Can you go back again?

We enjoyed our cruise this year so much that we started looking at spring break for next year, and our best option is the same ship and the same itinerary (although leaving from a different port). Have any of you gone on an identical cruise in a short time frame? Were you disappointed, or was it just as good the second time? 

I have, and I think it's better the 2nd/3rd time around (after that, port depending, it can get old - see The Bahamas, Nassau) - the 2nd time you go there, you feel more comfortable, not only with the ship, but the ports - and you usually want to see more and more or go back and attempt to relive the previous experience. I say go for it!

it could be better the second time around. You are not as obligated to go off the ship at the same ports as the first time. You could stay on the ship, or do something completely different in that same port. For us the second time around, depending on the port, if available we would do a day pass at an all inclusive resort, or if we did a land based tour of the port the first time, we would do a water based one the second time or vice-versa.

9 minutes ago, USFFrank said:

it could be better the second time around. You are not as obligated to go off the ship at the same ports as the first time. You could stay on the ship, or do something completely different in that same port. For us depending on the port, if available we would do a day pass at an all inclusive resort, or if we did a land based tour of the port the first time, we would do a water based one the second time.

I'm not a big fan of Ports of Call.  I would love to go on a 7 day cruise to nowhere.  But since that ain't gonna happen, I love the almost empty ship on port days.  It's almost like having the whole ship to myself (and my wife, of course).  

I'm going on the same itinerary twice in the same week next month, lol. What you're describing isn't a short time frame to me.

In any case, everyone has their own preferences... go for it if you've determined it's the best option based on your personal criteria.

I did a S2S2S which during the restart had the same itinerary. Different ships but same ports, somehow.

I think a year later will be great because you can think about all the things you missed, then think about all the things you know and make a near perfect vacation. 

The benefit of going back is trying things that were your number 2 choice last time.  Maybe you swam with stingrays and now you can try that catamaran sailboat cruise up the coast excursion.  Each stop typically has something that was your second choice last time.  Now it can be your first choice.    

We did that..........sorta.    Went from Bayonne to Port Canaveral, Nassau, and PDCC on Anthem for NYE cruise 2 years ago.

Last fall we went from Bayonne to Port Canaveral, Nassau, and PDCC on OASIS.   

The NYE cruise was Packed wall to wall with people, the Oasis cruise sailed at 40% capacity (LOVED IT) so it is hard to compare the experiences.

I have heard several people say there are port people and ship people.  I think we started off as port people but after several visits to the same ports we became ship people.   We may get off and browse the port shops but we also enjoy hanging out on the ship. 

28 minutes ago, Toby said:

I have heard several people say there are port people and ship people.  I think we started off as port people but after several visits to the same ports we became ship people.   We may get off and browse the port shops but we also enjoy hanging out on the ship. 

You hit the nail on the head.

I will get off the ship if I haven't been to that Port/County, just to say I have been there.  Usually walk about a block or two and go back.  

I honestly feel (YMMV) and it's been my experience/perception that if you've been to one Caribbean port, you've been to them all, for the most part.  Same type shops, same cheap merchandise just different country names on them, same jewelry shops, same people trying to sell you drugs, same people trying to verbally drag you into their shops.  One exception, Grand Cayman, never had one person try to verbally beat me into coming into their shop.  

But, many many many people like that kind of stuff and that's fine with me.  They can do them and I'll do me.  That's the wonderful thing about cruising, we can all do our own thing and hopefully do it without ridicule from others.  

52 minutes ago, Toby said:

I think there's two types of port people, too. Ones who must go on an excursion somewhere and ones who enjoy just milling around the port area (for the ports that have a touristy area right there)

1 hour ago, Toby said:

We used to be very port intensive......only one sea day total for 2 cruises when we first started.

Now we look for itineraries that have 2-3 sea days so we have time to slow down and relax.

We are booked for our third Thanksgiving cruise on Anthem.  Same ports each time.  And when we did a 3 day cruise for my husband's birthday it was the same ports.  My sons just did a week on Oasis, same exact itinerary as our Thanksgiving cruises. I like the ship more than the ports, so I don't mind at all.  And the kids are happy just hanging at a beach, so they don't mind either.

Seems to me, if you enjoyed the ship the first time, you'd probably enjoy it again. You would know what to avoid. You'd know where to book your cabin to suit your preferences. And at the ports, you'd probably have a better idea what to do as well. Also, the headliner shows, comedians, resident bands, pub and bar singers and cast of the big theater shows all change enough month to month that I'd think you be fine. And that break in period where you figure out the lay of the ship will be practically nothing, so you get right down to serious vacation time right away.

I am doing Anthem for B2B in November and I've been on this ship/itinerary before. And I already know what dining I want to do, what shows I want to see, what ports I want to get off at (Basically only Coco Cay). I am excited because I already have my game plan mapped out so there should be very little stress.

There are contingencies of people local to each port that sail the same ship and itinerary over and over.  For any Florida based frequent cruiser it's pretty difficult to find an itinerary or ship they haven't already done.  Folks who sail Anthem often from Bayonne have the same situation.  Same with West coast cruisers on Navigator and Texan's sailing from Galveston.   Allure from Galveston can only do one itinerary week after week due to the distances involved and ports that can be reached from Galveston.  Any returning guests once she starts sailing from Galveston will be repeating the same ports.

I've done cruises where I never left the ship once during that cruise.  I've done repeat cruises when I see an excursion on sale and book it.  Having dozens of repeat cruises booked I get to look across all of them and I can seek out the excursion deals and avoid them when the price isn't right for me. 

Every cruise is different in some way.  Different weather, different guests, different sunsets and sunrises.  Sometimes I book the UDP so dining is vastly different.  All still great to be cruising even if the ship and itinerary are the same.

I like to stay aboard most of the time. Been there, done that. But, I really like port intensive cruises because a lot of people leave the ship. Also, there’s less chance of high winds at port…there’s more to see, including other ships…I like the ship’s arrival and departure process…and sometimes I’ll take a quick stroll around the port. The only port I spend the most time ashore is CocoCay. Love Perfect Day!

21 minutes ago, BrianB said:

I like to stay aboard most of the time. Been there, done that. But, I really like port intensive cruises because a lot of people leave the ship. Also, there’s less chance of high winds at port…there’s more to see, including other ships…I like the ship’s arrival and departure process…and sometimes I’ll take a quick stroll around the port. The only port I spend the most time ashore is CocoCay. Love Perfect Day!

As someone who has mostly gone back and forth to the same ports quite a bit, we have a very similar attitude. There are a couple port excursions we will definitely do again when the opportunity presents itself though.

We're going a B2B 3 and 4-night next month solely to go to Cococay twice and otherwise stay on the ship.

14 hours ago, Toby said:

Replying to myself 🙂  We were not able to cruise during the early days of the restart and I was jealous of those who did and got to enjoy the reduced capacity and less crowded ships.  It occurred to me that is one of the reasons we like to stay on the ship during port calls, the reduced crowds when approx 50% of the guests get off the ship.