A Royal Day in Skagway

RCCL President & CEO, Michael Bayle, Is visiting Skagway this coming Monday, June 27 2022. The trip was set up before the landslide which impacted the pier.

Speculation is he is negotiating with the railroad to extend trips into Canada again. Anyone know more?

This will be interesting to follow.  The issue isn't the railroad exactly, rather Canada and their requirements including but not limited to everyone using ArriveCAN.  The railroad cut service across the border because of Canada's requirements.  On the surface it seems negotiating with the railroad is the wrong entity.  He should be negotiating with Canada.

Having said that the railroad has always offered versions of the trip that approach the border then stop and reverse down the mountain.   That isn't a terrible excursion, it just means the versions that offload passengers and put them on motorcoaches or on bicycles to ride down the mountain can't be offered.  Most people opted for the non-passport version in the past meaning they never crossed into Canada.  The versions that went farther were more the exception, at least from the pier.

1 hour ago, Wedgero said:

Speculation is he is negotiating with the railroad to extend trips into Canada again. Anyone know more?

I highly doubt this. As @twangster points out, this is a Canadian rule and I don't think a cruise line CEO negotiates national border policy.

Took this excursion last week on Ovation, I guess we missed the land slide by a couple days! The train did cross into Canada as it does a loop over the border and back. Guess they don't really count it as it's not very far, but the whole loop portion is in Canada past the Obelisk and the NWMP shack.

Ovation of the Seas is supposed to be in Skagway today I believe. With the rock slide, can anyone confirm if they did make the port call? If so, did they tender or was their another dock available. 

We leave on her this coming friday, so just checking on the status. 

Thanks for any insight.