Any suggestions for Roatan and Costa Maya local shore excursions?

CALFROM

A trip to one of the Mayan ruins sites is definitely top of my list for Costa Maya.  For Roatan, if you happen to want to do a dolphin encounter, they have the very best one I have ever seen, both in regards to how you are treated and also to how well and how humanely treated the Dolphins themselves are.  It is run by the Roatan Institute of Marine Science, and is an actual research facility, not just a tourist trap trying to get your money.  I know the management there, and have visited many times over the years, and they are absolutely the best I have ever seen.  Every time my regular recurring group of actors and fans from the Doctor Who TV series finds ourself cruising on an itinerary that includes Roatan we always make sure we are there.  We have actually come to know several of the Dolphins families over the years, seeing first the parents, and then their children, visit after visit. Here is a pic from our first visit with "Gracie" way back in 2003, we saw her again in 2006, and both her & her daughter "Maury" in 2013. The entire main facility is built in a natural cove and the Dolphins are well enough treated that they stay ther of their own volition and are free to jump the fence that protects them from predators and come and go as they please should they wish to do so, I doubt many other Dolphin facilities can boast that.

03GuestsDolphin.jpg

On 6/21/2022 at 11:26 AM, CALFROM said:

Hello,

I have not been to either place and looking for a land excursion that is 1/2 day or less and interesting for 4 adults .  TYIA

@CALFROM how active is your party? What do they like to do? 

There are animal sanctuaries in Roatan that provide a very interactive visit with the animals. We used Roatan Getaway Tours on our last trip and they were great.

Snorkeling is also pretty good. Clear, calm, warm water - EASY snorkeling for beginners. We saw lots of conch (live, not just discarded shells), a spiny lobster and a ray. Not as many colorful fish as in other places, but still really interesting.

4 hours ago, jbrinkm said:

@Kathleen can you say more about this? What did you enjoy about it? Do you think teenagers would enjoy it? What tour did you use?

We took the tour with Royal Caribbean. We opted to do the small group one which was a max of 12 people. Our tour guide was great and very knowledgeable of the ruins as well as the flora and fauna. Many of the ruins are long travels from the port. This one is about 50-60 mins on nice CV maintained highways . The ruins themselves were fun to explore and learn from. So many times when they say ruins it’s just a few old structures. These were ruins of a well developed city/community from ages ago. Just a few photos of some of the ruins to give you an idea. 

9E50F9C1-D80B-4843-AC32-7DD2297D677A.jpeg

CFEBEC0C-0837-42CE-9FD7-8D3E8DE49CE1.jpeg

4A4EC879-2E11-4D01-975F-CA5B18143251.jpeg

18 hours ago, jbrinkm said:

@Kathleen can you say more about this? What did you enjoy about it? Do you think teenagers would enjoy it? What tour did you use?

I have a 16 year old and I can assure you that teenagers will complain about whatever choice you make.  It's Mayan ruins - reasonably good ones - with a history from the guide.

We brought my then 14 year old and he said it was OK (a ringing endorsement from him).  We went to one of the beach clubs in town for lunch after the tour.

Years ago, we did our first tour with Native Choice in Costa Maya.  It was when David, the owner, was doing the tours himself.  It seriously changed the course of our daughter's life who was in the 6th grade at the time.  His story is amazing.  The company has grown quite a bit since then, but the heart is still the same and I recommend Native Choice to anyone and everyone.

On 6/22/2022 at 6:49 PM, wordell1 said:

Thanks so much for the info.  My son lives in Pflugerville.  Just moved there a year ago from Chicago!

On 6/30/2022 at 3:44 PM, jbrinkm said:

For us, it was jungle-like, so interesting plants and trees around the ruins.  At the time, we were allowed to climb the ruins (carefully).  The gift shop was interesting, too.  We used a Royal tour.  We are going to repeat this excursion in December.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone do the "Chacchoben Mayan Ruins & Bacalar Lagoon Beach" thru RC?  Was it any good?  So hard to know what size group or any reviews from the ones on RC site.

We were also trying to decide between Mayan Eden Eco Park and Gumbalimba Preservation Park.  We have Mayan booked because that was the first one that appeared.

On 6/28/2022 at 6:58 PM, Kathleen said:

We really enjoyed the Chacchoben ruins in Costa Maya.

Yep, we did this excursion too and enjoyed it immensely [to Chacchoben].  Pretty long bus ride, but the ruins were great.  After these ruins though, we're not sure what to do.  We've enjoyed the port pools when only one ship docked, but if more than one...look out, the crowds become daunting. If we stop at costa maya again we plan to do an atv excursion.  We did an atv excursion in cozumel and to our surprise, it was really a lot of fun.  We always consider beach and snorkeling, but to date [2022], seaweed has been a problem washing up on beaches there in costa maya.  it's intermittent we guess, but can't predict and totally ruins beach or in water activities if prevalent [close in anyway].  Open to ideas on excursions others have enjoyed though;  ideas really appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/18/2022 at 10:35 PM, IzzyB said:

Anyone do the "Chacchoben Mayan Ruins & Bacalar Lagoon Beach" thru RC?  Was it any good?  So hard to know what size group or any reviews from the ones on RC site.

We were also trying to decide between Mayan Eden Eco Park and Gumbalimba Preservation Park.  We have Mayan booked because that was the first one that appeared.

Yes please! We’re looking to book this as well, if anyone has anymore they’d like to add please let us know. 🙂

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/18/2022 at 10:35 PM, IzzyB said:

Yes! Chacchoben & Blue Lagoon was one of our top excursions ever! We plan to repeat it when we go back.

We've did the Chacchoben Mayan Ruins through Native tours twice and Maya Chan once. The ruins were very good though a long bus ride. 

Maya Chan has great food and is very relaxing. If all you want to do is eat, drink and lay around Maya Chan is your place. The beach is covered in seaweed. Swimming and snorkeling were marginal. Absolutely nothing to see in the water.