Sep 28th 9 night Greek Isles out of Rome

KalmKruiser

Screenshot_20220702-125756_Chrome.thumb.jpg.29c55865bfe92ae820ddc220f6fe7b29.jpgScreenshot_20220702-125804_Chrome.thumb.jpg.0bf8297d94fc179e074c7817142b81ff.jpg

My SO and I have these excursions booked for our cruise coming up in September. Just wanted any feed back for this cruise itinerary, ship (odyssey), and these excursions if anyone has any experience with them! Were also doing Athens but were going to do that outside of Royal as they didnt really have many good options and the one they did have got booked up super early. Thank you for any help!

14 minutes ago, FionaMG said:

We did the 9-night cruise in May. See my recap blog here: 

Out of the excursions you listed, the only one we did was the one in Crete, but you'll hopefully find the whole blog useful. 

I did read your blog, looks like an amazing time and I found it very helpful! Did you have Athens on your itinerary as well?

1 hour ago, KalmKruiser said:

I did read your blog, looks like an amazing time and I found it very helpful! Did you have Athens on your itinerary as well?

I'm glad it was helpful. 😊 It was an amazing cruise and I'm sure yours will be too.

We didn't have Athens. We had Rhodes instead. I did visit Athens a few years ago on another cruise and we got the train into the centre. Try and go as early as you can, especially if you want to see the Parthenon. It was very crowded when we went. And be very mindful of your belongings. On the crowded train someone slit open my sister in law's backpack and stole her wallet. She never felt a thing and it was not until we were back on board that she realised.

36 minutes ago, FionaMG said:

I'm glad it was helpful. 😊 It was an amazing cruise and I'm sure yours will be too.

We didn't have Athens. We had Rhodes instead. I did visit Athens a few years ago on another cruise and we got the train into the centre. Try and go as early as you can, especially if you want to see the Parthenon. It was very crowded when we went. And be very mindful of your belongings. On the crowded train someone slit open my sister in law's backpack and stole her wallet. She never felt a thing and it was not until we were back on board that she realised.

Oh wow that's crazy! There's nothing you can really do about that unless you catch it in the moment or always hold your bag in front of you in enclosed crowded spaces. For Athens we are thinking about using With locals to get a private guide for 6 hours to take us to all the sites, the one I've talked to is wanting 400 for the time, and says it will be about 40ish for tickets each person when there. From looking this seems like a good deal to get as much done in a day as possible. We would still have time left after that if we wanted to explore some more. 

9 hours ago, KalmKruiser said:

Oh wow that's crazy! There's nothing you can really do about that unless you catch it in the moment or always hold your bag in front of you in enclosed crowded spaces. For Athens we are thinking about using With locals to get a private guide for 6 hours to take us to all the sites, the one I've talked to is wanting 400 for the time, and says it will be about 40ish for tickets each person when there. From looking this seems like a good deal to get as much done in a day as possible. We would still have time left after that if we wanted to explore some more. 

Yup. Lesson learned.

I think your plan sounds solid. You'll certainly get to see a lot more than you would in a group in a big tour bus. And there is a lot to see!

10 hours ago, Rebecca84 said:

Following this topic as we are also on this cruise and trying to navigate ship excursions vs. booking our own!

From what I have read and seen my two cents on that is that you can really go either way. I would definitely book sooner than later as things seem to sell out fast, personally I would also make sure you aren't settling on doing something you may not be as interested in just because it's through RC excursions. This is our first time out of North America and in Europe so we are not well versed in any aspect of navigating cities and have not grown up with use of public transportation. All in all we are erring on the side of caution and booking anything we can through the cruise excursions just for the benefit of the peace of mind. With the exception of Athens because they had a weirdly small amount of excursion options which i thought was crazy for a city that big! Literally I wanted to do best of Athens but it has been sold out like almost a year in advance!

We ended our Rhapsody cruise in Athens and stayed for 4 nights.  We did two tours through the Athens Walking Tours company.  One was a food tour (we did the breakfast and lunch version 9:30-1:00) and the other was a city, acropolis and agora tour.  Guides were fantastic and tours were small groups. The Athens subway is very good and goes to and from the port to city center on the green line for 1.20 euro each way.  If you come into terminal B, there is a bus kiosk where you can get a 24hour pass for 4.10 euro where you can use the bus, subway and trams for unlimited rides.  Bus from there, the 80x, goes right to the city center.  Terminal b is way out at the edge of the port and is like 1.5 miles from subway.

• 1 month later...

My wife and I are on this cruise as well and have a village and wine tour in Santorini but will be doing our own thing in the other ports. With the amount of ports that we will be visiting it is going to be a very busy time with lots to see and do. Looking forward to the trip and visiting a few places we have not visited before.

• 4 months later...

On 7/13/2022 at 11:44 AM, MR_Soccer said:

We ended our Rhapsody cruise in Athens and stayed for 4 nights.  We did two tours through the Athens Walking Tours company.  One was a food tour (we did the breakfast and lunch version 9:30-1:00) and the other was a city, acropolis and agora tour.  Guides were fantastic and tours were small groups. The Athens subway is very good and goes to and from the port to city center on the green line for 1.20 euro each way.  If you come into terminal B, there is a bus kiosk where you can get a 24hour pass for 4.10 euro where you can use the bus, subway and trams for unlimited rides.  Bus from there, the 80x, goes right to the city center.  Terminal b is way out at the edge of the port and is like 1.5 miles from subway.

What hotel did you stay at in Athens?  Was this one you booked through Royal Caribbean?  Would you recommend it?

We booked a small boutique hotel with a view of the acropolis that some friends had stayed with previously.  It was a great location with subway right out the door and walking distance to the acropolis museum and many restaurants.  Breakfast was included as well.  There is also a rooftop deck open all day.  Here is the information... I did everything through email directly.  

AD Hotel 

[email protected]

+30 2110129765

20220627_191030717_iOS.heic20220627_191030717_iOS.heic