Pre Cruise Test

I’m sure this has been answered many times before, but I’m going to ask again. My husband and I are both vaccinated..can we use a store bought covid test and use a teleservice like OnPoint to meet the pre cruise requirements? Has anyone used a home test other than the ones royal Caribbean offers?  

I have the same question now that Walgreens is no longer an easy, free option. The eMed tests are a bit expensive and it’s annoying that you need extras in case something goes wrong. With OnPoint, you provide the test which is nice considering I have a bunch on hand already. Has anyone successfully used them to board a Royal cruise?

https://onpoint-testing.com/product/certified-teleservice-covid-testing/?gclid=CjwKCAjw7vuUBhBUEiwAEdu2pD8xTcr9bSC4yULHQ70vMiN_0RH6cLc_OyBV_h0BpSfjiR_s2O18thoCuF8QAvD_BwE&fbclid=IwAR0Bl_rH3_AqXNZ2WEHhBtsFEKld4coIN84iCPMyT41ClVvvZglLsrhmyDg&fs=e&s=cl

Yes you can use OnPoint or RapidTestAndTrace (amongst others). There have been many reports of each elsewhere in cyberspace.

OnPoint is a bit cheaper ($14.99 vs. $20 right now) but I felt a bit better about RapidTestAndTrace after reading comments and having a live chat with Rapid.

Just one man's opinion of course. Do your own research, wait for Matt to chime in, do whatever makes you feel comfortable.

*NOTE: I have not used either as I don't need to test until 7/13 and previously used Walgreens.

1 hour ago, OCSC Mike said:

Yes you can use OnPoint or RapidTestAndTrace (amongst others). There have been many reports of each elsewhere in cyberspace.

OnPoint is a bit cheaper ($14.99 vs. $20 right now) but I felt a bit better about RapidTestAndTrace after reading comments and having a live chat with Rapid.

Just one man's opinion of course. Do your own research, wait for Matt to chime in, do whatever makes you feel comfortable.

*NOTE: I have not used either as I don't need to test until 7/13 and previously used Walgreens.

OCSC Mike, you have made me feel better about the testing situation. Your voice of reason is much appreciated. I had been expecting changes but the Walgreens news surprised me anyway. 

We will be boarding in one week and two hours from now with our RapidTest&Trace results.🙂 I can report back if anyone is interested.

11 minutes ago, luv2sail said:

OCSC Mike, you have made me feel better about the testing situation. Your voice of reason is much appreciated. I had been expecting changes but the Walgreens news surprised me anyway. 

We will be boarding in one week and two hours from now with our RapidTest&Trace results.🙂 I can report back if anyone is interested.

Glad to help. I was Walgreens' biggest fan and also surprised. Don't think I was exactly calm and happy about the news when I first read about it, lol. But having prior knowledge of those 3rd party proctor sites helped and after some brief research and contacting rapidtestandtrace I returned to a better state of mind.

I'm as frugal as it gets so don't think I'm happy about spending even $20pp to be tested, but it is what it is.

By all means report back! Those reports are what help people learn and base their decisions on. Hope your party tests negative and you have a great cruise!

*One additional note about rapidtestandtrace... I asked on live chat if my wife and I scheduled back to back appointments could we just stay on the video conference and be tested one after another even though two separate appointments are required. Their response was yes, just inform the nurse at the outset. It was the interaction like this combined with a few things I had read about OnPoint that led to me choosing rapid.

9 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

*One additional note about rapidtestandtrace... I asked on live chat if my wife and I scheduled back to back appointments could we just stay on the video conference and be tested one after another even though two separate appointments are required. Their response was yes, just inform the nurse at the outset. It was the interaction like this combined with a few things I had read about OnPoint that led to me choosing rapid.

Great information! We will mention our B2B appointments when the first one begins. I was a definitely a Walgreens cheerleader. Prior to yesterday I thought the only online choice was emed. I was not thrilled about paying express shipping charges while hoping the tests arrived in time to test. Being able to use the test in which I am familiar is also a big plus.  Crisis averted!!🙂

You have a great cruise, too!!

We did OnPoint last night. It was very quick and easy. My husband and I were able to do it on one appointment and use only one box of the Abbott Binax tests. They emailed us PDF of our results and it included everything that was listed on the Royal Carribean requirements..CLIA#, results, day taken etc. We’ll see Monday if RC accepts it. I do feel confident though. 

I just made a fake appointment with my local Walgreens near Tampa Florida for a rapid test (then cancelled it). Seems the same as usual - free. Except: They REALLY want your insurance info now, but still free to me. Walgreens does appointments about a week out in my area. 

40 minutes ago, Swar said:

I just made a fake appointment with my local Walgreens near Tampa Florida for a rapid test (then cancelled it). Seems the same as usual - free. Except: They REALLY want your insurance info now, but still free to me. Walgreens does appointments about a week out in my area. 

Others have done that and then been told they will be charged when they show up. I would verify it will be free if you actually plan to use them at some point.

1 hour ago, OCSC Mike said:

Others have done that and then been told they will be charged when they show up. I would verify it will be free if you actually plan to use them at some point.

I used them a week ago with no issues. 

15 minutes ago, Swar said:

Ok, I'll sign up for a test next week and report back. Retired and have nothing else to do with my time.

Just signed up for a test on July 5th at 1530. Will update next week. The verbiage seemed very clear. if no insurance - no cost. If insured they would bill insurance company if they could. 

Per the Walgreens web site as of today (02 July) it says if you're "High Risk or Pregnant" the test may be free*. 

* You will not have out-of-pocket costs if you meet the criteria for no-cost testing through your insurance or a government-funded program. You should contact your insurer before scheduling to confirm the test meets coverage criteria. You may be billed by Walgreens and, if applicable, the laboratory for up to the full price of the test if your insurance denies coverage or you don't meet eligibility criteria for government no-cost testing programs. 

According to the HHS web site at https://combatcovid.hhs.gov/i-have-covid-19/how-do-i-know-if-im-high-risk  "High Risk" conditions include being age 65 or older. SO, might I (as a certified Olde Fahrt who is north of age 65) still get a test done at Walgreens and have them bill Medicare? Does anyone know what truly qualifies as meeting the "eligibility criteria for government no-cost testing programs". 

9 minutes ago, Lugnut said:

Per the Walgreens web site as of today (02 July) it says if you're "High Risk or Pregnant" the test may be free*. 

* You will not have out-of-pocket costs if you meet the criteria for no-cost testing through your insurance or a government-funded program. You should contact your insurer before scheduling to confirm the test meets coverage criteria. You may be billed by Walgreens and, if applicable, the laboratory for up to the full price of the test if your insurance denies coverage or you don't meet eligibility criteria for government no-cost testing programs. 

According to the HHS web site at https://combatcovid.hhs.gov/i-have-covid-19/how-do-i-know-if-im-high-risk  "High Risk" conditions include being age 65 or older. SO, might I (as a certified Olde Fahrt who is north of age 65) still get a test done at Walgreens and have them bill Medicare? Does anyone know what truly qualifies as meeting the "eligibility criteria for government no-cost testing programs". 

It asked me if I have fatigue, headaches, and so on. Of course I do (100% disabled, jumped out of airplanes for 5 years, and I'm old). It also asked if you have been around a possible COVID person. So almost any human is probably high risk. if you have zero risk factors and just say that you want to travel is when they will probably try to charge you.

14 minutes ago, Carotthat said:

What do you think about PCR Test for kiddos - as RC states, all kids over 2 have to bring a PCR-Test (if not vaccinated).

As I am browsing the net, most walk-ins only provide tests for 3+.

I think we are stuck 🤐

Maybe state your town/state/country?  Someone may be able to provide better insight on facilities they used

3 hours ago, Carotthat said:

As posted here 

we're on a road trip with last station Adventure OTS.

I’ve been asking in the 2 cruise groups I’m in.  So far the only seemingly valid responses are CVS….or this one (located in Manhattan ). It’s not cheap but if you can find rapid (antigen) tests for everyone else you can reduce your costs.

https://bloomsafely.com/schedule-appointment?branding=BLOOM LABS&location=NY&_gl=1*1yaq0sc*_gcl_aw*R0NMLjE2NTY4ODEzNjguQ2p3S0NBandfSVNXQmhCa0Vpd0FkcXhiOW5CQ0ZXS2RaSFJLNkRZZjNGbFpTZENra2Q4X0JUQl9EaHJEQjUwYWZ1QXptSlZRVHJzcGZCb0Nhd1VRQXZEX0J3RQ..&_ga=2.7475761.209939848.1656881369-1296422113.1656881369&_gac=1.180495189.1656881369.CjwKCAjw_ISWBhBkEiwAdqxb9nBCFWKdZHRK6DYf3FlZSdCkkd8_BTB_DhrDB50afuAzmJVQTrspfBoCawUQAvD_BwE

Update to Walgreen testing.

They do not take Medicare A or B. They will take some of the Medicare Advantage Plans. They do not take VA either. If no insurance, $128 bucks. Luckily they take Tricare - so it's still free for my family. 

Medicare does say that you can get one non-doctor ordered Covid test. You also get 8 home tests a month. On Point sounds like the best option for the people who have to pay.

Good Website for Medicare:

https://www.medicare.gov/medicare-coronavirus

11 minutes ago, Swar said:

Update to Walgreen testing.

They do not take Medicare A or B. They will take some of the Medicare Advantage Plans. They do not take VA either. If no insurance, $128 bucks. Luckily they take Tricare - so it's still free for my family. 

Medicare does say that you can get one non-doctorated Covid test. You also get 8 home tests a month. On Point sounds like the best option for the people who have to pay.

Good Website for Medicare:

https://www.medicare.gov/medicare-coronavirus

For my prescriptions, I used to use a local pharmacy.  I was informed a few months ago that our wonderful government/MEDICARE/TRICARE will no longer authorize our local and many others, pharmacy.  We now have to use CVS  for our short term/none permanent prescriptions.  We still use Express Script for our permanent, mail order, prescription.  So, I can't get a test at my local pharmacy and, last time I checked, my local CVS doesn't do any testing, or at least rapid (15 -30 minute variety) testing.  They do sell rapid/self tests when available.  

HOWEVER, the manager of our local pharmacy is also a very nice lady that my daughter went to high school with.  So, we try to stay in touch with her.  About two weeks ago, I called her to find out what kind of sharps I used to get from them so I can get some or order them from CVS.  She said that they have been submitting claims to TRICARE and they've been receiving payment.  So, at this point, I'm not sure what to think.  We did go ahead and get the sharps from the local pharmacy, I got a year's worth at about .26 cents each (no insurance involved), that 12 sharps LOL.  

So, if I NEED to test for travel again, I'll be looking/inquiring my local pharmacy to see if TRICARE is still paying them.  Or just go with eMed, et al, as I think it is the best choice anyway.  But, I would prefer to support my local pharmacy/businesses.

I PREFER TO SUPPORT MY LOCAL BUSINESSES!

11 minutes ago, Moby Dick said:

For my prescriptions, I used to use a local pharmacy.  I was informed a few months ago that our wonderful government/MEDICARE/TRICARE will no longer authorize our local and many others, pharmacy.  We now have to use CVS  for our short term/none permanent prescriptions.  We still use Express Script for our permanent, mail order, prescription.  So, I can't get a test at my local pharmacy and, last time I checked, my local CVS doesn't do any testing, or at least rapid (15 -30 minute variety) testing.  They do sell rapid/self tests when available.  

HOWEVER, the manager of our local pharmacy is also a very nice lady that my daughter went to high school with.  So, we try to stay in touch with her.  About two weeks ago, I called her to find out what kind of sharps I used to get from them so I can get some or order them from CVS.  She said that they have been submitting claims to TRICARE and they've been receiving payment.  So, at this point, I'm not sure what to think.  We did go ahead and get the sharps from the local pharmacy, I got a year's worth at about .26 cents each (no insurance involved), that 12 sharps LOL.  

So, if I NEED to test for travel again, I'll be looking/inquiring my local pharmacy to see if TRICARE is still paying them.  Or just go with eMed, et al, as I think it is the best choice anyway.  But, I would prefer to support my local pharmacy/businesses.

I PREFER TO SUPPORT MY LOCAL BUSINESSES!

I must admit that I was surprised that Walgreens took Tricare. Our local Publix stores give me most of my Tricare prescriptions. We are within a few miles of an AF Base and get the more expensive prescriptions filled at the Base.

Rapid Test & Trace Procedure Update

I will post a quick update about boarding with the documentation on Saturday or Sunday. But I wanted to post my testing experience today, which was fantastic.

Each person has to book their own appointment.  Mom's was first. She had a camera issue and we were unable to turn it on. We could hear the nurse and were able to talk to her. We asked if she could join my appointment, and she was able. The nurse could not have been more helpful, patient, and kind. We instantly had our results. 

Negative result, so we are on our way!! 

By reading the RCL page once again, I saw this indepth:

Unvaccinated kids age 2 to 11 must show a negative test result for a PCR test (not antigen) taken no more than 3 days before boarding day.

AND

Per U.S. CDC guidance, only vaccinated guests may present self-administered telehealth COVID-19 test results at the terminal to satisfy the pre-cruise testing requirement.

Supervised telehealth tests are not accepted for unvaccinated guests – only for vaccinated guests

-> our daughter with 10y, not vaccinated, has to have a live in person PCR test.......

I did not yet see this combination 🙄

On 7/4/2022 at 12:21 PM, kjones123 said:

Just an update..our OnPoint test was accepted with no issues. 

Great to hear that. Would you mind letting me know if the CLIA number was on your OnPoint test results? I called OnPoint and their representative said that the CLIA number is NOT on the results which is making me hesitant to use them. 

9 minutes ago, Diane O said:

Great to hear that. Would you mind letting me know if the CLIA number was on your OnPoint test results? I called OnPoint and their representative said that the CLIA number is NOT on the results which is making me hesitant to use them. 

You know I was just about to tell my wife we should use OnPoint until I saw your post that the Clia number is not on the results.

39 minutes ago, Diane O said:

No it doesn’t. Does Royal state anywhere that CLIA # is required?

We did have a CLIA number on our OnPoint test. When you do OnPoint they give you a link to set up an online health profile. After doing the they send you a text with a link to follow. On that link is a document with the test results and everything you need for boarding. We had no issues at all getting through with our OnPoint test. They barely even looked at our stuff. They were really only concerned with our unvaccinated 5 year old.