Teppanyaki & Unlimited Dining?

MG728

My question is 2 part if anyone can help:

1- My husband & I have the UDL- how does it apply to the Teppanyaki (I’m guessing just an additional upcharge? But unsure how it works…

2- We want to take out 3 kids(13,12&8) to Teppanyaki as the love it. They do not have the UDL. Is it more economical to buy them Teppanyaki through the cruise planner? Then could I change the reservation so the 5 of us can dine together when we board?

1.  Yes.  You will just pay a $10 upcharge since you already have the UDP.

2.  This will depend on onboard prices.  As a general rule, you do realize a small savings by purchasing the individual meals on the Cruise Planner ahead of time.  They have been known to offer discounts once onboard but I think that these are much more rare these days as it seems like the specialty restaurants (and hibachi, in particular) are pretty heavily booked.  The biggest advantage to purchasing the hibachi now is that you will guarantee yourselves seats.  As a matter of fact, I think if it were me, I would go ahead and purchase all 5 hibachi meals now and then arrange for a refund for the 2 of you once you get onboard.  Getting reservations for 5 at the hibachi table could be a challenge once onboard.  It will mean outlaying some cash up front, but if having the 5 of you dining at hibachi together at a time of YOUR choosing (not having to take whatever seats/times are left over), it will be worth it.

Thanks! This is very helpful! This is a priority for us since often my young teens want to be on their own at the buffet for dinner and we prefer family meals! If I go ahead and purchase the 5 together now, is it difficult to then be refunded for the 2 (my husband and I under UDP). Sorry to bug you with a follow up question!

Reserve hibachi for your entire party ahead of time. It's really the best way to guarantee you will have seats. As @WAAAYTOOO stated those with a dining package can have the cost refunded once onboard. 

I do NOT suggest booking those 3 without the package and expecting to add the others once you board. There's no way to guarantee someone else won't make reservations and fill up that table.  Hibachi has a finite number of seats per time slot, unlike the other specialty restaurants.

35 minutes ago, MG728 said:

If I go ahead and purchase the 5 together now, is it difficult to then be refunded for the 2 (my husband and I under UDP).

Just go to Guest Services at some point on the cruise and they will refund you. I would make it a point to do it prior to your hibachi reservation so when you do dine there it will show correctly in the system. Just make sure Guest Services understands you don't want to cancel your reservation but want the refund of the pre payment since you have the package.