Suite attendant tipping and more

Stelkp

A little bit different approach.  Room attendant at the beginning and if exceptional - an additional tip at the end.  Just like the suite lounge, I do a good tip on the first visit and service quality and speed increase on subsequent visits.  Concierge at the end with the amount being based on the number of times we use them, effort required, and quality.

I typically prepay my tips so that the basics are covered. 

I typically will ask for extra towels and to keep the ice bucket full. I will give the attendant a twenty as I am asking. 

If everything is good for the rest of the cruise (it usually is after thev1st tip), then I would give another 80 to 100 as an additional tip for a suite. Maybe less for a JS.

I do not think that tipping above what Royal charges is necessary. If you aren't asking for extras, and the service was adequate, then I don't think you are obligated to add anything. I have never had bad service on any cruise, but if I did I still would tip the normal amount Royal charges. I would just make a complaint instead - Hopefully that never happens!

1. As to what is a "good tip" amount, that depends on you.  If you pre-paid gratuities and want to tip more, then you tip what you can afford and commensurate to the service you received.  Remember, its not on you to feed your room attendant's family or to pay his salary. 

2. As to timing, I personally begin each stay on a cruise, motel, hotel, whatever, by finding our room attendant and introducing myself.  I hand them anywhere from $10 to $20 at the very beginning.  Generally, this leads to some proactive service such as the room attendant asking me my preferences in what time I will be in or out, etc.  I then tip $2 every night.  At the end, if service was spectacular, and in our case on our recent cruise it was spectacular, I tip an additional $20.  Some may think too little, some may think too much, to each his/her own.

3. Here is an additional thought...I asked my room attendant what kind of things he likes to snack on.  My room attendant had not been off ship since starting his contracts 6 weeks ago.  My family and I bought snacks at port, a couple of Asian instant ramen noodles, and some candy.  I gave the room attendant the gifts and he gave me an air hug.  It was sweet.

I prefer to tip at the end of my cruise. But, if I’m doing a back to back…I’ll tip at the end of each week. Sometimes cabin attendants change assignments after each cruise and although I have the same room, it may be a new attendant. Also, even though the concierge usually stays the same, I still like tipping after each week. Same with the CK host/ess and manager.

I Always tip the cabin person at the end.  And I give 'extras' along the way.  I've also learned here, folks buying a little extra while in port, just as an extra thank you to the cabin attendant.   Suite concierge?  Never even knew they had one.  We've sure never met one.👤

We always prepay gratuities but we also tip at the stateroom attendant at the beginning of the cruise.  We generally will give them $75-$100 dollars cash, my husband and I have found in most cases it results in better service.  And in many cases we will tip them an extra $20-$30 dollars at the end of the cruise if we feel like their service was truly exemplary.  

Even though we stay in suites we don't use the suite concierge often, there are some cruises where we never even walk in the suite lounge so we don't tip the suite concierge separate from the prepaid gratuities.

When we have cakes, cookies, pastries, cold cut tray(s), fruit plates, etc etc delivered to our suite and can't finish it, we tell the attendant(s) that if it is still there in the morning, it's theirs.  There is almost always at least half of a cake left over.  They always seem to be very appreciative of it.  

We always tip on the last cruise.  Well, that's for the attendant and Genie.  Servers get a tip as the service is delivered.  If I have an adult beverage, I give the server/bartender a $2.00 bill.  I try to have a couple hundred dollars worth of $2.00 bills just to give to the restaurant, bar, bartender servers.  Most of them seem to enjoy being given the bills (yes, I know some don't like them because "they say" that their bank back home won't accept them).   Cabin attendant, for a 7 day cruise gets, if just average, $100.00, per bed.  The Genie gets a minimum of $500.00, unless really bad (I haven't had one that bad yet).