Traveling with person in wheelchair

Jstans

Sharing an experience, but not this ship or itinerary.

my mom needed a wheelchair for her dream European cruise.  I purchased a lightweight portable travel wheelchair to use.    I already had a regular heavy duty wheelchair to push her around and it killed my back.  The hardest part pushing the chair was on the carpeted hallways, so having a cabin near the elevator is good we did not have a handicap room, she was able to do the step up for the bathroom.  Also disembarkation, if I remember they may have assisted.  I had brought along my 16 year old son to push my moms wheelchair-there was no way I could push her all over the ship and Europe.  I also had a collapsible shower chair, because she would not have been able to stand long for a shower.  
Of course if your husband already has a wheelchair he can power himself then ignore my input.

Hello 

I have traveled twice with my brother who is in an electric wheelchair. We have been on the anthem ots and currently sailing back on the Oasis ots. From our experience RC does a good job for disabled passengers. He was in a accessible interior room on the anthem and a accessible central Park balcony on the Oasis. Both rooms are nice and large can accommodate a wheel chair. They also have automatic door openers which is nice to have. All of the public venues are accessible.

This is not to say that traveling with a wc will have no issues. The issues are with more other passengers or the number of passengers. Shows can be hard especially since everyone is trying leave the theater. We just stay and let other out first prior to leaving. Also we had many waits for elevators do to not having enough space.