COVID after cruising? Chime in!

zwosh

Hi! We got off of an 8-night on Enchantment on Friday morning. My husband tested positive yesterday (Sunday) and my daughter today (both symptomatic). My other daughter and I are just waiting. 🫣

I’m curious how many others have tested positive right after sailing. We have avoided it until now and have been very careful. You let your guard down to have a good vacation and boom. 😕

I know of at least 40 plus people who got Covid after our cruise.  We did not. 

Thank goodness its summer because while we can work from home, if the kids got covid, its another 10 days of quarantine and staying home from school.  I say "another" because although we are extra careful, we have had covid twice.

We've been on six sailings so far after the come back and we never let our guard down. We are not walking around in fear at all but we make conscious decisions based on the reality of the moment. Maybe we have just been lucky; who knows but so far so good. Sailing again 31 July. 

We are basically practicing healthy habits we did before the pause but like I stated in other threads with capacity ramped to the breaking point and staff seemingly exhausted we feel a break from sailing is in order for us. 

We wore masks on our recent ABC cruise (Mariner) all the time except 4-5 hours per day we were eating, drinking, or dancing.  My wife got congested night 7 (thought it was alergies),and she tested positive on day 9 when we arrived home.  She is getting a little worse -- has sleeping problems because of coughing.  I am fine but will test tomorrow because of my exposure.  We were very careful, but who knows who sat next to us in Johnny Rocket or Boleros?  I really wish everyone would mask up in elevators.  I don't think that is too much to ask for preventive health.   I recommend everyone take masks on their next cruise.  The cheap ones provided in your room may not mitigate the risk. 

We have done 5 cruises including January (when cruises were being cancelled due to omicron) where we needed negative PCR test to return to Canada and have never had a positive test. I'm curious for all those testing positive if you have symptoms or why are you testing? Just because you heard others are testing positive? I've never understood the testing of non symptomatic individuals.

I try to drink as much alcohol as possible while on a cruise ship.  I haven't had COVID post cruising.  There is a moral to that story, somewhere!

Seriously though, I get sick after just about every vacation, including COVID once, whether on a cruise ship or a trip to Las Vegas or......  I'm not really a big drinker other than on a cruise.  I just don't worry about it.  I try to be a social butterfly, I don't avoid elevators that have more than X people in it, I don't wear masks if I don't have to and I avoid activities/places that require a mask.  I just don't care because it is almost a sure thing that I'm going to come down with something when I get home.  I'm sure I have what they call "Long COVID", I seem to permanently have a runny nose/sniffles.  I've been like that since I had COVID back in circa 2020.  

My wife and her brother just got off Harmony, June 12th. They shared their flight and shared a cabin.  He got quite ill and tested positive the next day after the cruise was over.     My wife, tested because of the proximity to her brother over 10 days...nothing. 

17 minutes ago, Vancity Cruiser said:

We have done 5 cruises including January (when cruises were being cancelled due to omicron) where we needed negative PCR test to return to Canada and have never had a positive test. I'm curious for all those testing positive if you have symptoms or why are you testing? Just because you heard others are testing positive? I've never understood the testing of non symptomatic individuals.

So you don't spread the disease -- you then have the knowledge to quarantine.  My wife got the bug from someone......

28 minutes ago, TXcruzer said:

47,000 people tested positive in the US this past Saturday, June 25.  

Just saying, being on a ship or on land makes no difference.

I choose to just live my life

I don't think anyone isn't living their life, heck we're all going on cruises. I think the comment was to just be smart and respectful of others in crowded spaces.

On my recent Oasis sailing over Memorial Day, it seemed like about 25% of the group's Facebook page (over 700 ppl) reported getting sick/testing positive within a week of getting home.

I tested twice post cruise (Tuesday after, and Friday After) and both were negative. I did not have symptoms, but I tested myself because I knew It was running around the ship but wanted to (try and) make sure I wasn't giving COVID to my family, who are high risk but vaxxed and boosted.  

45 minutes ago, TXcruzer said:

47,000 people tested positive in the US this past Saturday, June 25.  

Just saying, being on a ship or on land makes no difference.

I choose to just live my life

We have been living our lives this whole time and hadn’t gotten COVID. Then we went on a cruise and got it. I do think being on a ship or on land makes a difference. We play, we pay, I guess. 😞

6 hours ago, zwosh said:

We have been living our lives this whole time and hadn’t gotten COVID. Then we went on a cruise and got it. I do think being on a ship or on land makes a difference. We play, we pay, I guess. 😞

Agreed. I went 2+ years without getting it. Either way, our short cruise had a lot people cramming into buffet, elevators, etc.

My son tested after our Quantum Alasksa.  Our first genie was unfit for duty, and her replacement got it midway through the cruise.  My daughter had just had it and my husband and I had it a couple months before. We knew the risks going in so not surprised.

When some folks, like me, say that they just continue to live their life, I don't think they are saying that others that do things differently aren't.  For me, I'm just trying to live life like I've been accustomed to, pre-pandemic.  I believe, and I know it's true for me, that I can live my life without being in fear.  I'm not risk adverse.  On the other hand, I don't believe those that do fear certain things are bad people, chickens, whatever, not one bit.  I just chose to live a little differently.  I understand that there are those that have immunodeficiency issues and are old (like me).  I also believe that if other people, who feel differently than me, should protect themselves and not blame me for not believing in the same protective measures as they do.  I just want to live and let live, I just want to cruise, cruise, cruise, and cruise some more.  Did I mention that I want to cruise?  Yes, I just want to cruise.  No matter how you feel about this issue, I'd enjoy sitting down with you in the Playmakers and have a Kraken with ya.  YMMV

18 minutes ago, MLH said:

My son tested after our Quantum Alasksa.  Our first genie was unfit for duty, and her replacement got it midway through the cruise.  My daughter had just had it and my husband and I had it a couple months before. We knew the risks going in so not surprised.

On our May 13th cruise on the Ovation, our first Genie, Rahul, "supposedly" injured himself on day 2, then we had Dexter, supposedly" he injured himself on day 4, then we had (I can't remember her name, I think it was something like, Agustina).  She took care of all the Star Class guests (that's 8 Star Class staterooms) by herself and it was her first cruise as a Genie. She did a great job.  It's funny, Rahul and Dexter weren't allowed to leave their quarters/cabin, you know, kinda like quarantine.  I guess stranger things have happen than 2 Genies injuring themselves within 2 days of each other.  But, COVID comes to my mind.  

I had a huge family cruise on the Oasis OTS. We got back and my mother tested positive after she started feeling a little under the weather. I personally have been on two cruises during Covid and have personally lucked out not catching anything. With that said, I was at Disney World in April and My kids and I all caught covid. Luckily everyone is vaccinated so the symptoms were pretty mild. 

Unfortunately anywhere you go that has a high density of people one will be at risk. This could be cruise ships to amusement parks and everything in between. My advice is to understand the risks, mitigate the risks as much as one can, and hope for the best. I personally think that COVID will be with us and it will be a part of cruising as like any sickness like norovirus. 

9 minutes ago, leesam82 said:

I had a huge family cruise on the Oasis OTS. We got back and my mother tested positive after she started feeling a little under the weather. I personally have been on two cruises during Covid and have personally lucked out not catching anything. With that said, I was at Disney World in April and My kids and I all caught covid. Luckily everyone is vaccinated so the symptoms were pretty mild. 

Unfortunately anywhere you go that has a high density of people one will be at risk. This could be cruise ships to amusement parks and everything in between. My advice is to understand the risks, mitigate the risks as much as one can, and hope for the best. I personally think that COVID will be with us and it will be a part of cruising as like any sickness like norovirus. 

Exactly, it's the new Flu.  We need to treat it as such and go cruising!

We cruised Celebrity in May with friends, she got sick on the plane on the way home, she tested positive the next day.  Her husband 2 days later.  My hubby got sick a couple of days after the cruise but did not test positive 4 days in a row and I never got sick or tested positive.  So 3 of our party of 4 got sick, 2 covid and 1 the flu and I am usually the one to get sick.

Since we are keeping track of Covid after cruising...........

Who has gotten Covid after the grocery store? The movies? The ball game? Theme park? The mall? The family reunion?

We criticize the CDC and mainstream media for unfair scrutiny of the cruise ship industry and then we give them nice threads like this on a public message board to fuel the fire.

18 minutes ago, Vancity Cruiser said:

Who has gotten Covid after the grocery store? The movies? The ball game? Theme park? The mall? The family reunion?

We criticize the CDC and mainstream media for unfair scrutiny of the cruise ship industry and then we give them nice threads like this on a public message board to fuel the fire.

Yes, we are just adding fuel to the fire, aren't we?  

20 minutes ago, Vancity Cruiser said:

Preach

21 minutes ago, Vancity Cruiser said:

I sort of get where you are coming from but how I see it is it prepares me for how I will conduct myself on the cruise. I may choose to wear masks in elevators or crowded places as I do now. I see this thread as a warning for people who choose to take it. 

I totally get your point about getting in anywhere else and not debating that at all, in fact I've done my best not to debate ANYTHING covid related on here. - I just think I'm coming at it a little differently.

14 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Someday soon the stigma of covid on a cruise ship will disappear. But of course not until the CDC relinquishes its grip

YES!!!!!

I don't think we need to treat a cruise ship any differently than we do any other crowded venue.  Today's cruise ships are little cities on water.  But, much more enjoyable, if you let it be.  

Our cruise on the Harmony is in 19 days.  We plan on taking plenty of small hand sanitizers and use them whenever we touch a elevator button or a door handle and etc (we do this here also).  We will not be eating in the Windjammer due to everyone serving themselves without gloves.  There are 8 in our party so we will fill an elevator pretty well.  We are on the 14th floor so we will use the elevators more often.

We cruise again in 52 days our of Amsterdam so I want to be extra diligent if light of this.  We are Vax and Boosted but I know we can still possibly get it; however, we plan on getting lots of fresh air and sunshine and enjoying everything Harmony has to offer.

57 minutes ago, Vancity Cruiser said:

Right?!?! My wife got covid from a co-worker. People get Covid in all different types of places, not just cruises!!

I have cruised 5 times since the restart, including about 15 nights on 3 different ships consecutively during the height of omicron. Haven't tested positive and I attribute that to me personally. Even before covid I was an active handwasher and social distance practicing person, I also took the stairs mostly. I haven't had to change most of my routine with the exception of following mask guidelines when required. You can get sick anywhere, from anything, at any time if you aren't careful. The amount of people I see who would come to the buffet and try to ignore the handwashing station or who don't use sanitizer is astounding. Covid is everywhere, there is no way to be 100% on when you got and who exposed you to it. 

1 hour ago, Vancity Cruiser said:

PLUS 1 on this comment right here. 

We got off Anthem on Friday. My wife tested negative on Friday, but positive on Saturday after feeling like she had a cold. I'm still testing negative with no symptoms.

It's almost certainly attributed to the cruise, but we knew the risks before booking and wouldn't change a thing.

This is the first time either of us has caught Covid, and that includes living in a house when my son caught Covid a few months ago. I think you have to try & get on with living your life as normal as possible (but I haven't always have that opinion). I think the effectiveness of the vaccine has allowed us that luxury.

1 hour ago, whitsmom said:

Our cruise on the Harmony is in 19 days.  We plan on taking plenty of small hand sanitizers and use them whenever we touch a elevator button or a door handle and etc (we do this here also).  We will not be eating in the Windjammer due to everyone serving themselves without gloves.  There are 8 in our party so we will fill an elevator pretty well.  We are on the 14th floor so we will use the elevators more often.

We cruise again in 52 days our of Amsterdam so I want to be extra diligent if light of this.  We are Vax and Boosted but I know we can still possibly get it; however, we plan on getting lots of fresh air and sunshine and enjoying everything Harmony has to offer.

Those are wonderful and personal policies you have put in place; but have absolutely nothing to do with Covid mitigation.  
Sanitation however is always a good thing. 

I just spent 9 days on a vacay in Cali including 4 days on navigator and 3 days at Disneyland jammed into lines and rides. Ate out multiple times. never wore a mask once. Paid it no mind like the old days. Was certain we’d get something at some point. Didn’t care. Never got the ‘Rona. Lucky sure,  but also vaxxed and living La vida loca. Man I love cruising!! 

9 minutes ago, GatorCruiser said:

I just spent 9 days on a vacay in Cali including 4 days on navigator and 3 days at Disneyland jammed into lines and rides. Ate out multiple times. never wore a mask once. Paid it no mind like the old days. Was certain we’d get something at some point. Didn’t care. Never got the ‘Rona. Lucky sure,  but also vaxxed and living La vida loca. Man I love cruising!! 

Much like colds and the flu, some people are much more prone to getting airborne viruses than others.

54 minutes ago, TXcruzer said:

Those are wonderful and personal policies you have put in place; but have absolutely nothing to do with Covid mitigation.  
Sanitation however is always a good thing. 

Oh I agree with you 100% but it makes me feel like I am at least trying to lessen my chances.  I don't want to miss our Bucket List British Isles trip....