Kennedy Space Center shuttle sold out?

Do you find it odd on our August Oasis cruise that the excursion to Kennedy Space center is sold out? I mean its just a shuttle to the space center, Its not a guided tour. Our son is very much into NASA/Space and everything that goes with it. I mean in the the end its not the end of the world. I just find it odd its sold out and has been for a very long time. Is that normal to you? 

10 minutes ago, RCIfan1912 said:

Do you find it odd on our August Oasis cruise that the excursion to Kennedy Space center is sold out? I mean its just a shuttle to the space center, Its not a guided tour. Our son is very much into NASA/Space and everything that goes with it. I mean in the the end its not the end of the world. I just find it odd its sold out and has been for a very long time. Is that normal to you? 

It could be that it is a very popular excursion and sells out early.  Can't tell if you think something nefarious is going on.  But, keep in mind, they are in the business of making money, not the opposite.   Hope you find an alternative!

15 minutes ago, RCIfan1912 said:

No, nothing funny going on. Most find it odd as it's just a ride there basically. Maybe a Covid thing, staffing issue?

Or NASA is limiting how many people can come on to their facilities and the Excursion Company/transportation company only has XX amount of authorizations.  Or many other possibilities.  I'd just see if there are other companies/ways to take the tour.  

41 minutes ago, Moby Dick said:

Or NASA is limiting how many people can come on to their facilities and the Excursion Company/transportation company only has XX amount of authorizations.  Or many other possibilities.  I'd just see if there are other companies/ways to take the tour.  

23 minutes ago, Ksucat said:

Do they store your luggage as a part of the excursion? 

That could be yes, both things could be the issue. It's not a huge deal, we have another excursion booked and I personally like it better. 🤣 

I'm not sure if they store your luggage? We wouldn't have luggage other than a stroller. 

30 minutes ago, Ksucat said:

Do they store your luggage as a part of the excursion? 

13 minutes ago, RCIfan1912 said:

I'm not sure if they store your luggage? We wouldn't have luggage other than a stroller. 

I think there may be a crossed wire here?  I'm guessing that @Ksucat is assuming this is an Oasis cruise that uses Port Canaveral as their embarkation/debarkation port.  I've seen the KSC tour/Airport transfer excursion offered on ships that end at Port Canaveral.  In August, Oasis is still sailing out of Bayonne, so Port Canaveral is just a regular port stop.  From what I'm hearing, you may have dodged a bullet here anyway, @RCIfan1912.  Oasis arrives at the pier so late in the day that people's trips to KSC have reportedly been very rushed.

21 minutes ago, USCG Teacher said:

I think there may be a crossed wire here?  I'm guessing that @Ksucat is assuming this is an Oasis cruise that uses Port Canaveral as their embarkation/debarkation port.  I've seen the KSC tour/Airport transfer excursion offered on ships that end at Port Canaveral.  In August, Oasis is still sailing out of Bayonne, so Port Canaveral is just a regular port stop.  From what I'm hearing, you may have dodged a bullet here anyway, @RCIfan1912.  Oasis arrives at the pier so late in the day that people's trips to KSC have reportedly been very rushed.

Correct. Sorry

23 minutes ago, USCG Teacher said:

Yeah, we're scheduled on the Jul 29 sailing to get in to Port Canaveral at 1:00 PM and this tour, which I've booked, is scheduled to start at 1:30PM. It's about 30 minutes each way to the KSC and KSC is scheduled to close at 6PM. Since the duration of the tour is 6 hours, I'm assuming that means we depart on the bus after KSC has closed. Thus, realistically, we might have 4 hours for the visit [at best]. 4 hours is enough time to see part of the site in-depth, though that also means no more than a quick walkthrough on others. I've whipped up a plan, mainly focusing on the Apollo/Saturn V Center, but don't have any illusions about doing KSC justice.

9 minutes ago, AlmondFarmer said:

Sorry to break the news but the Kennedy Space Center shuttle program ended in 2011, having started in 1972.

This is probably why you can’t get a spot. 
While the program was operating, it was very difficult to get a spot on a shuttle. 

It is ironic they do call it that. 🤣

It's also ironic that lately I've been kinda obsessed with the Challenger disaster. I was in 3rd or 4th grade. Just been watching some programs on the event. Turns out it really wasn't such a surprise to people in the inner circle. 

1 hour ago, Moby Dick said:

Or many other possibilities.

And sure enough, one of the other possibilities pops up.  LOL

14 minutes ago, AlmondFarmer said:

Sorry to break the news but the Kennedy Space Center shuttle program ended in 2011, having started in 1972.

I’m on Oasis this week. I think there were 8 buses of 48 people who went on this excursion.

keep checking to see if it opens and worst case check at the shore excursuses on boarding day. (There are cancellations when people test positive for their pre cruise testing)

my hints for this excursion:  

be sure to have your photo ID for 18 and up. Also bring cash/card, bottle of water.  there is some walking in the sun/weather so do what you need in regards. 

Onboard don’t rush to the theater to wait.  We were seated in the second row (being pretty early) to wait.  Then the late comers were seated in the back of the auditorium, sure enough they took the back rows out first so we were one of the last buses to leave the port. (Last to arrive at KSC)

try to sit at the front of the bus so you can be one of the first off  
there is a pamphlet on the seat, download the app to check things out/read the pamphlet.  
when you arrive to KSC go immediately to the bus tour that drives out to the furthest point and check that out, then tackle the locations at the initial drop off point ;main area) so you are close enough to catch the cruise bus back to the ship.  
there was an astronaut doing photos, autographs of items (up to 3 per party) at the souvenir shop (I forget which one) it either started at 5 or ended by 5-sorry didn’t pay close attention.  

.  Have a plan of attack so you maximize your time .  There was so much to see I would go back

4 hours ago, Rackham said:

Yeah, we're scheduled on the Jul 29 sailing to get in to Port Canaveral at 1:00 PM and this tour, which I've booked, is scheduled to start at 1:30PM.

We'll be on board with you.  If you see someone in an old Coast Guard ball cap ineffectively chasing down two energetic boys, feel free to say hi and I'll buy you a drink. 😉