Travel Insurance

With all the airline cancellations lately, I am wondering if anyone can recommend a travel insurance company that might reimburse me for the cruise if by chance my flight is delayed/cancelled and I can't board the boat. I'm unable to fly in a day early due to other obligations.

1 hour ago, Leah_24 said:

With all the airline cancellations lately, I am wondering if anyone can recommend a travel insurance company that might reimburse me for the cruise if by chance my flight is delayed/cancelled and I can't board the boat. I'm unable to fly in a day early due to other obligations.

Check insuremytrip.com they give you a list of quotes from different insurance providers. Since you're flying in day of, make sure that the coverage in the Trip Interruption section kicks in after a small number of hours. I believe 6 hours is as low as they go, but you may find better. Do your research and make sure it covers all your bases.

10 hours ago, Leah_24 said:

We have used Allianz.  On a side note, we had insurance on an airline ticket that American delayed, causing missed connections.  They refused compensation even though we had to spent a night in a hotel, and their delay was caused by switching planes (they gave our plane to another route).  The trip insurance we had for the flight covered $150 of the $209 in expenses we incurred for travel delay.  So my point is that you should look at the amount of coverage when you insure your air transportation that accompanies a cruise.

Although I've not had a claim, I've liked the cost for what you get of Trawick International sold through Squaremouth consolidators. You'll see Trawick come up if you search using the InsureMyTrip web site. We're in our 70s so insurance gets pricey but these days, it is must have as you've already concluded. Trawick offers good bang for our buck. 

How good your coverage is will depend on service after you make a claim. Trawick has very good reviews (but so do most of the top brands). I did have a post purchase issue on a policy a while back and Squaremouth, the sales company, was very responsive.

13 hours ago, Bob Johnson said:

Royal has https://www.royalcaribbean.com/flights/bookFlights they will not reimburse you but should get you to the next port.

Be aware there are limits to the next port assured arrival.  They are still bound by relevant laws which can render assured arrival less potent.  An Alaska cruise from Seattle for example.  You can't board at a different US port and return to Seattle as that violates federal law (the PVSA).  This is also a factor on cruises that depart Florida with a first stop in Key West.   This can be a factor in some Canada/NE cruises too.

The point is that Assured Arrival is a wonderful feature of booking with Air2Sea but there are caveats and limitations that Assured Arrival can't overcome.

4 hours ago, ChessE4 said:

We have used Allianz.  On a side note, we had insurance on an airline ticket that American delayed, causing missed connections.  They refused compensation even though we had to spent a night in a hotel, and their delay was caused by switching planes (they gave our plane to another route).  The trip insurance we had for the flight covered $150 of the $209 in expenses we incurred for travel delay.  So my point is that you should look at the amount of coverage when you insure your air transportation that accompanies a cruise.

But does that qualify of Trip Interruption if you were u nable to make a cruise because of it. Would travel insurance reimburse? I generally get RC insurance but really know so little. Having read a good amount on here I thought I'd inquire. Trawick does look promising price wise.

48 minutes ago, Kathleen said:

But does that qualify of Trip Interruption if you were u nable to make a cruise because of it. Would travel insurance reimburse? I generally get RC insurance but really know so little. Having read a good amount on here I thought I'd inquire. Trawick does look promising price wise.

This is a good question because coverages can overlap in some cases.  Trip Interruption kicks in the day you choose to start the benefit, so it's very important to pick the day you start driving or flying to the cruise port.  Everything before that falls under Trip Cancellation.

With Trip Interruption, you are covering all non-refundable pre-paid expenses that you've paid to the airlines, hotels, cruise line, etc.  up to the limit you set in the event you cannot make it to your destination due to the policy's list of Covered Reasons.  Depending on the plan, it can also cover additional cost that may be incurred due to extra costs associated with buying alternative transportation to catch-up to your cruise, or alternative travel home in the event you get sick and cannot make your original flight/transportation home.

Here's a quote from an IMG policy for example:

"TRIP INTERRUPTION
If You must start Your Trip late or are unable to complete Your Trip, We will reimburse You, up to the Maximum Benefit Amount shown in the Schedule of Benefits, for the unused, forfeited, prepaid non-refundable Payments or Deposits paid for the Travel Arrangements You purchased for Your Trip plus the Additional Transportation Cost paid to either:

(a) join Your Trip if You must depart after Your Scheduled Departure Date or travel via alternate travel arrangements; or
(b) rejoin Your Trip from the point where You interrupted Your Trip to the next Scheduled Destination; or
(c) transport You to Your originally scheduled Return Destination of Your Trip;"

The key thing to look at are the list of Covered Reasons a claim can be made for reimbursement.  I have not been able to find a travel insurance plan that will cover the entire cost of a cruise under the Trip Interruption section (assuming you miss port departure) when an airline causes a delay to your arrival that is due to overbookings, understaffing, or other related circumstances where the airline is at fault.  The only Covered Reasons that these policies include in their Trip Interruption section are weather related delays, mechanical issues, or strikes and these Covered Reasons can vary from plan to plan.

So, for example, if you get bumped or your flight gets delayed or canceled because they are short staffed, the Trip Interruption portion of the policy doesn't come into play.  Other sections of the policy like Trip Delay or Missed Connection can come into play for any type of transportation delay, but these coverage limits are often lower than your entire cruise fare.  Finding a policy that has a high Missed Connection coverage limit would be wise to cover all your bases if you're flying to your cruise port.

IMO, this is also why having at least a good travel agent is essential. Not only can they recommend a good policy to have, but if something were to happen, all you would have to do is send them the info (receipts, notices, etc.) and they take care of it for you. That being said, ALWAYS do your own research and if you're confused/don't understand, ASK.  

19 hours ago, Kathleen said:

My Allianz insurance (for a cruise) covers the cruise if there is a common carrier issue, whether cancellation or delay.  Trip interruption generally applies to medical issues whereas re-booking transportation is typically "travel delay".   However, my policy doesn't cover the fare of the common carrier. (If I want the airline covered, I call my agent and pay the increased premium.)  If you use Air2Sea, they will act as an agent to get you to your cruise, but you may be responsible for additional airfare charges (e.g., a revised itinerary).  Various members have mixed stories about Air2Sea - sometimes helpful, sometimes not.  On 2 of 3 cruises departing overseas, we arrived the same day as our cruise, on time despite various delays along the way.  I prefer arriving a day early, but that won't help much if the airline loses your suitcase.  

Thanks all. In looking at insurance plans and the Covered Reasons, like @AspiringCruisePlanner said, it seems they mostly only cover you if there is a carrier delay due to weather or mechanical issue. I did find one with $1,000 per person missed connection coverage. That would almost cover the cruise (but not the excursions or add ons like the beverage package I bought!). I will check out Allianz just in case.

I have already booked my flight and didn't use Air2Sea. I will keep that in mind, however I also read that Royal Caribbean doesn't let you join the cruise at a later port due to health protocols on the embarkation day. So, pray for me! 🤪🙏

13 hours ago, Leah_24 said:

Thanks all. In looking at insurance plans and the Covered Reasons, like @AspiringCruisePlanner said, it seems they mostly only cover you if there is a carrier delay due to weather or mechanical issue. I did find one with $1,000 per person missed connection coverage. That would almost cover the cruise (but not the excursions or add ons like the beverage package I bought!). I will check out Allianz just in case.

I have already booked my flight and didn't use Air2Sea. I will keep that in mind, however I also read that Royal Caribbean doesn't let you join the cruise at a later port due to health protocols on the embarkation day. So, pray for me! 🤪🙏

WorldTrips Atlas Journey Premier has a missed connection coverage of $2000 per person, or their Preferred plan has $1500 per person. I'd look into those to get you better coverage in the broader missed connection category. Ideally, the missed connection max benefit would be higher than the total cost of your flights, cruise, and onboard purchases.

Make sure that the Missed Connection it includes payments for non-refundable travel arrangements as well, and not just added cost to catch up to your travel arrangements. 

So we already purchased RC insurance but after reading here we maybe better to purchase different.  I take it the RC insurance would only start coverage on the day we board the ship and not before for travel delays is that correct?  This is all so new to me but I was wondering if we could get other insurance to cover for cancelled or delayed flight. We plan on flying in one day before we are to board the ship.  Any suggestions appreaciated

40 minutes ago, TravisMA81 said:

Has anyone had to use their credit card insurance?  I book everything with my Chase Sapphire but have never filed a claim.  I also have a Capital One with travel insurance.  

I just did a bunch of research when I got a new credit card earlier this year, so I can provide some insight.  I've never had to use the travel insurance benefits, but it's important to read the benefits before you decide that you're fully protected.  In your situation the Chase Sapphire trip cancellation/interruption covered reasons are much more broad than Capital One's.  Currently, Chase Sapphire cards have cancellation/interruption limits of $10k per person and $20k per trip and coverage applies to all immediate family:

"Spouse, and parents thereof; sons and daughters, including adopted children and stepchildren; parents, including stepparents; brothers and sisters; grandparents and grandchildren; aunts or uncles; nieces or nephews; and Domestic Partner and parents thereof, including Domestic Partners or Spouses of any individual of this definition. Immediate Family Member also includes legal guardians or wards. Immediate Family Members do not need to be traveling with the Cardholder for benefits to apply."

Covered reasons for Chase Sapphire are very broad and I won't list them here, but it does include coverage for weather and strikes but not mechanical breakdowns for Common Carriers. 

For Capital One Visa Infinite, trip cancellation/interruption benefits are currently only $2k per person and the only Covered Individuals are you, your spouse, and dependent children.  Additionally, the only Covered Reasons for the cancellation/interruption are limited to death, sickness, or injury of an immediate family member and default of a Common Carrier - no coverage due to weather, strikes, quarantine, etc.

Credit card travel insurance benefits are a great benefit for domestic travel, but cruises are a whole different ball game when you factor in missed connection coverage and emergency medical care and evacuation; which most credit cards do not include.  Apparently, CC companies have been pulling back these travel insurance benefits and they are able to do so whenever they choose (with advanced notice).  Also, the trip costs have to be purchased with that credit card to get the benefit, so the RC credit card fans wouldn't be eligible for the benefits.

19 minutes ago, BarbC said:

So we already purchased RC insurance but after reading here we maybe better to purchase different.  I take it the RC insurance would only start coverage on the day we board the ship and not before for travel delays is that correct?  This is all so new to me but I was wondering if we could get other insurance to cover for cancelled or delayed flight. We plan on flying in one day before we are to board the ship.  Any suggestions appreaciated

If you're within 10 days of purchasing the policy (not the cruise), you can cancel for a repayment of your premium and purchase elsewhere.  Otherwise, I'd book flights with Air2Sea so at least you're covered so that you can get to the cruise if there was a significant delay in flights.

19 hours ago, Leah_24 said:

For the underlined part, if you miss your cruise, your cruise planner items are cancelled and refunded (at least that's my understanding of it). It won't be instant, but usually within 7-10 days you'll see the credit on your CC. 

3 hours ago, JC Pats said:

For the underlined part, if you miss your cruise, your cruise planner items are cancelled and refunded (at least that's my understanding of it). It won't be instant, but usually within 7-10 days you'll see the credit on your CC. 

We missed our cruise and our excursions and drink packages were not automatically refunded.  We are still waiting on refunds 3 month past cruise date. I would recommend using air2sea for possible airline issues resulting in missed cruise.