30% off Giovanni's Table

SFLcruiser

Giovanni's meal just "meh" on Liberty in Nov, but the service was fabulous. Gave it another try on Indy in January and the meal was "good", but the service was "meh". We love Chops and Sabor, but will not return to Giovanni's at full price. For $21 we would give it serious consideration if we did not like the MDR menu option for the same evening.

I'm in a dilemma now. I had chops books at $49 per person but now Giovanni's is $21. My wife would prefer Giovanni's for sure. Just wondering does Giovanni's have a decent steak to compare to Chops?

$49 is pushing the limit for Chops in my opinion residuary when one of their desserts is simply the always available cookies with ice cream. They also seem to be surpassing the competition with the surcharge and offering fewer choices on the menu (e.g., no ribeye or porterhouse).

Can someone please explain how the food there works? Do we each pick 1 appetizer, 1 main, 1 dessert? What about appetizer and soup or salad? You can't order all you want like in the MDR right? 

Thanks!

Good question. I, too, am interested in a knowledgeable reply.

Giovanni's seems to have reviews in one of two categories, either it was awesome or it was OK. We've been to Gio's twice (two different ships) and found it to be OK. Some people raved about it on the same cruises. I do encourage you to try as many things foodwise on a cruise as possible. If you haven't been to Gio's, give it a try. (Unless you've got multiple stomachs, good luck with eating more than one entree :) )

Checkout the multi-dinner packages if you haven't already, they may work for you. If you plan on going to specific restaurants, do the math to determine if it's less expensive with a package or to buy individually. 

I agree with another post here that the Chops price is topped out. You can get a Chops steak in the main dining room for about $20(?). The atmosphere in Chops is nice, but extra price delta is difficult to justify. Chops used to be $25.

Thanks! We did Izumi on Oasis last year and we found it to be just ok-very salty food. So this year on Allure we decided to try Samba and now Gios since the sale. We're looking forward to it!

I really liked Samba Grill, although that's another one that gets mixed reviews.

Thanks! We did Izumi on Oasis last year and we found it to be just ok-very salty food. So this year on Allure we decided to try Samba and now Gios since the sale. We're looking forward to it!

I also enjoyed Samba.  Let me give you a small tip, if you decide to go there.

They will start the meal with the "cheap" cuts of meat.  I am not a huge meat eater anyway, but I feel for their little scam and by the time we got to the GOOD stuff, I was completely full.

If I ever do it again, I will wait for the picanha, which will actually truly melt in your mouth. Don't let them fill you up on the junk, unless you just want to try everything and you have a huge appetite.

I also enjoyed Samba.  Let me give you a small tip, if you decide to go there.

They will start the meal with the "cheap" cuts of meat.  I am not a huge meat eater anyway, but I feel for their little scam and by the time we got to the GOOD stuff, I was completely full.

If I ever do it again, I will wait for the picanha, which will actually truly melt in your mouth. Don't let them fill you up on the junk, unless you just want to try everything and you have a huge appetite.

Thanks for the tip! 

Also, don't fill up on the salad bar .... as a wise person once said it just fills up the space where meat is supposed to go.

Also, don't eat the salmon that has been sitting out on the salad bar .... as the husband of the couple we were with said .... I have to run to the restroom. Food poisoning is not as much fun as you might think ;)