Was I wrong?

Pooch

I thought if we canceled our third guest, RC would reprice the cruise & there would be very little difference AND they might move us to a J2 cabin.  BUT my TA called & they told her no reprice, just a refund of my daughter’s portion of the total and no cabin move.  We have til final payment to decide.  What a nice surprise!

28 minutes ago, Pooch said:

I thought if we canceled our third guest, RC would reprice the cruise & there would be very little difference AND they might move us to a J2 cabin.  BUT my TA called & they told her no reprice, just a refund of my daughter’s portion of the total and no cabin move.  We have til final payment to decide.  What a nice surprise!

That IS a surprise.  Nice job !

17 hours ago, Pooch said:

I got the same surprise not too long ago.  We had a cruise booked quite a while ago in a JS for 3 people.  My daughter decided not to go so I thought they would do a reprice for 2 people at current rates. We only booked this cruise so my daughter could use her $250 FCC which wasn't her money to begin with.  I thought it would be a nightmare scenario because the price of the cruise had gone up in the room category we had but we might have saved a bit of money if we switched to a 2 person JS, repriced it, and made it nonrefundable

I forget what all happened but my daughter told the Royal agent we could apply her $250 FCC to our cruise fare.  The cruise price reverted to the price had we originally booked the cruise for 2 people --- no reprice was done plus we got the $250 FCC applied to our cruise fare.  The cruise was refundable so her share of the deposit was also applied to our cruise fare.  We had only paid the deposits on this cruise but our remaining balance due decreased significantly. We kept the same room and it was still refundable and no change fee.

It's rare that they would force a move to a double occupancy only cabin. The price doesn't change because you're paying a premium for passengers 1 and 2 in a 3+ occupancy room which is often more than they would cost in a double occupancy room. 

It's when you don't secure that third person on your initial booking and go to add them later that it causes a reprice.  That's why I always advise to book the third initially. Even though it requires the additional deposit it will lock in your rate. The deposit will get rolled into your total payments made towards the cruise if you drop the third person.