3 Alaskan excursions cancelled??

Julie.a

I'm excited for our first Alaskan cruise in just over 3 weeks, but I received an email last night saying our Skagway excursion was cancelled.  I wanted to do the White Pass Scenic Railway, but didn't book before they all sold out.  We ended up doing the Best of Skagway tour, which has the White Hall Pass plus a few others things.  It was obviously more expensive, but this was something we REALLY wanted to do.  I'm devastated that it was cancelled because there are no other good excursions now.  I have a lot of extended family going on this cruise, and 2 of them said their excursions were also cancelled, but in different cities.  Is it common for excursions to be cancelled?  Is something going on that is causing Royal Caribbean to cancel so many?  I called customer service today, but they weren't able to (or didn't want to share) what happened.  

One thing that happened today was a rockslide that closed the Railroad Pier in Skagway (where Quantum docks). The Quantum changed itineraries as a result. The Discovery Princess was docked and being prepared for passengers to disembark when it happened, so it's fortunate no one was hurt or killed. I read that it's not the first time this has happened.

21 minutes ago, Johnstewarth said:

One thing that happened today was a rockslide that closed the Railroad Pier in Skagway (where Quantum docks). The Quantum changed itineraries as a result. The Discovery Princess was docked and being prepared for passengers to disembark when it happened, so it's fortunate no one was hurt or killed. I read that it's not the first time this has happened.

That’s terrible, and I’m glad everyone is okay.  But we received the cancellation notice last night.  I completely understand that stuff happens, but I’m trying to understand the common theme between my Skagway cancellation, my aunt’s Juneau cancellation, and my other aunt’s Victoria cancellation.  Just seems odd that we’re all having this issue, but in different ports.  

11 minutes ago, Julie.a said:

Their website asks that cruise passengers not book through them directly. 

They asked. You don't have to comply with the request, especially if it's the only way to get a ticket to ride. 

Part of the reasoning behind that request may be a concern with trip delays causing passengers to miss their all aboard time if the train ride does not include an official excursion.