3Night Dinning Package

Oranaman

When you first board go to one of the restaurants and talk to them. I think most restaurants can see reservations for other restaurants. I don't know what ship you are on but when we boarded Symphony last month they had people on the promenade helping with dinning reservations. 

I always get the three night package. As soon as I board, I go right to any restaurant host desk. I make all three of my reservations right there. But…if I really want a restaurant at a specific date and time, I’ll make that reservation in the Cruise Planner to make sure I lock it in. I’ll pay a little more for that reservation, but I don’t worry about rushing to get it booked after I board and may be disappointed when the particular time is unavailable.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm trying to understand this very thing before I buy the dining package.  For example, on the app there are currently no open times for Izumi Hibachi between 6-9pm any day of my 7 night cruise. I'm not sure if they hold times back until you are onboard for the folks who have the dining package, or can they fill up reservations entirely on the app purchases? I don't want to get the package if I can't eat at the restaurants I want without having to eat really early or really late. 

21 minutes ago, HawkeyeSarah said:

I'm trying to understand this very thing before I buy the dining package.  For example, on the app there are currently no open times for Izumi Hibachi between 6-9pm any day of my 7 night cruise. I'm not sure if they hold times back until you are onboard for the folks who have the dining package, or can they fill up reservations entirely on the app purchases? I don't want to get the package if I can't eat at the restaurants I want without having to eat really early or really late. 

Hibachi is notorious for selling out pre-cruise. The common suggestion I've seen for Izumi Hibachi is to book it through the cruise planner, then once on board, swing by guest services and get them to refund the pre-paid Hibachi reservation since you have a dinning package, but keep the reservation for you. 

I haven't seen anything specific to Royal holding back tables for dining packages. My WAG is that Royal knows an approximant amount of specialty dinning slots are available per sailing and limits them appropriately. This could mean, however, that your package gets you dinners at Johnny Rockets or Playmakers, instead of Hibachi or Chops, if you're not on the ball making reservations once aboard.

15 minutes ago, Rackham said:

The common suggestion I've seen for Izumi Hibachi is to book it through the cruise planner, then once on board, swing by guest services and get them to refund the pre-paid Hibachi reservation since you have a dinning package, but keep the reservation for you. 

100% concur with this recommendation if dining at Izumi Hibachi with all of the fam within a certain time range is important.  Yes, you are laying out more money up front but this is really the only way to guarantee a reservation for everyone.  Even Star Class are now advised to purchase their Hibachi (and Chef’s Table) reservations in advance of boarding to ensure a slot.  Once you are onboard you can get a refund on the pre-purchased full price reservations (most likely they will give you onboard credit for those reservation refunds).

22 hours ago, HawkeyeSarah said:

For example, on the app there are currently no open times for Izumi Hibachi between 6-9pm any day of my 7 night cruise.

They do usually open up hibachi for some times that aren't available on the site before the cruise, most notably for lunch reservations. Best thing to do is to go make reservations as soon as you board to ensure you can get a spot if none are open to pre-book before the cruise and it's a must do for you.

Also if you get onboard and for some reason can't make reservations at times that work for you, you can go to Guest Services and ask to be refunded for the dining package.