cerré esa maleta con todo esas cosas para ni abrirla en el crucero, pero increíblemente desaparece, nadie sabe nada de ella, cómo puede ser que desaparezca una valija de 23 kl con colores llamativos con tag y candado desde el embarque en el puerto hasta la entrega en el camarote?, nadie me pudo responder!. Mi hija de 11 años está destruida, de la tristeza y el stress se enfermó en el barco y pasó 3 de los 4 días en la cama enferma, nos arruinaron las vacaciones, hasta el momento domingo 09 de octubre, nadie se responsabiliza ni se preocupa, la imagen de la empresa quedó por el piso!!!

E11CFCD7-189C-44CE-869B-7F6D8BB73862.jpeg

FB17EFCE-CB81-449C-97C2-CAD29313385E.jpeg

7FEB79D8-8395-4B51-B39D-57CE4F66CB48.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

How did you guys go about getting the $300 from Royal or contact executives? I am super frustrated. I was told the same. Wait 7-10 business days to see if my luggage “shows up”. The thing is… I had my luggage. I was right by the exit of the port and took my hand off of it to put my birth certificate in my backpack and stepped out the door. My bag was right in my sight and I wasn’t allowed to grab it since it was in the building and I was out of it. It was then deemed “suspicious” until the cruise disembarked entirely and the bag was searched which was like 4 hours later and we had a flight to catch. The port agent took my information so that they could ship the bag to me after (at my expense) but I haven’t heard a thing. Every time we try to contact Royal they have no record of it and say to just wait 7-10 business days to see if it “shows up”. It was right there. It was never lost!!! All the phone calls are like 45 min waits and zero help. 

On 9/5/2022 at 1:19 PM, ChessE4 said:

I am sorry you had to go through this.  My wife's suitcase was taken when we disembarked in Southampton several years ago.  Since then, we always take our suitcases off the ship ourselves.   Additionally, if we pack anything expensive, we document the contents just in case the suitcase is lost on embarkation.  We have found that Royal's baggage coverage ($ limit) is better than some, but they want receipts, as noted in other posts.  We always have travel insurance of some sort so that we at least get partial reimbursement.  We found it necessary to escalate our claim with Royal's executives.  Again, I hope this doesn't happen to you again, but the other advice that has been provided should help you.

I have never cruised.. my first one is in January LOS . You can just take your own carry on luggage to your room on embarkment and on disembarking you can physically take your own baggage of the ship? They won't stop you? 

1 hour ago, Sammie said:

I have never cruised.. my first one is in January LOS . You can just take your own carry on luggage to your room on embarkment and on disembarking you can physically take your own baggage of the ship? They won't stop you? 

If your luggage is carry-on size, then you can take it onto the ship yourself (but I wouldn't, especially if you have an early embarkation time - you'll have to drag it around for a couple of hours and that's a pain).  Anything brought onto the ship has to fit through the security xray machines, and full-sized luggage will not.  At debarkation, yes, you may take your own luggage off as long as  you're equipped to handle it  yourself.

• 11 months later...

@natalie.gonzalez

Last year one of our luggage were missing.  Totaling about $300 of items inside.  Filled or paperwork.  They kept going back and forth about bs. Then, after their "investigation", they couldn't find it.  Never got any reimbursement of any kind just an oops sorry we don't have it. It took about 3-5 months.  Therefore, no, they didn't resolve the problem and it was money thrown away.  

• 2 weeks later...

I can't say I have experienced this myself but this is why we always get SafeTrip travel insurance for our cruising. Some of their insurance plans cover lost luggage during travels and it is so nice to know that if something were to happen to our bags, we would get reimbursed for it. You can also determined what days you need covered for your insurance and you pay based on what you are quoted for how long your travels are - https://www.uhcsafetrip.com/

• 5 months later...