Alaskan Ulu knives

zjennk

We are going on the Ovation at the end of July. I was reading that Ulu knives are very popular souvnier to bring back home but we have to fly from Seattle to PA.  Should I have it shipped home or can it go in our checked luggage?  What else are good souvniers from Alaska?  

I don't think Royal allows knives onboard.  You may want to check on that first.  Also, FedEx or UPS is probably your best bet.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/prohibited-items-onboard-policy

• Sharp Objects, including all knives and scissors. (Note: Personal grooming items such as safety razors are allowed. Scissors with blade length less than 4 inches are allowed.)

15 minutes ago, Suite Snob said:

I don't think Royal allows knives onboard.  You may want to check on that first.  Also, FedEx or UPS is probably your best bet.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/prohibited-items-onboard-policy

• Sharp Objects, including all knives and scissors. (Note: Personal grooming items such as safety razors are allowed. Scissors with blade length less than 4 inches are allowed.)

They made exceptions for Ulu's at least a few years back. I have returned 3 times with them. .. The souvenir ones are pretty dull but ornate. They also for most part are under 4". A real one is pretty sharp and I could see that as potential problem. 

19 minutes ago, deep1 said:

They made exceptions for Ulu's at least a few years back. I have returned 3 times with them. .. The souvenir ones are pretty dull but ornate. They also for most part are under 4". A real one is pretty sharp and I could see that as potential problem. 

The 4" rule applies only to Scissors.  It says, "all knives", no exceptions mentioned.  That was just to clarify.  However, if exceptions can be made, go for it. 

"I report, you decide". 

I have purchased multiple ulus while cruising Alaska, and in every case, they allowed them on the ship and welcomed me to take them to my cabin.  I don't know if ulus are an exception, or if they just didn't want to be bothered.   On the airplane home however, it would have to travel in checked luggage.

Additionally, there are many sellers of ulus in Alaska,  many offering to mail them to your home or to a gift recipient, for a fee.

Ironically they sometimes sell them on the ship.  

I first encountered the ulu when I lived in the Arctic fresh out of college.  They are the utility knife of the North used by many native cultures beyond Alaska.  

Later in life the ulu knives I had obtained in my youth were lost over the years so I have acquired some on Alaskan cruises.  I found a nice one in Skagway that I purchased in a store that featured more authentic native art.  I was able to bring it on board without any issues.  Onboard they had some mass produced ulu in the gift store that I purchased as souvenirs to give away.  They all went in my checked airline luggage when I flew home after the cruise.  

If in doubt stop any security officer on board and ask them if you can buy an ulu on land and bring it on board.

BTW - they make great pizza cutters at home 🙂 

Different cruise line, so your mileage may vary. But my wife bought one on an Alaskan cruise a few years ago. When we went through security getting back on the ship, they confiscated the knife but attached her name and room number. It was returned to us the last night of the cruise. Others have reported taking it back to their room without a problem. But either way, the point is that you'll have no problem getting it in time to pack it in your checked bag for the flight home. 

17 hours ago, Jamesszy94 said:

When I was in Alaksa, I wanted to buy a couple of these, but we were flying home to Australia from LA, so we didn't want to risk having them in our luggage.

Why would you want to buy a knife anywhere else?  Australia has some of the best knives in the world!  Just ask this guy:

that_s-a-knife-photo-u2?fit=crop&fm=pjpg&q=60&w=650&dpr=2

LOL