St. Kitts Rainforest Adventure

brdjnr

Has anyone done this?  I searched the forum (and even google) trying to find more information. 

is it truly strenuous? My wife isn't into 'working' on a vacation, and will not be happy with me if it is.  I know what is strenuous to one isn't to another so this is a subjective question.  When we were in Alaska we did what would appear to be a similar 'hike' that was walking on sometimes uneven trails that were wet in places. She enjoyed that, but if this is much elevation change I will be in trouble.

I assume you are asking about the Mt Liamugia Rainforest Hike. Search it on you tube. You will find a video that gives you a good idea of the hike. By all accounts it is a strenuous hike that includes rock scrambling at times. Also when you search read some reviews as those also give you a good idea of the difficulty. I looked at the hike myself. My husband and I hike a good amount in the Smoky Mountains and are used to a good amount of elevation gain per mile. This hike is at the upper end of that. I am hesitant after reading some reviews as I don't like to hike at other's pace, so we may skip this. This is a clip of the hike that I found and there are more on you tube.

• 2 weeks later...

We did this back in December.  We were by ourselves with Javin of myjavin tours.  Because it was just us and because we asked, he took us beyond the normal hike area.  We are both 57.  I think it was about a mile tops.  It is not hard.  We have also climbed Mt Liamuga on another trip which was doable but harder.  Just have good shoes.  We asked to just do the extended hike, the snorkeling and the beach.  We had a terrific experience snorkeling.  No longer will we say st kitts has no snorkeling.  I guess it depends on how willing your wife is to just try it.  

I'd be wary. I didn't do the same excursion so feel free to take with a grain of salt but...

A few years ago I did an excursion with RC that wasn't labeled strenuous which was 100% a lie. It was running up a mountain. At the time I jogged often but when I saw the people doing this excursion I knew I was in for it, they looked like runners. There is no way I can jog UP a mountain. There was a point where i realized my heart was beating too fast and this wasn't good for me.  I made it halfway and had to turn around and make my way back down. I could hike but running upwards was never in the cards for me. I was one of the last people who didn't make it to finally give up -  and had to wait for a guide to bring me back down. If in any way the excursion mentioned running I would have known not to do it. 

They have since labeled it "strenuous" and I'm glad. People must have complained and it was changed.