Non-cruise arranged shore excursions

cassieg007

We're looking to do a shore excursion that isn't available to book through RC, however of course we won't get priority disembarking because of this! Does anyone have any experience with this kind of situation? How long would it normally take on average to disembark if you are not doing a shore excursion but just went to the town for a bit?

Thanks so much :)

I am wondering the same thing. I booked excursions through a private company in Cozumel and Costa Maya for my Freedom of the Seas sailing in 18 days. How long will it take me to get off the ship?

Minutes.  You're docked at both ports, so you should be able to walk off.  And usually, the gang way opens before the posted time and before official announcements are made, so if you go early there definitely won't be much of a wait.

Guest toodle68

I am wondering the same thing. I booked excursions through a private company in Cozumel and Costa Maya for my Freedom of the Seas sailing in 18 days. How long will it take me to get off the ship?

The longest, and unexpected, part of getting off at Cozumel was going through 'food check'. They have dogs sniffing for food and they will search and take ANY food item. It was amazing to see the food they had taken. People had loaded up breakfast items in ziplock bags etc.  It was only a 5-10 minute delay though.. although if two ships are unloading at the same time, expect longer lines.

The other issue we had at Cozumel was getting a taxi. By the time we got to the line, it was a nightmare.

The longest, and unexpected, part of getting off at Cozumel was going through 'food check'. They have dogs sniffing for food and they will search and take ANY food item. It was amazing to see the food they had taken. People had loaded up breakfast items in ziplock bags etc. It was only a 5-10 minute delay though.. although if two ships are unloading at the same time, expect longer lines.

The other issue we had at Cozumel was getting a taxi. By the time we got to the line, it was a nightmare.

Good points. I was also amazed at the number of people taking food off the ship even though it is clearly stated in the Cruise Compass that it is forbidden to do so. They're quite lucky they weren't fined by the Mexican government for doing so.

Good points. I was also amazed at the number of people taking food off the ship even though it is clearly stated in the Cruise Compass that it is forbidden to do so. They're quite lucky they weren't fined by the Mexican government for doing so.

I have been to Cozumel a number of times and enjoyed the local foods with no adverse abdominal effects. Just don't drink the water! :o  I don't understand why folks would want to take food off the ship? 

I have been to Cozumel a number of times and enjoyed the local foods with no adverse abdominal effects. Just don't drink the water! :o I don't understand why folks would want to take food off the ship?

Nor have I, but I did fear it last trip because of how the food tasted. Fortunately, no I'll effects.

All I can think of is to perhaps save money.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been to Cozumel a number of times and enjoyed the local foods with no adverse abdominal effects. Just don't drink the water! :o  I don't understand why folks would want to take food off the ship? 

Apologies if this is hijacking, but does that include the ice/water at Nachi Cocom? We're headed there next month, but I'm second-guessing now due to water-born illness concerns. Thanks!

Apologies if this is hijacking, but does that include the ice/water at Nachi Cocom? We're headed there next month, but I'm second-guessing now due to water-born illness concerns. Thanks!

We had no problems at Nachi -- waiter told us they use purified water for ice, and always brought bottled water to drink.

Has anyone ever had a problem booking with an outside company vs direct with RC? I'm looking at Xplor in Cozumel and it's so much cheaper to book direct with them and pay extra for transportation than it is to book direct with RC

I have had poor experiences on EOS cruises where I booked through RCL The shore operators kept blaming RCL. RCL offered the standard "they are independent firms not under our control"

I believe if you front for these cruise operators it was your responsibility to vet them and offer refunds when they fould up.

My next cruise in April I booked all tours with Viator dot com

On our last cruise to Cozumel we went to the Amazing Secret River (and it truly was amazing).  The excursion included a lunch buffet in a little pavillion outside by the cave.  It was nothing short of great.   We  never thought a single thing about it - we ate all of the salads and veggies and meats in the buffet and drank water and fresh juice and never had one single problem.  RCCL makes sure the food-included excursions are totally safe.  I've been deep into Mexico a zillion times and have had problems in the past, especially in the Sierra Madre area, but you can rest assured that the RCCL excursions are A-OK.