Alaska (June 10 Sailing) Recap and Thoughts

10 minutes ago, Sea Squirrel said:

Thanks Moby D. We are hoping for Dexter but would be happy with Agostina. We have seen some comme ci comme ca feedback on Rahul. 

We had Rahul for only two days as he hurt himself.  Then we had Dexter for two days as he hurt himself.  Then we had Agostina, as stated her first time as a full fledged Genie.  She was the only Genie left for all 8 Star Class suites.  

To be honest, I really didn't have a problem with Rahul.  But, as I said, we only had him for 2 days.  I think Agostina did a very good job taking care of all 8 suites.  But, you could see it on her face that she was about fried at the end of the cruise.  As I understand it, she had to start off the next cruise after ours without help.  

That is terrible. I noticed the “hurt” in one of your posts so I know what you mean. Hope none of ours get “hurt” and stay healthy. I know how hard they work when they have 2-3, can’t imagine 8. Wow. That is one way to shake the green off. We are super low end SC cruisers, lol, so we dont ask for much.  As long as we have afternoon wings, tenders or pizza, we are g2g, lol. 

19 minutes ago, Sea Squirrel said:

That is terrible. I noticed the “hurt” in one of your posts so I know what you mean. Hope no of ours get “hurt” and stay healthy. I know how hard they work when they have 2-3, can’t imagine 8. Wow. That is one way to shake the green off. 

We didn't know it was her first cruise until either Rahul or Dexter told us.  If you see Agostina, tell her I said hi.  I'm Jay the guy with the handlebar/curled mustache, her first cruise as a Genie and she took care of all 8 suites, the party with two old retired Army guys.  That all should help her remember me.  Even though she really only took care of us for 2 1/4 days, we still gave her several hundred $.  I'd hope she would remember that.  I hope you get her too.  

10 minutes ago, Sea Squirrel said:

Will definitely tell her hi for you, I’m sure we’ll see her. And thanks for your service, I’m an AF retiree and know how you soldiers like to party, lol. I am sure she’ll remember. 

Thank you too for your service.  Out!

16 minutes ago, Sea Squirrel said:

Hi @Moby Dick  we were assigned Agostina. Is she intuitive or should we be direct. Anything we should know?

Good for you!  As stated earlier, we only had her because we went through 2 other Genies that got "injured".  We only had her for about 2 days and we really didn't have much chance to really put her to work for us.  Everything had already been scheduled for us by the previous Genies.  She did meet us whatever restaurant we went into to ask if there was anything she could do for us.  She also followed through reserving our seats in the Theater, exactly where we wanted them, not middle front row, we don't like becoming part of the show.  It was her first cruise as a Genie, under the circumstances, I think she did great.  

Have you cruised in Star Class before?

Let us know what you thought about her.  So far, we haven't had a Genie that can hold a candle next to Marla.  Marla is the Gold Standard, at least for us.  

This will be out 4th Star sailing. We’ve never had the pleasure of Marla, Smitha is our gold standard. Leticia was our first post-covid. Never had a bad genie, we just like them to be intuitive. It’s my understanding Agostina used to be on Anthem and left the fleet during Covid and recently came back, my guess is on your sailing. 

11 minutes ago, Sea Squirrel said:

This will be out 4th Star sailing. We’ve never had the pleasure of Marla, Smitha is our gold standard. Leticia was our first post-covid. Never had a bad genie, we just like them to be intuitive. It’s my understanding Agostina used to be on Anthem and left the fleet during Covid and recently came back, my guess is on your sailing. 

I heard she was a suite concierge.  Yep, I like any customer service provider to be intuitive, as long as they're good at it, obviously.  I don't think we had to ask Marla for anything after we filled out the pre-cruise questionnaire and the initial Q & A with her when she showed us to our suite and sat down with us for about an hour.  She just seemed to take it all in, truly listen, absorb it all and that was that.  EVERYTHING else was done from that point on without any, or at least very few other questions and decisions.  We got an itinerary made up for us and that was that.  She was almost always in our back pocket, at a distance making sure we got the best of service from every venue and crew.  Everything we put on our Pre-Cruise questionnaire was satisfied, actually exceeded our expectations.  When we got into our suite, there was a complete, as requested in the pre-cruise questionnaire, ice cream sundae bar with ALL the fix'ins.  I was amazed.  The Grandkids were in their happy place. 

We've only had one Genie that I hope I never get again (I'll keep his identity to myself).  He wasn't bad, just not real good.  I expect real good when I pay 10s of K on a cruise.  But, then he was our Genie right after having Marla.  Nobody can live up to that.  So, maybe I should cut him some slack because of that. LOL

I’ve read wonderful things about Marla. We feel the same way about Smitha. She was no nonsense. “What? Coastal Kitchen said they can not deliver breakfast before 7? Not while I’m here, we’ll fix that”. We had CK buffet (not room service) every morning in our cabin after that. “The manager did what at Giovanni’s? not on my watch. He will find you and apologize”. He found us at Hibachi in Izumi that night to apologize. He even sent a bottle of wine.  We felt like rock stars. She was amazing. “No” from other crew was not an option for Smitha. We asked to get off early in one port. Smitha took us to the door. We literally were able to stand in the open door while we approached the pier. She was amazing.  Love love love Smitha!

2 hours ago, Sea Squirrel said:

I’ve read wonderful things about Marla. We feel the same way about Smitha. She was no nonsense. “What? Coastal Kitchen said they can not deliver breakfast before 7? Not while I’m here, we’ll fix that”. We had CK buffet (not room service) every morning in our cabin after that. “The manager did what at Giovanni’s? not on my watch. He will find you and apologize”. He found us at Hibachi in Izumi that night to apologize. He even sent a bottle of wine.  We felt like rock stars. She was amazing. “No” from other crew was not an option for Smitha. We asked to get off early in one port. Smitha took us to the door. We literally were able to stand in the open door while we approached the pier. She was amazing.  Love love love Smitha!

Similar story:

On our Symphony cruise, we went to Hook's for dinner one night.  We don't do seafood much but we love shrimp.  Anyway, Hooked has an appetizer, Mexican Shrimp Cocktail that is fantastic. Our service was fantastic and the shrimp dishes we had was great.  The next day, we went back to Hooked for lunch, our server from the night before was there but not our server.  I asked our server for the Mexican Shrimp Cocktail and our server said that that is only available during the evening meals.  Our server from the night before overheard this.  He, immediately, went over the the manager and told her that we were Star Class and that our server refused to serve us the Mexican Shrimp Cocktail.  Now, keep in mind that we didn't complain about this and we just thought that that is what it is.  Well, in the matter of minutes there was all kinds of activities going on in the seafood island where they prepare many of their dishes.  And shortly there after, I got the biggest Mexican Shrimp Cocktail delivered by the Manager with the longest apology I've ever heard.  I actually felt bad for our server.  But, the cocktail was Fannnnnnnntastic.  I did TIP our server, the manager, and the server from the night before.  No Genie involved in the experience.