Advice for ABC Excursions

Snotarni

I know there's a lot of info on the boards for A, B and/or C excursions, but looking for some more recent experiences...  Any great MUST DO items that we shouldn't miss, or excursions you took that weren't worth it?  We're going in October on Explorer.

Thanks!!

I can highly recommend the "Sunset Harbor Cruise" offered by the ship's tour office and conducted locally by Red Sail Catamarans.  Tons of fun!  My regular recurring cruise group of actors & fans from the Doctor Who TV show has done it three times over the years and is the best & most fun party booze boat we've ever done, and one of the few I've seen that runs a full open bar, not just a vat of rum punch to casually refill your glasses from.

On 6/21/2022 at 8:40 AM, Snotarni said:

I know there's a lot of info on the boards for A, B and/or C excursions, but looking for some more recent experiences...  Any great MUST DO items that we shouldn't miss, or excursions you took that weren't worth it?  We're going in October on Explorer.

Thanks!!

We just returned from the ABCs.  All three excursions were drive-around-the island, the Bonaire excursion being a last-minute substitute for a snorkeling excursion the operator cancelled.  I felt a little down because we missed the beaches, so pick at least one excursion that is fun.  Bonaire's shopping was very limited, but Aruba and Curacao are walkable into town.  We enjoyed Curacao the most, even got caught on the floating bridge when it opened.  Had a nice lunch at a local restaurant.  So I would say you should try the beach at Aruba, and divers like Bonaire.  Bonaire was a short port call (on board at 1:30 PM) but Aruba and Curacao were long days.  Thus, you can visit the town center in the AM and hit the beaches in the PM.

27 minutes ago, ChessE4 said:

We just returned from the ABCs.  All three excursions were drive-around-the island, the Bonaire excursion being a last-minute substitute for a snorkeling excursion the operator cancelled.  I felt a little down because we missed the beaches, so pick at least one excursion that is fun.  Bonaire's shopping was very limited, but Aruba and Curacao are walkable into town.  We enjoyed Curacao the most, even got caught on the floating bridge when it opened.  Had a nice lunch at a local restaurant.  So I would say you should try the beach at Aruba, and divers like Bonaire.  Bonaire was a short port call (on board at 1:30 PM) but Aruba and Curacao were long days.  Thus, you can visit the town center in the AM and hit the beaches in the PM.

Thanks!  I think we're looking at it this way so far...   Aruba - Beach/Pool Resort;  Bonaire - Snorkeling; Curacao - Touring, Eating, Shopping.  But, we have a few months to alter our plans.

For what you want to do in Curacao, I highly recommend reaching out to Edo at VIP Curacao.  http://www.viptourscuracao.com/  He will customize a tour for you that can include all three, and your guide will drive you everywhere.  We have done this twice now, and had two completely different tour days, both amazing. 

We happened to have Bernice training as a guide on our first tour, and she was so good we requested her again when we went back.  She took us to local lunch spots with great food both times.  We didn't want to shop, but it was an option and she did show us around the shopping area in case we wanted to go back.  In addition to all the usual tour stops - the plantation, a snorkel one trip at the turtle spot and the other at the tug boat, scenic overlooks, the bat cave, etc - she also was willing to hike to the top of Mt. Cristobal with us and on our second visit she walked us through a neighborhood that has engaged in a mural painting revitalization project, where we saw some beautiful paintings and learned a lot about local culture.  Basically, anything that you are interested in, this tour will cater to.  

All of their guides are very good and Edo's communication is superb.  Just tell him what you are thinking and he will make it happen.  Or, if you have no idea, ask him to curate a best day for you. 

On 6/28/2022 at 6:52 AM, Snotarni said:

Thanks!  I think we're looking at it this way so far...   Aruba - Beach/Pool Resort;  Bonaire - Snorkeling; Curacao - Touring, Eating, Shopping.  But, we have a few months to alter our plans.

I've researched Aruba and found the streetcar trolley which is free and will go to downtown. Also, they have public buses that run regularly and you can buy a one day pass for $10 that allows you to get on and off as much as you want.

• 6 months later...
On 6/21/2022 at 9:37 AM, WAAAYTOOO said:

I second this one.  It is really fun.

On 6/29/2022 at 3:22 PM, fa-li said:

For what you want to do in Curacao, I highly recommend reaching out to Edo at VIP Curacao.  http://www.viptourscuracao.com/  He will customize a tour for you that can include all three, and your guide will drive you everywhere.  We have done this twice now, and had two completely different tour days, both amazing. 

We happened to have Bernice training as a guide on our first tour, and she was so good we requested her again when we went back.  She took us to local lunch spots with great food both times.  We didn't want to shop, but it was an option and she did show us around the shopping area in case we wanted to go back.  In addition to all the usual tour stops - the plantation, a snorkel one trip at the turtle spot and the other at the tug boat, scenic overlooks, the bat cave, etc - she also was willing to hike to the top of Mt. Cristobal with us and on our second visit she walked us through a neighborhood that has engaged in a mural painting revitalization project, where we saw some beautiful paintings and learned a lot about local culture.  Basically, anything that you are interested in, this tour will cater to.  

All of their guides are very good and Edo's communication is superb.  Just tell him what you are thinking and he will make it happen.  Or, if you have no idea, ask him to curate a best day for you. 

what are the fees?

On 1/17/2023 at 10:38 AM, Censored said:

what are the fees?

For an all day private tour for two with VIPCuracao, it was $325.  This included our guide, entrance fee for the caves, and her fuel costs for driving us all over the island.  We paid for our own lunch in a restaurant she chose for us based on our preferences - and bought her lunch but that was not expected or required.  Of courses we tipped as well, I don't remember what, probably another seventy five or  hundred.  

On 1/17/2023 at 9:27 AM, Pooch said:

Yup, was SOOOO looking forward to this!  Canceled due to bad weather☹️☹️

Oh, no! Was this on your generally ill-fated cruise or another time?  We've been lucky to go twice so far, and have them booked again in March.  I never even thought about the chance of it being cancelled.  But that's a strong current for the drift snorkel.  I imagine if seas were rough it would be dangerous for all but the most experienced.

4 hours ago, fa-li said:

For an all day private tour for two with VIPCuracao, it was $325.  This included our guide, entrance fee for the caves, and her fuel costs for driving us all over the island.  We paid for our own lunch in a restaurant she chose for us based on our preferences - and bought her lunch but that was not expected or required.  Of courses we tipped as well, I don't remember what, probably another seventy five or  hundred.  

Sounds a tad pricey., but thanks!