How long to get off boat in Rome?

BJones22

9 hours ago, BJones22 said:

Taking early July cruise on Wonder of Seas. What time is realistic disembark and take train to Rome?  Do train tickets need to be purchased in advance or is day of OK?

Thanks!

You can get off very early in Rome as passengers board and debark here also.  We debarked here a few weeks back and got off at 7:30.  You can purchase the tickets the day of, but there may be a line at the ticket window.

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, BrianNLisa said:

How much are the tickets from the port to Rome? We may be brave and try it! Seems like it has to be cheaper and the excursion. But.....makes me a little nervous! Thoughts? We'd like to see the outside the Colosseum, but would rather see the insides of the Sistine Chapel and the Basilica.

Welcome to the boards! Are you departing the ship in Rome, or is it a port day for you? If it is a port day, where you have to be back to the ship at a certain time, I would think long and hard about doing it on your own. I would be terrified the entire time of some sort of disruption in the train making me miss the ship — it’s quite a way to go.

On 6/23/2022 at 12:03 AM, BJones22 said:

Taking early July cruise on Wonder of Seas. What time is realistic disembark and take train to Rome?  Do train tickets need to be purchased in advance or is day of OK?

Thanks!

There is no cruise port in Rome. Civitavecchia is the closest port, it is 50 miles away and 40-50 minutes by train (IF it is on schedule). Figure in what time you can get off the ship and what time you have to be back on the ship and decide from there. I have been to Rome twice and stayed there both times. Even with that we didn't get to see all we wanted or shop where we wanted. Perhaps if you just want to see one or two attractions, then maybe.😎