Places to Stay In Barcelona ~ Few Days Before Cruise

I just went on a Trans-Atlantic in April and spent 3 nights in Barcelona.  I stayed at Reserve Hotel Exe Ramblas Boquería in Barcelona (eurostarshotels.co.uk) the Exe Ramblas Boqueria hotel.  The Hotel is on the La Rambla (main walking drag) and the Mercado de La Boqueria (large public market) is right behind it with entrance on both sides.  I was able to walk up the street just a little way and get to the main square to catch the Hop-On-Hop-Off bus.  I had a room that overlooked the street and enjoyed watching the crowds going all hours of the night.  The hotel has a free breakfast, but it is a European breakfast.  If you stay there there is a grocery store across the street where I was able to get waters, drinks and snacks.  I used a Taxi to get from the cruise ship to the hotel and then from the hotel to the airport.  The taxi price was not too bad, and the hotel arranged the pickup I needed for 4 am.

14 hours ago, not easy being green said:

Hi!  We have a few days in Barcelona, before our ship leaves, any suggestions of places to stay for those days before we leave?  We have looked and not really sure how far out some of the hotels are from the docks.  We are not renting a car.

Our TA booked as at the Hotel Colon with transfer to the port.  They had a package if you stayed 2 or more nights.

We've been to Barcelona quite a number of times and have stayed in at least eight different hotels that I remember...

Over the years, we have honed it all down to LOCATION.  By far, the best area in which to stay is close to the Placa Catalunya.  The Placa is the large public square at the head of as Ramblas--Barcelona's great walking promenade.  All of the city's transportation systems--buses, subway, HOHO bus tours, etc. use the Placa as a main hub.  There is a very large El Corte Ingles department store on one side of the Placa with an outstanding supermarket in the basement where you can stock up on drinks, snacks and anything else you need.  Lots of restaurants around the Placa and up and down Las Ramblas.  The Aerobus--cheap transportation to and from the airport--drops off and picks up at the Placa.

In the past, we've used the Continental, the 1898, Hotel Jazz--all in this area.  This next two visits (we have two cruises begininging and ending in Barcelona in the next ten months) we are staying at the H10 Catalunya Plaza--which is right on the Placa.  The Continental is usually a bargain...on Las Ramblas right off the Placa.  We've stayed there twice--but my wife doesn't like the mattresses and the place has some weird decor--sort of plastic and pink. But they do have 24 hour free snacks, beer and cheap wine and balconies overlooking Las Ramblas and is much loved by cruisers...as is the Hotel Jazz.  1898 is a bit pricier, but extremely nice--one of the higherst rated hotels in Barcelona.  H10 is a local chain, but this one is a smallish boutique hotel in that chain...but the location is incredible.

From the Placa, it is a very inexpensive short taxi ride to the cruise pier--at the opposite end of Las Ramblas. 

Edited by Bruin Steve

Sorry for the thread hijack but we are looking for feedback on the Radisson Blu 1882 Hotel, Barcelona Sagrada Familia, Carrer Còrsega, 482, Barcelona, 8025 for a few days post-cruise in October, 2022. Would anyone have an opinion on this hotel and the area.  Also any info on getting from the port in Tarragonna to Barcelona post cruise also appreciated.  Thanks.

4 hours ago, MDabney said:

Sorry for the thread hijack but we are looking for feedback on the Radisson Blu 1882 Hotel, Barcelona Sagrada Familia, Carrer Còrsega, 482, Barcelona, 8025 for a few days post-cruise in October, 2022. Would anyone have an opinion on this hotel and the area.  Also any info on getting from the port in Tarragonna to Barcelona post cruise also appreciated.  Thanks.

The neighborhood is nice enough...but aside from La Sagrada Familia (and it's still about four blocks from that), it's not really close to any of the main tourist sights...How do you plan on getting around Barcelona?  You may find yourself doing a LOT of walking...

The reasons I always recommend the Placa Catalunya?Las Ramblas is the convenience in getting to tourist sights.  Las Ramblas has La Boqueria (the amazing market) and you are right off the Bari Gotic (the Old City--to the East of Las Ramblas with sites such as the old Cathedral, the Jewish Ghetto with an amazing 1,000 year old Synagogue, the Picasso Mueum and more)...Gaudi's Casa Mila and Casa Battlo (and the Block of Discord) are walking distance up Passieg de Gracia.  Park Guell is an easy bus ride up Passieg de Gracia.  So much of the city is right at your doorstep.

We've also stayed at the Hilton in the Financial District on the Diagonal and the only saving grace for us on that visit was that we had a rental car.  And we've stayed at the Gran Havana--much closer to things than the Blu...and, even there, we felt we spent far too much time walking....

If you are at the Blu for several days, you may feel very removed from the action...JMHO... 

We just got back from our Barcelona Cruise.  We stayed at two different places to take advantage of their location.

Before the cruise we stayed at Hotel Europark Barcelona, which is within walking distance of the Sagrada Família, and some of the rooms have a view of it as well.  The hotel was really nice and had a great breakfast.  Also a lot of the rooms have balconies.

After our cruise we stayed at Hotel Barcelona Universal, which is within walking distance of Las Ramblas and Montjuïc Castle, also only about 8 minutes to the port.  They had breakfast but we did not try it out.

A lot of the hotels in Barcelona seem to be comparable, they have similar pricing and amenities.  And there always seem to be lots of food and bars around.  If I were you I would look out for hotels that are on walking streets only, since you will have to haul your luggage across cobblestone baths to get to it.  And maybe find one that is close to a metro if you are interested in that.  But my best piece of advice is find one close to what you want to do in Barcelona.  Whether that be the beach, or a landmark, or shopping.