Pre Cruise Testing

BRY7

Is it mandatory for test to be done in the country or can results from overseas be used? Asking as I'll be travelling to US and will be doing a cover test before the flight, hence wondering if the same test can be used for cruise requirements

Mostly, it doesn't matter where the test is done. In fact, if you have an at-home test from US you can take the test overseas once you arrive.

I learned from the Rhapsody of the Seas live blog happening now that Greece is an exception: https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2022/06/28/rhapsody-of-the-seas-live-blog-day-1-embarkation-athens-greece

11 hours ago, Matt said:

Mostly, it doesn't matter where the test is done. In fact, if you have an at-home test from US you can take the test overseas once you arrive.

I learned from the Rhapsody of the Seas live blog happening now that Greece is an exception: https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2022/06/28/rhapsody-of-the-seas-live-blog-day-1-embarkation-athens-greece

Thanks for the reply Matt!

Nah I wont have an at-home test from US but would be taking a tele rapid test from Singapore prior to departure to US (within 2 days of my sailing on Navigator from LA), the Singapore lab would issue the report which should date within 2 days of my cruise. Would this likely cause any issue at boarding?

11 hours ago, BRY7 said:

would be taking a tele rapid test from Singapore prior to departure to US (within 2 days of my sailing on Navigator from LA), the Singapore lab would issue the report which should date within 2 days of my cruise. Would this likely cause any issue at boarding?

I don't know of a reason why that would be a problem. I'm not familiar with the lab you're going to use, but as long as the test result matches Royal Caribbean's needs, it should be fine.

12 hours ago, BRY7 said:

Thanks for the reply Matt!

Nah I wont have an at-home test from US but would be taking a tele rapid test from Singapore prior to departure to US (within 2 days of my sailing on Navigator from LA), the Singapore lab would issue the report which should date within 2 days of my cruise. Would this likely cause any issue at boarding?

Make sure that particular cruise does not require testing no more than 1 day before.

On 6/29/2022 at 10:12 AM, Matt said:

I'm not sure why this live blog said they were required to test 1 day in advance. For my Princess cruise out of Athens that starts in just 2 weeks (woo-hoo!) I have two options:

• A PCR test taken 3 days before embarkation
  • A rapid antigen test taken 2 days before embarkation (must be administered by a doctor; self-administered tests with a proctor, like BinaxNOW, are not accepted)

Either kind of test can be taken outside the country, and you don't have to have a physical printout; the documentation I was given specifically for Athens embarkations notes that we can show an electronic copy of the test result that was emailed to us or downloaded as a PDF, as long as it includes an address indicating a doctor's office or pharmacy, the date the sample was taken, and a negative result written using just about any wording that doesn't include "invalid" in it.

Does the Greek government have different arrangements with different cruise lines? Seems unlikely to me, but I've heard of stranger things.

The way I read it, if your cruise departs from a U.S. Port, "my sailing on Navigator from LA", you'll need as stated above, a FDA Approved (for self test kits) test with CLIA # or Certification #.  I don't believe it matters where you start your trip, to get on and cruise on a Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines ship that embarks and cruises from an U.S. Port, you must follow all of:

Where should I go to get a pre-cruise COVID-19 test? What types of tests are accepted? Where do I submit the results?

Accepted Tests for Guests Sailing from North America (U.S., Puerto Rico, Canada)

Below are details about which tests are accepted to board the ship. The type of test you need for your cruise, as well as the testing window, can vary depending on your vaccination status. If you are unclear on test requirements your for your cruise, visit our main COVID-19 testing FAQ to learn more.

Accepted Types of Tests and Results

• There are two common types of diagnostic COVID-19 tests 
    • A molecular test, also called a PCR test or NAAT test – our testing requirements call this a “PCR test”
    • An antigen test, also called a rapid antigen test – our testing requirements call this an “antigen test"
  • The test must be supervised by a health professional, such as a doctor, pharmacy technician, public health worker, or telehealth professional. Telehealth testing at home is only accepted for vaccinated guests, and only when it is conducted under live video supervision. Learn more about acceptable telehealth tests including our home test kit.
  • You must receive a valid results document from your test provider that includes the name of the lab that processed the test, the lab’s CLIA Lab Number or Certification Number, the address of the lab, your name, the date the test was taken, type of test, and your negative result. This can be a printed document, email, or telehealth app notification. Fully handwritten doctor’s notes (such as those written on a prescription pad) will not be accepted. Minimal handwritten components (such as a check mark on a “negative” box) are acceptable as long as the other required information is printed on the document. 

Tests We Do Not Accept

• Antibody tests are not accepted, as they do not detect a current infection.
  • Home test kits that are self-administered at home, and not supervised live by a telehealth professional, are also not accepted.
  • Supervised telehealth tests are not accepted for unvaccinated guests – only for vaccinated guests.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

AND:

Telehealth Testing for Cruises Departing from U.S. Ports, Puerto Rico, Canada and the UK

For fully vaccinated guests as young as 5, we accept self-administered COVID-19 tests taken under live video supervision.

Telehealth self-tests taken at home must meet these requirements:

• Per U.S. CDC guidance, only vaccinated guests may present self-administered telehealth COVID-19 test results at the terminal to satisfy the pre-cruise testing requirement.
  • The test must have Emergency Use Authorization from the U.S. FDA.
  • The self-test process must happen under live supervision on a video call with a telehealth representative.
  • The telehealth provider must issue you a result document that includes all the necessary information.
  • International guests sailing from the U.S. are able to complete their testing using telehealth test kits, providing the kit has been authorized for use by the U.S. FDA. Telehealth test kits obtained internationally that do not meet this requirement will not be accepted. International guests can arrange to have F.D.A.-approved test kits shipped to the U.S. address where they’ll be staying before their cruise and complete their test prior to departing for the cruise terminal using a U.S. PayPal address to complete the purchase.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

If sailing FROM Singapore:

Accepted Tests for Guests Sailing from Singapore

All Guests: Required Pre-Cruise Testing

All guests, regardless of age or vaccination status, must undergo a professionally supervised rapid antigen  or PCR test no earlier than one day before boarding day and receive a negative result in order to board the ship. The test result proof must be in English in order to be accepted at check in.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

So, if you plan on getting tested in Singapore at a local lab, I'd make sure they have CLIA Lab # and/or a Certification #.  If you telehealth while in Singapore, make sure the test and lab meets the requirements above.

Edited by Moby Dick
BTW, the FDA approval is only mentioned in "telehealth" testing.

Thank you for all of the responses, I'll probably need to check if the test kits I purchased from Singapore are also FDA approved. If it isn't, are self test kits convenient available around LA? what are the prices like? Came across https://rapidtestandtrace.com/product/observed-test-for-travel/ that I would likely use if my test kits from Singapore aren't FDA approved.

I'd be willing to bet that there is a rapid test site in the airport, at a premium price.  If you are staying in a hotel the night before you cruise, purchase an Abbott proctored test kit and have it mailed to the hotel and test in the privacy of you own room, in your PJs.  Of course, make arrangements with the hotel first.  

https://www.flylax.com/travelsafely

OR

https://store.optum.com/royal-caribbean-tests/

On 7/2/2022 at 11:34 PM, Moby Dick said:

I'd be willing to bet that there is a rapid test site in the airport, at a premium price.  If you are staying in a hotel the night before you cruise, purchase an Abbott proctored test kit and have it mailed to the hotel and test in the privacy of you own room, in your PJs.  Of course, make arrangements with the hotel first.  

https://www.flylax.com/travelsafely

OR

https://store.optum.com/royal-caribbean-tests/

Thanks for the links!

• 4 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Carotthat said:

Where did you look at?

I still see the necessary CLIA thing on the FAQs.

Got it link below, if you compare it to Moby Dick's post on July 2, it seems to have changed

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/sgp/en/faq/questions/is-there-a-telemedicine-option-for-pre-cruise-covid-19-test

Can I take a telehealth test at home to satisfy my pre-cruise COVID-19 test requirement? Can I bring a test kit with me on my cruise to satisfy any additional entry or re-entry testing requirements?

Telehealth Testing for Cruises Departing from U.S. Ports, Puerto Rico and Canada

For fully vaccinated guests as young as 5, we accept self-administered COVID-19 tests taken under live video supervision.

Telehealth self-tests taken at home must meet these requirements:

• Per U.S. CDC guidance, only vaccinated guests may present self-administered telehealth COVID-19 test results at the terminal to satisfy the pre-cruise testing requirement.
  • The self-test process must happen under live supervision on a video call with a telehealth representative.
  • The telehealth provider must issue you a result document that includes all the necessary information

Hey there, 

Took a rapid antigen test at a local urgent care this morning. I just want to make sure this is acceptable as I have a PCR test also scheduled. I read that antigen tests are acceptable, but I've been so stressed making sure we're all good and nervous the PCR test won't come back on time. So has anyone's results looked like this? The clinic told me to use this page for travel, but the other pages have more information. 

image.jpeg

1 hour ago, ATLHM said:

Hey there, 

Took a rapid antigen test at a local urgent care this morning. I just want to make sure this is acceptable as I have a PCR test also scheduled. I read that antigen tests are acceptable, but I've been so stressed making sure we're all good and nervous the PCR test won't come back on time. So has anyone's results looked like this? The clinic told me to use this page for travel, but the other pages have more information. 

image.jpeg

This should be fine, it has date, name and test results, which is all the port workers are looking for.