Cruising this weekend, one of our party has tested positive

Joe01

This morning, I found out that one of our party has tested positive for COVID, there is 4 of us. We're meant to be cruising on Wonder on Sunday and flying out to Barcelona on Friday.

Needless to say that my excitement is pretty much gone overnight and instead is just replaced with stress. I don't know at this point what the heck will happen. Obviously she can't go any more but the other two have tested negative (think it was LFT) and I think they still want to go. However, we've all been in close contact in the last 24 hours at a dinner and all 3 of them live together so I'm personally not convinced that we've seen the last of positive tests, especially since we have to do a pre cruise test 48 hours before boarding when we get to Barcelona. I'm getting a test myself later on tonight and if I'm being totally honest, I would rather test positive now rather than potentially get stuck in Barcelona and end up missing the cruise anyway.

So, any advice on what to do? Potential refund for the person missing out? Is it a good idea to even go knowing that we've been in close contact? I'm really feeling stressed now and that's before all of the usual pre-vacation stuff. I don't even feel that well but I think it's just the stress getting to me.

8 minutes ago, Joe01 said:

So, any advice on what to do? Potential refund for the person missing out? Is it a good idea to even go knowing that we've been in close contact? I'm really feeling stressed now and that's before all of the usual pre-vacation stuff.

The refund is on a per room basis, so the entire room has to cancel with proof of the positive test.

The boarding health questionnaire also asks about exposure to a known positive case and they could deny boarding based on your response to that. 

If you have been in close contact, I would recommend postponing and taking the refund as you don't want to potentially spend your cruise in quarantine if you begin to develop symptoms while sailing. 

With Royal's policy you can make this be a last minute decision whether the rest of you want to continue with the trip.

I'm so sorry this has happened to you. I could read how excited you were in your Live Blog post.  

31 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

The refund is on a per room basis, so the entire room has to cancel with proof of the positive test.

Thanks for that, that's definitely important to consider as otherwise there would be no refund and the money has gone down the drain.

31 minutes ago, Pooch said:

Positive test within 14 days AND close contact are gonna get flagged on the Health questionnaire you all have to fill out. Don’t see any way any of you are going to be allowed to board.

Yeah, that's sadly what I figured. I knew that we were highly unlikely to have an easy way onto the ship when I heard about it. I did think we'd be found out if we went and then it would get worse.

Thanks all for the comments. And I totally agree that it is better finding out now than abroad.

I've done my LFT and it's negative. Going to do another one tomorrow to be sure. The others are also all negative. They are still insistent on going. But I feel that they aren't looking at the big picture and we'll come a cropper at some point.

I know what you are going through.  We had a June 12th Alaska cruise canceled because my son tested positive with no symptoms.  My travel agent warned us that we had to do the questionnaire that asks if we have been in direct contact.  Royal did not ask us for proof to get the 100% cancel.  I spent 3 days trying to get them to do a lift and shift because I had such a great deal, but they would not do it.  They gave me a 100% no questions refund and I had to rebook in July at a higher price.  It was disappointing but my son gets his Alaska cruise in 15 more days.

20 hours ago, Pooch said:

Positive test within 14 days AND close contact are gonna get flagged on the Health questionnaire you all have to fill out. Don’t see any way any of you are going to be allowed to board.  Full refund though.

Slightly different in UK as the tests we do at home do not have to be registered so rules can be broken easliy.

In theory someone could test positive 10 days prior to sailing, they do not need to quarantine so can go about their normal daily life, do not need to register test so there's no way of proving someone tested positve 10 days prior, as long as they test negative at port they can board. Don't agree with this but it's easy to do! 

@Joe01 hope everything works out for you.