What Was The Best Theater Show You've Been To (On A Cruise) And the Least You Liked?

I can't wait until I have seen enough to have favorites!  Enjoyed Jimmy Hopper and the "music from" Grease as well as the ice show "through the decades" on Independence recently.  HATED the magician/variety act on the Mariner in 2020.  Of course, this shows a subjective personal preference for music over magic (didn't hate on the magician, just predisposed to be anti-magic show).  Looking forward to catching a comedy act on Harmony in the fall!

8 minutes ago, PRMLVM said:

I can't wait until I have seen enough to have favorites!  Enjoyed Jimmy Hopper and the "music from" Grease as well as the ice show "through the decades" on Independence recently.  HATED the magician/variety act on the Mariner in 2020.  Of course, this shows a subjective personal preference for music over magic (didn't hate on the magician, just predisposed to be anti-magic show).  Looking forward to catching a comedy act on Harmony in the fall!

Yep, I can't wait to see Grease.  It's on the Harmony and I have a booking in Jan 2024.  Hope it is still on then.  I forgot about the Ice Shows.  They are great.  I especially like the one that incorporated the Drones in the show.  It was fantastic.  But, I'm a big time Dornie, not a good one, just do it a lot. And you are 100% right-on, liking or disliking a show is very much a subjective personal preference.  I liked Mama Mia a lot mainly because I'm a big fan of ABBA.  

oh! I love all the live music on the ships (especially the big band/swing/standards, and the Latin rhythms).  Do other cruise lines have such an abundance?  70s in Schooners, Latin in Boleros, guitar in the pubs....love it.   I look forward to the "island beat" by the pool but sadly am not too impressed with the performers on Independence by the pool.  I mean...I love that they're there, and I do appreciate the performance and talent and am glad to hear them!  Maybe after 2 Independence cruises I'm just ready for a different take on the genre.

I'm biased as Mamma Mia is my favorite musical all around...it's just so fun and upbeat.  Have seen it 25x to date (with one of those times on Allure).  But I would have to say that We Will Rock You on Anthem was amazing...done really well and was able to go twice during the cruise.  It's my DD's favorite.

I also really enjoyed Hairspray on Symphony and Grease on Independence was good.

Gonna guess Cats will be my least favorite but haven't seen it yet.

For production shows...the one on Navigator wasn't my favorite as it felt like old cheezy Vegas show (even though the performers were talented).

7 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Anthem.  Story is kinda goofy (but aren’t they all ?) but Queen music is really excellent.

I love Abba but the storyline in Mama Mia ! is so ridiculous that I just can’t get past it.

I hear ya.  I love Queen's musical talent.  

You are entitled to like or dislike whatever you want.  

12 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Favorite - We Will Rock You

Worst - Tied - Mama Mia ! and Cats

Our favorite too! 🙂 We don’t ever miss.  

Cats was probably our least favorite, even though the cat ‘attitudes’ on their faces were amusing. Edited to add: Spectra Cabaret ties with Cats for least favorite. 

13 minutes ago, barbeyg said:

Our favorite too! 🙂 We don’t ever miss.  

Cats was probably our least favorite, even though the cat ‘attitudes’ on their faces were amusing. Edited to add: Spectra Cabaret ties with Cats for least favorite. 

I found there were some neat visuals in Spectra's Cabaret...but my main thought was "very weird".

11 hours ago, Va4fam said:

Can we count the Aqua 80's show on Oasis?!!!!

If not, We Will Rock You on Anthem was great.

Least fave...............Spectra's Cabaret?   

You can count whatever you want to count.  I'll admit that when I started this thread, I was only thinking, wrongly, about the main theater, there are several different theaters, large and small, on the larger Royal cruise ships (could be on the smaller/older ships as well, I just haven't cruised on them).  

It looks like the popular sentiment is Cats is at the bottom of the favorite list. 

I just didn't get Cats, what was the purpose?  The only thing I could think of, it was about what cats think and I couldn't care less about what cats think.  I think I slept through about 70% of it, twice.  Yep, twice.  For me, it was kinda like the movie "Michael".  I couldn't believe it was so bad, I had to do it again just to be sure it was as bad as I thought it was.   

Favorites: We will Rock You, Hair Spray,  Spectra's Cabaret and all the Aqua Theater shows and I also think Royal has some great shows on all their ships that have ice rinks.

Least Fav but sat through the entire performance once but never again: Cats, Moma Mia, Grease, and Flight.

Was confused maybe drunk (don't judge me) but left during the second half of the performance: The Gift.

Oddly, one of the best shows we've seen was Charo on Freedom back in '06.  People of my age know who she is.  We went to the show expecting the full Coochie-Coo act and waiting for a train wreck of a show.  The first part of the show was what we expected, but then she went off-stage ad came back on wearing formal wear and carrying a classic guitar.  She explained that prior to her Coochie days, she was trained by one of the great classical guitarists in the world.  She then spent the rest of the show displaying skills that I never imagined she had.  It was truly incredible and memorable.

20 minutes ago, PatsFanBrian said:

Oddly, one of the best shows we've seen was Charo on Freedom back in '06.  People of my age know who she is.  We went to the show expecting the full Coochie-Coo act and waiting for a train wreck of a show.  The first part of the show was what we expected, but then she went off-stage ad came back on wearing formal wear and carrying a classic guitar.  She explained that prior to her Coochie days, she was trained by one of the great classical guitarists in the world.  She then spent the rest of the show displaying skills that I never imagined she had.  It was truly incredible and memorable.

That's funny.  I don't really know who she is....except that she was a regular guest star on The Love Boat (which is the show that got me into cruising).

18 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Anthem.  Story is kinda goofy (but aren’t they all ?) but Queen music is really excellent.

I love Abba but the storyline in Mama Mia ! is so ridiculous that I just can’t get past it.

Favorite: We Will Rock You on Anthem & Hiro on Symphony 

Least Favorite: Mamma Mia on Allure

Rock You was a complete surprise because if you asked me if I was a Queen fan or if I could name any of their songs, save 1, I would have said Absolutely Not…I’m more of a Luther Vandross girl. Well, not only did I know all the songs, but, shockingly, knew the words too. It was absolutely the best show I had ever seen on a ship.

Hiro was the best AquaTheatre show I’ve seen so far…it was thrilling from start to finish!!

Now Mamma Mia….I grew up listening to Abba, loved their music, knew all the songs in the show, but for the life of me, I couldn’t figure out what the songs had to do with the play/show. I just couldn’t figure it out. I tried twice….once onboard and once in Las Vegas. Like you @WAAAYTOOO, I just couldn’t get past it. 

5 hours ago, PatsFanBrian said:

Charo, the early days: