Drinking package Tumbler cups out of stock?

Hey everyone, 

So I have been seeing several post on FB Allure OTS pages about the drink package tumbler cups being out of stock and guest were instead given plain solid color non-insulated cups with bendy straws. The post that I saw specifically mentioned the Allure so I'm curious as to whether anyone else is seeing this on any other ships.

Not to say that it's the end of the world, but I would much rather have an insulated tumbler for several reasons. This August 14th will be our first time on RCCL, sailing on the gorgeous looking Allure, so im crossing fingers they're back.

I'm not sure about this:

I've always been under the understanding that there is a "chip" in the bottom of the tumblers that activate those special Coke machines, you have to purchase the drink package or be in Star Class to get one.  I have no idea what kind of chip it is or even if it is a chip (silicone) that are the kind the world is having a hard time getting right now.  Is the chip one of those or is it something like a magnet?  If it is a silicone chip, could that be the reason for the shortage of the tumblers or at least a switch to another type of tumbler and activating device?  ??????????  Just thunk'in out loud.

14 minutes ago, Moby Dick said:

I'm not sure about this:

I've always been under the understanding that there is a "chip" in the bottom of the tumblers that activate those special Coke machines, you have to purchase the drink package or be in Star Class to get one.  I have no idea what kind of chip it is or even if it is a chip (silicone) that are the kind the world is having a hard time getting right now.  Is the chip one of those or is it something like a magnet?  If it is a silicone chip, could that be the reason for the shortage of the tumblers or at least a switch to another type of tumbler and activating device?  ??????????  Just thunk'in out loud.

The cups use a RFID chip for verification. I wouldn't be shocked if Royal's cups are stuck on an ocean freighter somewhere waiting to be unloaded.

They had them on Oasis this past week.people complained of the non insulated cups sweating.  There was something affixed  to the cup for the soda machine reader but word was it came off due to the cup sweating, 

I wonder if it is a supply chain issue.  They no longer have the Crystal blocks, C&A towels and are running out of the C&A bags.  

if anyone was wanting that insulated cup you’d best buy one on  your own and bring it with you. 

4 hours ago, Rackham said:

The cups use a RFID chip for verification. I wouldn't be shocked if Royal's cups are stuck on an ocean freighter somewhere waiting to be unloaded.

I agree with the RFID/proximity.   But, it makes me think that there is a possibility that it really doesn't ID.  Reason:  I overheard a person that said to another person that he found the tumbler that was in his hand, on the 2nd or 3rd day of the cruise and I heard this conversation on the day before the end of the cruise (a 7 day cruise) that he tried it in the special Coke machine and it worked.  And he's been using it since he found it, yuck!  So, I'm thinking that either the person that lost it, never reported it, which I doubt, OR when a tumbler is lost, the crew just makes sure you are authorized a tumbler and just hands over a new one without inputting the loss of the original.  I'm guessing that chips in the tumblers just authorize its use but not necessarily provides ID to any one person.  So, if you have a tumbler, it works.  It may be programed for the ship and particular cruise, only.  I don't know.  Just fruit for thought.

20 minutes ago, luv2sail said:

Thank you for the heads up! I will bring my insulated cup from home.

Is the new cup something like this:

image.png.444c86ec356645eae40b181de2eea915.png

If the new one is like that, I like what looks like a handle on it.  It can be attached to a back pack or other tote without having to go into it, convenient.  

Every few years Royal changes the cup design.  Back in 2019 these were introduced:

QBbPMpR.jpg

They also used the bendy straw.

The new orange and blue cups pictured above look a lot like the souvenir cups they used to use for Coco Locos at CocoCay back in 2019 (when buying the souvenir version of a Coco Loco).

This could be supply chain issues or it could just be the normal cadence for Royal trying different things like they have in the past.

In 2019 when they introduced the striped version above it had an RFID chip embedded in the plastic base.  You can see the shadow of the chip in this pic:

XMwPyOw.jpg

The new cups are hardly the souvenir they once were. I think most of them will be thrown into a stateroom trash can before the cruise is over. 

If you are a fan of the old cups and want to see their return; IMO to make them return you need to make sure Royal hears loud and clear that the new cups are being thrown into the trash. Because this directly conflicts with their Save The Waves campaign, the similar change to paper straws, and challenges being all around eco friendly.

Also, Royal has an upcoming marketing campaign related to these eco issues as the Icon class ships near their release. Lots of negative clamor about the drink package cups will certainly make them look bad.

9 hours ago, Moby Dick said:

I agree with the RFID/proximity.   But, it makes me think that there is a possibility that it really doesn't ID.  Reason:  I overheard a person that said to another person that he found the tumbler that was in his hand, on the 2nd or 3rd day of the cruise and I heard this conversation on the day before the end of the cruise (a 7 day cruise) that he tried it in the special Coke machine and it worked.  And he's been using it since he found it, yuck!  So, I'm thinking that either the person that lost it, never reported it, which I doubt, OR when a tumbler is lost, the crew just makes sure you are authorized a tumbler and just hands over a new one without inputting the loss of the original.  I'm guessing that chips in the tumblers just authorize its use but not necessarily provides ID to any one person.  So, if you have a tumbler, it works.  It may be programed for the ship and particular cruise, only.  I don't know.  Just fruit for thought.

That's my understanding of how the system works. When the cup is first used, the machine registers the RFID serial, then the cup is good for 14 days (I think it was 14 days?). After 14 days, the cup will no longer activate the Freestyle machines aboard as the serial number is no longer valid.

9 hours ago, Moby Dick said:

It may be programed for the ship and particular cruise, only.  I don't know. 

The chips on the cups make them work for up to 14 days from the first use (longer if the cruise is longer than 14 nights.. On B2Bs that add up to 14 days or less, you can purchase the soda package for the first cruise and it will work the entire time.

16 minutes ago, Psycho and Barb said:

They had the regular cups on the Radiance last month…They were not in our room waiting for us like the old days…Same thing with our last three cruises.  We just had to ask for them at any bar. 

There was also a table on the Promenade on Ovation where the cups could be picked up on boarding day.

17 minutes ago, HeWhoWaits said:

The chips on the cups make them work for up to 14 days from the first use (longer if the cruise is longer than 14 nights.. On B2Bs that add up to 14 days or less, you can purchase the soda package for the first cruise and it will work the entire time.

Just validating that once active, it will remain active in Royal’s system.  My son gets the soda package.  The cup from a 4 day on Navigator out of LA worked just fine on a 7 Harmony out of PC.  The west coast cruise ended on a Friday and the east coast started on Sunday.  Since it was inside the time window, it didn’t matter that he changed ships, or even that he went from the pacific to Atlantic.  LOL! 

Great information, everyone!!  We were given the insulated stripped cups at the beginning of June on Ovation. I dropped mine and it cracked open. I am thinking I may go buy a larger version of my insulated cup. The new Royal cup may at least partially fit inside. 

3 hours ago, Psycho and Barb said:

They had the regular cups on the Radiance last month…They were not in our room waiting for us like the old days…Same thing with our last three cruises.  We just had to ask for them at any bar. 

They had regular cups the week prior, this was the second half of a B2B when they rolled out the new cups.

I’ve not seen cups in the room at all since the restart.  On one sailing on ANTHEM cups were not available until after we ported in Port Canaveral and resupplied. 

5 hours ago, BeachGal said:

Yes, those were the same options on Navigator but we also had yellow to choose from

Yep, on the Yellow, I snapped the photo as they were putting the cups out, having noticed the difference from the previous week of my B2B, I didn’t want to stand around while they unloaded the rest. 

How about this. If one doesn't like the new cups and has one from a previous cruise, perhaps they could bring that one onboard and use it. I know this works for it can be done at the theme parks here in Orlando. Hear me out please. Royal can offer an option when purchasing a drink package for getting a new cup, or bringing an older one. And if you choose to bring your own, the cost should be a little bit cheaper. Once onboard you can either go to guest services or another designated area and once your drink package is confirmed they could re-activate the rfid chip in your cup for the duration of the cruise. If there's an issue with the rfid not working, you would then get a new cup, but would have to surrender your old one. Obviously this can only be done on ships with the Freestyle machines.

1 hour ago, USFFrank said:

How about this. If one doesn't like the new cups and has one from a previous cruise, perhaps they could bring that one onboard and use it. I know this works for it can be done at the theme parks here in Orlando. Hear me out please. Royal can offer an option when purchasing a drink package for getting a new cup, or bringing an older one. And if you choose to bring your own, the cost should be a little bit cheaper. Once onboard you can either go to guest services or another designated area and once your drink package is confirmed they could re-activate the rfid chip in your cup for the duration of the cruise. If there's an issue with the rfid not working, you would then get a new cup, but would have to surrender your old one. Obviously this can only be done on ships with the Freestyle machines.

We're talking about Royal Caribbean's IT here, right!  I wouldn't expect tooooooo much out of them.  That sounds a little complicated.  They haven't even figured out how to use a Flux Capacitor, yet. 

6 hours ago, Ray said:

Sorry but its stealing and shouldn't be advertised! 

When you first use the cup, the Freestyle machine tells you that the cup is active until X date. Royal is up front about the fact that the cup will continue to work. I wouldn't describe it as stealing (unless you believe that using information a business tells you about their product is stealing).

We've never tried the one ship to another and don't plan to cancel the soda packages we bought for the second cruise of our upcoming side to side to find out whether it works or not. 

6 hours ago, USFFrank said:

See, I was thinking the exact same thing. I know that I have refused a Disney resort cup before. As corny as it sounds, I actually collect the Tumblers I get at places as a sort of tchotchke. This will be my first RCCL cruise, so I was looking forward to my little trophy ☺️

6 hours ago, HeWhoWaits said:

When you first use the cup, the Freestyle machine tells you that the cup is active until X date. Royal is up front about the fact that the cup will continue to work. I wouldn't describe it as stealing (unless you believe that using information a business tells you about their product is stealing).

We've never tried the one ship to another and don't plan to cancel the soda packages we bought for the second cruise of our upcoming side to side to find out whether it works or not. 

You may have missed the post that was directly above mine as it was removed. 

This post advertised a hack whereby chip was removed from original cup so it could be used on any cup there after and not necessarily by the person who purchased soda package...so yes thats stealing.

6 hours ago, Ray said:

This post advertised a hack whereby chip was removed from original cup so it could be used on any cup there after and not necessarily by the person who purchased soda package...so yes thats stealing.

Ahhhhh, I was wondering what the "stealing" comment was all about.  I didn't see the post of the hack, or at east didn't pay attention to it.  It all makes sense now.  LOL

19 hours ago, MarcBerger said:

I'm boarding ALLURE tomorrow, last min booking yesterday, so I'm just going to buy the Soda and VOOM package when I board....

So, as long as they have a cup that works with the freestyle machines, I'm cool! 😀

If you don't mind, keep us updated on whether it's the adult sized sippy cups or coca-cola insulated tumblers, please. I'm still hopeful 😂

16 hours ago, Ray said:

Agreed - and yes, I missed that post prior to it being removed.

On 7/2/2022 at 8:04 AM, MaryCS62 said:

Those look like the ones we got several years ago on Coco Cay, with our Coco Loco drinks.  Not a fan if that's the new cup, it's definitely not insulated

Hopefully those are just stop-gap while they are waiting on the insulated cups to work their way through the "supply Chain" debacle.  If not, these are insulated cups, they are insulating the cost to themselves (Royal), these look cheap.

I very rarely use the cups anyway.  On our last cruise, we never even took the plastic wrap off of them.  We brought them home and gave them to gkids. The old ones and now these new ones just don't fit into my/our activities.  We don't eat in the Windjammer (except for breakfast one or two times a cruise), only because of the availability of other venues.  The pizza/ice cream (Ovation) (sorry, can't remember the name of it right now) place is a stop of opportunity, we are usually going to or from another activity.  And the same at other locations where the freestyle machines are located, we don't carry the cups around with us.  When I leave my stateroom, I may have a bottle of water or beer in my hand, not an empty cup that I may or may not use.  That's just me/us.  I understand others love the system and it works well for them, especially those with kids.  I do like the Freestyle Machines, though.  I like the mix and match options.  Carrying a cup around just isn't convenient for us.

Oh no...I hope Tumbler Cups don't go the way of the dinosaur.  My family loves them.  

Although my spouse and I didn't use them because we were pretending to be college kids and drank from the bars like drunken sailors, my kids loved them, took them everywhere, and used them frequently for sodas, water, juices, etc.

Now that we are home, we only use the tumblers for water and other beverages while at home.  I love not having to wash a million glasses a day because my family thinks glassware is single use only.