Customs in Port Canaveral

So, I have not cruised in a few years and this was new to me...we got off Harmony last weekend...we did not have to fill out any customs declaration forms, nor did we have to go through customs when we got off the ship. We literally got off, got our luggage and just walked to our car. How long ago was this change made?

11 minutes ago, Alztyrbn said:

So, I have not cruised in a few years and this was new to me...we got off Harmony last weekend...we did not have to fill out any customs declaration forms, nor did we have to go through customs when we got off the ship. We literally got off, got our luggage and just walked to our car. How long ago was this change made?

When we got off of the Ovation, May 20th, this year, we had to go through Customs/Immigration.  But, it was a joke.  

I think the Customs/Immigrations are a little strung out right now.  So, I think many cruise ports/passengers are on the honor system, LOL.  

59 minutes ago, USFFrank said:

Don't know about the other terminals there, but the Royal Caribbean terminal at Port Canaveral has facial recognition at their customs area which makes it a whole lot easier when you get off the ship.

Yep, couldn’t have gone smoother earlier this month.

FWIW, RC actually uses 2 different terminals at PC & both have facial recognition. Currently Harmony & Indy use Terminal 1 while Mariner uses Terminal 5.

Most, if not all, US Cruise terminals use facial recognition now, including Canaveral. The one exception to this is if you only use a DL/State ID and Birth Certificate, then you have to queue to be seen by an ICE rep. That line can move at a decent speed but you're still waiting. This is another value of having a passport, among the many many others previously discussed. 

25 minutes ago, JC Pats said:

Most, if not all, US Cruise terminals use facial recognition now, including Canaveral. The one exception to this is if you only use a DL/State ID and Birth Certificate, then you have to queue to be seen by an ICE rep. That line can move at a decent speed but you're still waiting. This is another value of having a passport, among the many many others previously discussed. 

Good point. My young nieces did not have passports on our recent family cruise but they also cleared customs extremely quickly at PC recently.

32 minutes ago, twangster said:

Port Canaveral terminal one has facial recognition.  Not all terminals in Port Canaveral have it.  I'm hoping CBP has or will soon expand it to the other terminals in PCN.  

Pretty sure someone reported that it was added to Terminal 5, currently used by Mariner. No clue about any other terminal as I only sail RC.

8 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

Pretty sure someone reported that it was added to Terminal 5, currently used by Mariner. No clue about any other terminal as I only sail RC.

I hope that's right.  On an MSC cruise last fall there wasn't facial.  

Port Canaveral has gotten busy with so many ships between Disney, Carnival, NCL, MSC and Royal.  I love it!  Great variety to choose from and more "new to PCN" ships are coming. 

15 minutes ago, twangster said:

I hope that's right.  On an MSC cruise last fall there wasn't facial.  

Port Canaveral has gotten busy with so many ships between Disney, Carnival, NCL, MSC and Royal.  I love it!  Great variety to choose from and more "new to PCN" ships are coming. 

Yes, this was recent, late May I believe. From what I read, that's part of the reason Mariner exclusively uses Terminal 5 now. It was using both 1 and 5 for a while and that made the Terminal 1 parking garage overcrowded. It was also occasionally leaving from Terminal 1 and returning to Terminal 5, causing passengers to be shuttled back to Terminal 1 if they parked there. Sounded like a mess but things are running smoothly now. There was plenty of Terminal 1 parking for my Harmony 5/29 sailing and I expect plenty for my Indy B2B in 20 days.

11 hours ago, USFFrank said:

Don't know about the other terminals there, but the Royal Caribbean terminal at Port Canaveral has facial recognition at their customs area which makes it a whole lot easier when you get off the ship.

Same at Port Liberty. While I fumbled around looking for my Passport the customs people sort of mocked me like I was supposed to know I didn’t need it.  Clearly they didn’t bother to see that I wasn’t understanding them… definitely a great way to check out, faster than ever.

14 hours ago, Alztyrbn said:

The blue customs declaration forms have been gone for 4-5 years now; and not just for cruising, but for air travel as well. 

Facial Recognition has been in use for a lot longer than most of us realize.  However, one thing that must be made clear, Facial Recognition only provides information about persons with known identity, which is most of us.  It will, but not 100% full proof, alert on known terrorists, smugglers, wanted persons, do not fly/cruise person's and so on.  It will also alert if there is NO identity on someone/an unknown person, which creates suspicion.  What it won't do is alert if a known person without any type of record is or isn't doing something they shouldn't be doing.   

I've noticed, during my recent airline trip to Seattle from Atlanta and return that TSA isn't relying on "Facial Recognition", they still have physical humans checking you out.  And I haven't come back into the U.S. from a foreign country into a major airport since before 9-11.  But, I'd bet that Customs/Immigration are still physically in major international arrival airports questioning and checking you out.  What I'm trying to say is that, my suggestion that Customs/Immigration that aren't at some cruise port terminals MAY not be there because of other tasks in other locations of the country and they are relying on "Facial Recognition" for the short term or duration of the other issues.  It would be nice if "Facial Recognition" could do everything that physical Customs/Immigration agents did.  But, I don't think (JMHO) the technology is there yet.  

As usual, I could be wrong.  In fact, I hope I am as I'm sure having no physical Customs/Immigration agents would be very convenient and nice. 

1 hour ago, Suite Snob said:

It would be nice if "Facial Recognition" could do everything that physical Customs/Immigration agents did.  But, I don't think (JMHO) the technology is there yet.  

I know computers have came a long way since the Amstrad 16 bit but i cant see them being able to search luggage, do swab tests or strip search as suspect 😂

3 hours ago, Suite Snob said:

Facial Recognition has been in use for a lot longer than most of us realize.  However, one thing that must be made clear, Facial Recognition only provides information about persons with known identity, which is most of us.  It will, but not 100% full proof, alert on known terrorists, smugglers, wanted persons, do not fly/cruise person's and so on.  It will also alert if there is NO identity on someone/an unknown person, which creates suspicion.  What it won't do is alert if a known person without any type of record is or isn't doing something they shouldn't be doing.   

I've noticed, during my recent airline trip to Seattle from Atlanta and return that TSA isn't relying on "Facial Recognition", they still have physical humans checking you out.  And I haven't come back into the U.S. from a foreign country into a major airport since before 9-11.  But, I'd bet that Customs/Immigration are still physically in major international arrival airports questioning and checking you out.  What I'm trying to say is that, my suggestion that Customs/Immigration that aren't at some cruise port terminals MAY not be there because of other tasks in other locations of the country and they are relying on "Facial Recognition" for the short term or duration of the other issues.  It would be nice if "Facial Recognition" could do everything that physical Customs/Immigration agents did.  But, I don't think (JMHO) the technology is there yet.  

As usual, I could be wrong.  In fact, I hope I am as I'm sure having no physical Customs/Immigration agents would be very convenient and nice. 

TSA at DFW started using facial recognition this week at American Airlines gates IF you have a TSA Pre Check number and an AA Advantage membership. I will get to try it out on Tuesday

17 hours ago, TXcruzer said:

TSA at DFW started using facial recognition this week at American Airlines gates IF you have a TSA Pre Check number and an AA Advantage membership. I will get to try it out on Tuesday

It will be interesting to read your review of it.

2 hours ago, Suite Snob said:

It will be interesting to read your review of it.

I’m excited for it, I’m glad DFW is being used as a test sight. 
I downloaded the APP, yesterday, scanned my passport, drivers license, and entered my known traveler number (also scanned my Global Entry card, although that wasn’t a requirement). There is the option to scan your vaccine card, but I didn’t do that at this time. 

I will file a report Tuesday afternoon.

On 6/24/2022 at 7:38 PM, Alztyrbn said:

Just got off yesterday; we did facial recognition and were done.  Didn't look at our passport, didn't give us a form to fill out.  

On 6/26/2022 at 9:57 AM, TXcruzer said:

I’m excited for it, I’m glad DFW is being used as a test sight. 
I downloaded the APP, yesterday, scanned my passport, drivers license, and entered my known traveler number (also scanned my Global Entry card, although that wasn’t a requirement). There is the option to scan your vaccine card, but I didn’t do that at this time. 

I will file a report Tuesday afternoon.

Well I got to DFW this morning at my normal time, about 75 minutes prior to boarding.

One MUST use a TSA pre check security point to use the facial recognition.  

I got in line and it soon split in two, one direction for facial recognition, one for traditional. We approached 8 "kiosks", very similar to the customs kiosks we are all familiar with upon debarkation. I pulled up the APP on my phone, the phone used facial ID to verify me and created a one time QR code, I waved my phone over the kiosk, looked into the kiosk screen and in less than 5 seconds got a green light and proceeded to security.

It was quick, painless, and I was through the entire process and at my gate in less than 10 minutes, it was a medium heavy day at the airport.  They had one TSA agent monitoring all the facial recognition kiosks.  They weren't overly used, but it seemed each machine was constantly turning over for another person, and the line never backed up.  As word gets out, and more people adopt it, it will be interesting to see how it goes.  I fly every 2 weeks, so I will expect to see utilization increase.

50 minutes ago, TXcruzer said:

Well I got to DFW this morning at my normal time, about 75 minutes prior to boarding.

One MUST use a TSA pre check security point to use the facial recognition.  

I got in line and it soon split in two, one direction for facial recognition, one for traditional. We approached 8 "kiosks", very similar to the customs kiosks we are all familiar with upon debarkation. I pulled up the APP on my phone, the phone used facial ID to verify me and created a one time QR code, I waved my phone over the kiosk, looked into the kiosk screen and in less than 5 seconds got a green light and proceeded to security.

It was quick, painless, and I was through the entire process and at my gate in less than 10 minutes, it was a medium heavy day at the airport.  They had one TSA agent monitoring all the facial recognition kiosks.  They weren't overly used, but it seemed each machine was constantly turning over for another person, and the line never backed up.  As word gets out, and more people adopt it, it will be interesting to see how it goes.  I fly every 2 weeks, so I will expect to see utilization increase.

That is great.  Makes things a lot more efficient and customer friendly.

A couple of takeaways.  There is still a TSA person monitoring the lanes/kiosks and TSA only has one purpose/mission, security of aircraft (ports).  Their mission is nothing like Immigration/Customs.  Don't get me wrong, I think your experience with TSA is great and If I ever fly again, I'll be happy/glad to use that system.  I appreciate your review.  

I think the jury is still out as to whether Facial Recognition will replace physical human beings at ports of entry, especially for Immigration/Customs.  I'd bet that at the Port of Canaveral, even though there are no agents at the kiosks, there is someone behind the scenes watching the computers that monitor the Facial Recognition system.  Someone has to respond to a hit.  And I'd be willing to bet that they may not be there, at the kiosks, today, they probably will be back after all other issues die down.  As someone said, computers can't search bags, swab suspected items and so on.  Things are constantly changing.

10 minutes ago, Moby Dick said:

A couple of takeaways.  There is still a TSA person monitoring the lanes/kiosks and TSA only has one purpose/mission, security of aircraft (ports).  Their mission is nothing like Immigration/Customs.  Don't get me wrong, I think your experience with TSA is great and If I ever fly again, I'll be happy/glad to use that system.  I appreciate your review.  

I think the jury is still out as to whether Facial Recognition will replace physical human beings at ports of entry, especially for Immigration/Customs.  I'd bet that at the Port of Canaveral, even though there are no agents at the kiosks, there is someone behind the scenes watching the computers that monitor the Facial Recognition system.  Someone has to respond to a hit.  And I'd be willing to bet that they may not be there, at the kiosks, today, they probably will be back after all other issues die down.  As someone said, computers can't search bags, swab suspected items and so on.  Things are constantly changing.

No doubt, you are right, there will always be the human element, it must be that way, and I think that is good.  The main takeaway from todays exercise was one of efficiency, one agent, effectively processing 8 lines of people; certainly a good option to stretch limited manpower.

11 minutes ago, Moby Dick said:

At cruise terminals there are terminal contractors standing right beside the kiosks.  They direct passengers to approach and how to use the kiosk.  If anyone doesn't get a green result the terminal contractors direct the person into a queue for a face to face with CBP.  

CBP will always have a presence to handle those passengers that require conventional processing based on their citizenship or citizens that warrant a deeper review.  The goal isn't to eliminate all human beings but to streamline the process in a scenario where most of the people don't need direct interaction with CBP.  Gone are the days of a one or two hour wait in a CBP queue coming off a large ship even with a dozen or more CBP agents on site.  For the bulk of passengers it's now a matter of minutes, you hardly stop walking once you have your luggage.  Two or three CBP agents now can handle the exceptions.

8 minutes ago, twangster said:

At cruise terminals there are terminal contractors standing right beside the kiosks.  They direct passengers to approach and how to use the kiosk.  If anyone doesn't get a green result the terminal contractors direct the person into a queue for a face to face with CBP.  

CBP will always have a presence to handle those passengers that require conventional processing based on their citizenship or citizens that warrant a deeper review.  The goal isn't to eliminate all human beings but to streamline the process in a scenario where most of the people don't need direct interaction with CBP.  Gone are the days of a one or two hour wait in a CBP queue coming off a large ship even with a dozen or more CBP agents on site.  For the bulk of passengers it's now a matter of minutes, you hardly stop walking once you have your luggage.  Two or three CBP agents now can handle the exceptions.

I hope, in a way, you are right.  I'm just a little skeptical of totally eliminating the Kiosks and relying on a "green light".  Face to face intercourse in terminals, just ask Israel, is the best form of security if integrated and deployed properly.  But, I'm old school, I guess.

• 5 weeks later...

I found this very interesting (I was going to come here and ask the same question).  We got off Harmony on 7/17.  It had been almost 8 years since our last cruise (on Disney) and when we left the ship at debarkation I was surprised we just waltzed right past empty Customs desks.  Having cruised many times before, I remember the declaration forms and the line through Customs.  

Besides identity checking, the customs forms had you declare items you bought so you could pay taxes on overages beyond the allowance.  Does anyone know how that is handled now or do they just think it was too much time/effort/cost for the amount of taxes being collected?

45 minutes ago, JimMack said:

I found this very interesting (I was going to come here and ask the same question).  We got off Harmony on 7/17.  It had been almost 8 years since our last cruise (on Disney) and when we left the ship at debarkation I was surprised we just waltzed right past empty Customs desks.  Having cruised many times before, I remember the declaration forms and the line through Customs.  

Besides identity checking, the customs forms had you declare items you bought so you could pay taxes on overages beyond the allowance.  Does anyone know how that is handled now or do they just think it was too much time/effort/cost for the amount of taxes being collected?

It's an honor system now.  If you know you have items that exceed your personal allowances you should self report to the custom officials that you walk right past after the facial recognition.  

Facial recognition is not a green light to bypass custom allowances.  There are still CBP officials on hand that watch everyone and they could decide to pull anyone from the line and process you the old fashioned way.