Norwegian ship hits small iceberg

I can't imagine that a cruise ship hitting an iceberg is something that is news worthy as I'm sure it happens all the time.  The important question is how large was the iceberg?  And, as stated, these ships in the inside passage don't exactly break any speed records.  I'm guessing it must have been a larger one, enough to have to assess if there was any/significant damage to the ship.  On our May cruise in Alaska, even though there wasn't many icebergs in the channel, I saw a few small ones rubbing up against the side of the ship.  In fact, I was very surprised at the lack of icebergs.  I hope that the damage, if any, is so minimum that it doesn't effect the ships schedule.  

3 hours ago, Suite Snob said:

The important question is how large was the iceberg?  

Its not the size they worry about its the colour!

Small blue icebergs can be more dangerous than large white ones as the blue colour represents that its strong enough not to break up if hit and that it can pierce metal easily. 

This is why they zig zag through channels avoiding blue icebergs of any size.

13 minutes ago, Ray said:

Small blue icebergs can be more dangerous than large white ones as the blue colour represents that its strong enough not to break up if hit and that it can pierce metal easily. 

What about blue ones with eagles on top?

20220610_091602.jpg

38 minutes ago, Ray said:

That's only the tip of the iceberg!  Hahahaha, get it?  😀🧊

But, I guess I could have gotten into the color, white meaning lots of air in the ice, blue meaning solid.  

But passenger Jason Newman of Atlanta, Georgia, says the fog had cleared when he felt the impact.

“The ship had a severe judder,” he said “You could feel the strike. And then it listed minorly.”

There's video here that most certainly doesn't support the exaggerated comments above. Airline passengers are notorious for exaggerating any kind of airborne emergency. Sure seems to be the case here, too.

https://www.ktoo.org/2022/06/27/norwegian-sun-iceberg/

14 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

There's video here that most certainly doesn't support the exaggerated comments above. Airline passengers are notorious for exaggerating any kind of airborne emergency. Sure seems to be the case here, too.

Not to mention the reporters that look for the person with the scariest recollection.  They never quote the person that says "I dunno, I didn't really notice anything"

On 6/27/2022 at 6:22 PM, smokeybandit said:

Maybe it was soccer charter cruise?

fake-injury.gif

I'm just about to get off Serenade.    Happy I did not see this post until today 😉.   

Was at Hubbard June 30th and heard fellow passengers the next day commenting that the ship did not get as close to the glacier as they had on previous cruises.  Perhaps this had something to do with their observation.

Was lucky my better half insisted on booking the Hubbard excursion to get close to the glacier.   It was pricey but an absolutely fantastic day and one of my all time cruising highlights.  Weather was perfect which of course helped.   

According to Cruisehive Norwegian was forced to cancel another cruise on Norwegian Sun.  This time it was a 9 night Alaskan cruise it was to set sail on July 5th that was axed last minute as the vessel is still undergoing assessment with the US Coast Guard in Seattle.  It has been a tough spring and summer for some Norwegian passengers, who've seen their Caribbean, Alaska and even European Cruises all canceled.  

I can't imagine what the people on the July 14th cruise are feeling, they have to be on pins and needles hoping and praying the ship is ready to set sail for their cruise which for now is still schedule to depart.