Port Changes - Questions

We are booked on Adventure of the Seas for Bermuda in August. It's our very first time cruising (young family of 5). I'm curious to hear from folks whose Bermuda cruise was re-routed to Canada instead. Did you know ahead of time? I'm assuming the contents of your suitcase had to be swapped out!? Also, if this happens to us, I'm worried about it being too chilly for my kids to use any of the water features on the ship. How does such a 180 in sailing affect how you enjoy all the ship has to offer? Finally, what are the reasons the itinerary changed - hurricanes? Rainy weather at the port? Issues with travel documents/international port? 

I really want my family and I to enjoy our first cruise experience, but I'm nervous our itinerary will get changed, and it will be a disaster!

This apparently is not the first time, such a 180-degree change of ports.  Such a change is however, very unlikely.  I understand  reasons why ports get changed, but expecting the sunny Caribbean but getting Canada is an unacceptable change.  In August, the weather will likely be very nice for a maritime Canada cruise, but it's still not an acceptable substitute, unless such a Canada cruise is also on your bucket list.  And yes, your wardrobe requirements will change.  Think Seattle.  We cruised maritime Canada in late summer, and never was it bikini weather.  In addition, you may or may not have to jump thru the Canada/Covid hoops, which would right now prevent me from cruising anywhere where a Canada stop would be in the itinerary. 

I'm speaking only for myself.  If the change is acceptable to you, then go for it and have a great time.😎

16 hours ago, WAYNO said:

This apparently is not the first time, such a 180-degree change of ports.  Such a change is however, very unlikely.  I understand  reasons why ports get changed, but expecting the sunny Caribbean but getting Canada is an unacceptable change.  In August, the weather will likely be very nice for a maritime Canada cruise, but it's still not an acceptable substitute, unless such a Canada cruise is also on your bucket list.  And yes, your wardrobe requirements will change.  Think Seattle.  We cruised maritime Canada in late summer, and never was it bikini weather.  In addition, you may or may not have to jump thru the Canada/Covid hoops, which would right now prevent me from cruising anywhere where a Canada stop would be in the itinerary. 

I'm speaking only for myself.  If the change is acceptable to you, then go for it and have a great time.😎

My understanding is that it's non-refundable; that is, we either go to Canada, or lose our money. Am I misunderstanding this? I would hope we could just defer, and apply our payment to a future cruise!

2 hours ago, travelislife said:

My understanding is that it's non-refundable; that is, we either go to Canada, or lose our money. Am I misunderstanding this? I would hope we could just defer, and apply our payment to a future cruise!

While I'm not sure if you can just change your booking, I know that Royal DOES NOT guarantee any itinerary, how could they!  It's also in the contract

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/dam/royal/resources/pdf/cruise-ticket-contract.pdf

7. CANCELLATION, DEVIATION OR SUBSTITUTION BY CARRIER: a. Carrier may for any reason at any time and without prior notice, cancel, advance, postpone or deviate from any scheduled sailing, port of call, destination, lodging or any activity on or off the Vessel, or substitute another vessel or port of call, destination, lodging or activity. Except as provided in Section 7.e below, and except as provided in Section 4.e or Section 4.f regarding an actual or suspected COVID-19 infection, and except where a refund is required by law as a result of a declaration of a public health emergency or government order cancelling the Cruise or delaying boarding of the Vessel by Passengers by three (3) days or more, Carrier shall not be liable for any claim whatsoever by Passenger, including but not limited to loss, compensation or refund, by reason of such cancellation, advancement, postponement, substitution or deviation.

3 hours ago, travelislife said:

When I have seen this happen and they have enough time to give notice, even 1-2 days, they will often offer passengers the option to refund or get FCC. Typically if you choose to sail there's also some additional goodwill incentive for doing so such as OBC for the cruise and FCC towards a later cruise. 

If you're already en route to the cruise when the change is made, you might as well sail since any refund option isn't likely going to include reimbursement for flight costs/changes.