Quantum of the Seas Engine Issues

On 7/23/2022 at 8:49 AM, smokeybandit said:

The current Quantum itinerary wasn't even scheduled for Dawes Glacier. Unless you meant Tracy Arm Fjord, which look like it was skipped, but seeing as she's sailing at 20 kn, I don't think her engines are of concern.

image.png.1ab97758bee2aa5aea2a1838d0b7a14b.png

This is interesting because my Cruise Compass from 7/22/22 does say Endicott Arm/Dawes Glacier and the cruise director had mentioned us going to it that morning. However when we woke up at 5am that morning we were already in Juneau caused by the kid breaking his arm like I mentioned in my previous post. The emergency alarm went off around 1130pm, as we were in Music Hall we couldnt quite understand what it was saying but ended up hearing the whole story until later.

Wow did not see these posts till now!!!!! This was more than SHADY! I am a RN and what kind of medical staff cannot stabilize a compound fracture? What are they good for? Dramamine? Covid tests? A kid with an ear infection? Seems like they need to upgrade their medical facilities, equipment and staff. We were only seeing the glacier for 4 hours. I highly doubt There would have been any difference in the condition of the teenager who was hurt. Where were this kid’s parents? Wake up people they were never planning on taking us to see any glaciers. And by the way for those of you who are commenting that there was a Glacier in Juneau that we could’ve gone and see the Mendenhall glacier, you had to board a bus that was very difficult for people with mobility issues such as my husband and you had to pay extra money to go see it instead of the joy of being able to see it from your balcony or the top of the cruise ship it is ridiculous. They are basically trying to keep our money and we didn’t get what we paid for. And I’m sorry the food was terrible.

It seems that the engine parts for the Alaska sailings in August and September on Quantum, will not be done on time. I just received an email From Royal that our itinerary for the Sept 12th Sailing from Seattle has been changed to new ports and times 😔

"Dear Guest,

Due to speed limitations caused by a technical issue with one of the ship’s engines, we’ve replaced our visit to Skagway, Alaska and Endicott Arm & Dawes Glacier. Instead, we’ll visit Ketchikan, spend more time in Juneau, and we’ll visit Sitka a day later.

Your safety, and that of our crew, is always our top priority. Our ship has four engines, but one requires some repair and there’s a delay in receiving the parts needed. Additionally, another engine is scheduled for routine maintenance soon, which means we’ll have to reduce our overall speed. Our ships can safely sail in these kinds of situations at reduced speeds, and while we’re working to expedite the repair process, the global supply chain issues that we’re all experiencing are complicating this situation.

The decision to modify our itinerary wasn’t taken lightly. We’ve done everything possible to minimize the impact to your time with us, and we’re terribly sorry for the inconvenience."

Mon

Seattle, Washington

4:00 PM

Tue

Cruising

Wed

Ketchikan, Alaska

7:00 AM

Thu

Sitka, Alaska

8:00 AM

Fri

Juneau, Alaska

7:30 AM

3:00 PM

Sat

Cruising

Sun

Victoria, British Columbia

5:00 PM

10:00 PM

Mon

Seattle, Washington

We previously had the Glacier Inside passage and Skagway in our itinerary. At least they are providing us with an onboard credit:

• $75 USD for Interior and Ocean View staterooms
  • $100 USD for Balcony staterooms
  • $200 USD for Suites"

Hopefully this information helps anyone on this particular cruising and others in September. Although frustrating we have booked a glacier viewing excursion that hopefully will make up for the loss of the inside passage. 

It seems that the engine parts for the Alaska sailings in August and September on Quantum, will not be done on time. I just received an email From Royal that our itinerary for the Sept 12th Sailing from Seattle has been changed to new ports and times. I didn't realize there was already a topic on this and wouldn't of made a separate post. 

The August 22 sailing has now been affected. Icy point Strait is cancelled and replaced by Ketchikan, Endicott Arm & Dawes Glacier viewing is cancelled, our Arrival/Departure times for Skagway much later, and our Arrival/Departure times for Juneau are now MUCH earlier. This ruins a lot of our port plans!

Dear Guest,

Due to speed limitations caused by a technical issue with one of the ship’s engines, we’ve replaced our visit to Icy Strait Point, Alaska with Ketchikan, Alaska. Additionally, instead of visiting Endicott Arm & Dawes Glacier on Friday, we’ll have a full day in Juneau, Alaska.

Your safety, and that of our crew, is always our top priority. Our ship has four engines, but one requires some repair and there’s a delay in receiving the parts needed. Additionally, another engine is scheduled for routine maintenance soon, which means we’ll have to reduce our overall speed. Our ships can safely sail in these kinds of situations at reduced speeds, and while we’re working to expedite the repair process, the global supply chain issues that we’re all experiencing are complicating this situation.

The decision to modify our itinerary wasn’t taken lightly. We’ve done everything possible to minimize the impact to your time with us, and we’re terribly sorry for the inconvenience. To help make up for these changes, we’re providing you with an onboard credit:

• $75 USD for Interior and Ocean View staterooms
  • $100 USD for Balcony staterooms
  • $200 USD for Suites

Your credits will be available for you once onboard and can be used anywhere on the ship. If you have a remaining amount left over at the end of the cruise, it will be refunded to your card on file.

Nevertheless, we’re excited to take you to a new port and spend some extra time in Juneau! Below, please find our revised Quantum of the Seas August 22nd, 2022 itinerary.

Day

Port of Call

Arrive

Depart

Mon

Seattle, Washington

Tue

Cruising

Wed

Ketchikan, Alaska

1:00 PM

Thu

Skagway, Alaska

11:00 AM

9:00 PM

Fri

Juneau, Alaska

3:00 PM

Sat

Cruising

Sun

Victoria, British Columbia

5:00 PM

10:00 PM

Mon

Seattle, Washington

Ketchikan is your gateway to the wild landscapes and seascapes of Misty Fjords National Monument. Home to three tribes of the Northwest Coast Indians, it’s a great place to get a taste for the local culture. Check out its colorful, hand carved totems that line the city’s streets and park, and in the stilted homes that cling to Deep Mountain’s slopes. In Juneau, take your pick of activities ranging from whale watching in Stephens Passage to setting out on a dog-sledding expedition with the Alaskan Huskies. Located just 12 miles from town, the Mendenhall Glacier is ready for you to explore its beauty and majesty. Be sure to take some time and enjoy this amazing natural wonder while in Juneau. Whatever you decide to do, these destinations have endless opportunities for any adventure seeker!

Our Shore Excursions team will automatically reschedule any pre-paid Royal Caribbean International shore excursions booked for Skagway and Juneau affected by this change. In the meantime, feel free to browse all the exciting shore excursion options for your sailing in Cruise Planner to level-up your vacation.

Thanks for your understanding. We can’t wait to welcome you onboard Quantum of the Seas!

Sincerely,

Aurora Yera-Rodriguez
AVP | Guest Experience
Royal Caribbean International

22 minutes ago, SLT31021 said:

I am sailing on Quantum 9/12, I just got the letter that this sailing is also skipping Skagway, Endicott arm & Dawes glacier and getting a $100 OBC in its place. I am so dissapointed!!! The "7 night Alaskan Glacier cruise" is no longer going to the glacier!!

I was on that one too.  A month ago, I cancelled and booked Discovery Princess instead.  Skagway will be impacted most likely on the new one, but the glacier is hopefully still a go. 

36 minutes ago, Chili said:

I wonder if it will be fixed for the trans pacific?

Might not need to.  Those are often performed at 18 - 20 knots.  They don't tend to plan long voyages assuming max speed for days on end.  

Alaska is impacted because one leg requires high speed.  Losing the top speed for one leg in Alaska has a ripple effect on the rest of the itinerary.  I don't think we'll see the same impact on a transpac.  

36 minutes ago, twangster said:

Might not need to.  Those are often performed at 18 - 20 knots.  They don't tend to plan long voyages assuming max speed for days on end.  

Alaska is impacted because one leg requires high speed.  Losing the top speed for one leg in Alaska has a ripple effect on the rest of the itinerary.  I don't think we'll see the same impact on a transpac.  

I was kind of thinking if they can’t fix it and the sales for Quantum are dragging along the bottom of the ocean ,they could swap it for Navigator.

But that wouldn’t happen as I don’t think Quantum can hook up to shore power.

1 hour ago, Chili said:

I was kind of thinking if they can’t fix it and the sales for Quantum are dragging along the bottom of the ocean ,they could swap it for Navigator.

But that wouldn’t happen as I don’t think Quantum can hook up to shore power.

Quantum is selling pretty good in Oz.  Better than the following Alaska season, for now.  

1 hour ago, twangster said:

Quantum is selling pretty good in Oz.  Better than the following Alaska season, for now.  

It’s selling but nowhere as good as Ovation.

Just looking at my agent and the page is full of specials on Quantum.

Plenty of grand suites available at about $AU 300 a night for 2 .

I wish we could get prices like that on Ovation out of sydney, you can almost double that if currently available.

If they throw in a tour of Brisbane sewage plant ,I might think about it.

24 minutes ago, Chili said:

It’s selling but nowhere as good as Ovation.

Just looking at my agent and the page is full of specials on Quantum.

Plenty of grand suites available at about $AU 300 a night for 2 .

I wish we could get prices like that on Ovation out of sydney, you can almost double that if currently available.

If they throw in a tour of Brisbane sewage plant ,I might think about it.

I thought you already went on a sewer tour.  Oh wait... that was P&O.    

28 minutes ago, twangster said:

I thought you already went on a sewer tour.  Oh wait... that was P&O.    

It was a wreck tour ,there was great big sections of steel rusted away at the front of the ship. They just taped plastic cardboard over it and painted it so it looked the part.

wonder what it was like below the waterline?

I'm on the August 1st sailing and as of today (day 4th) the itinerary has remained with no issues. We received the OBC on Day 2 and it was more than what they are offering to the late August and September sailings. Yes, we miss not being able to view the glaciers, but so far we have enjoyed the cruise. Read today on James Van Fleet instagram that the Radiance was not able to visit Hubbard's Glacier due to fog. My friend went in July on the Norwegian Sun and they weren't able to visit the glaciers due to the fog too. So, In my humble opinion, RC decision on skipping the glaciers instead of shortening the time in the ports was a good call. 

1 hour ago, Sari said:

I'm on the August 1st sailing and as of today (day 4th) the itinerary has remained with no issues. We received the OBC on Day 2 and it was more than what they are offering to the late August and September sailings. Yes, we miss not being able to view the glaciers, but so far we have enjoyed the cruise. Read today on James Van Fleet instagram that the Radiance was not able to visit Hubbard's Glacier due to fog. My friend went in July on the Norwegian Sun and they weren't able to visit the glaciers due to the fog too. So, In my humble opinion, RC decision on skipping the glaciers instead of shortening the time in the ports was a good call. 

How soon after changing your itinerary we’re you able to book new excursions? Would like to book some new excursions now that some of the others will have to be canceled (I will be on Sept 19th sailing) 

On 8/6/2022 at 5:59 AM, SueB said:

Excursions for 8/22 sailings are now posted for Ketchikan in cruise planner.  

We are on the 9/19 sailing and the Ketchikan excursions posted for us too. We also got the email that out Icy Straight excursion had been refunded  but haven’t heard anything about the excursions for Skagway and Juneau which are booked but now outside of the time we are in port. I wonder if those times will just be adjusted or they will cancel them all together. If they plan on canceling I’d like to know sooner versus later to be able to book something else 😊  

13 hours ago, SFaz said:

Icy Straight excursion had been refunded  but haven’t heard anything about the excursions for Skagway and Juneau which are booked but now outside of the time we are in port. I wonder if those times will just be adjusted or they will cancel them all together.

We booked third party excursions for all ports and I contacted them when I found out about the itinerary changes.

They refunded our IPS excursion and they are looking to see if the time for our Juneau excursion can be adjusted. 

image.png.ce8c54fd6812732155f061e035a88586.png

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, robbyc said:

We were on Quantum 8/8 - 15.  I saw cruise speeds of 20 kts (I think I saw 22 once).  With speeds like that I don't know why we had to alter the itinerary.

There is a difference between getting lucky and hitting the currents and winds right so that they reach that speed spontaneously and temporarily versus being able to sustain that speed when the weather is working against the ship and for extended periods of time.

They can't plan an itinerary hoping they'll get the best weather favorable to maximum speed week after week.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/9/2022 at 4:26 PM, CrimsonCruiser said:

I do hope though, that Quantum gets whatever service it needs to not keep having issues. While the ship is doing alaska is rarely far from land, the fact is no one wants to be in a abandon ship scenario

It's no where close to that scenario.  If it was USCG wouldn't let it sail.  

• 5 months later...