Drink package

11 minutes ago, Aron_Ross said:

Does the unlimited drink package allow for an extra shot in a mixed drink or does one have to pay for that?

As I've been told, the package only covers drinks up to a maximum of $13.00.  

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/what-is-the-deluxe-beverage-package

Q

What is the Deluxe Beverage Package?

A

The Deluxe Beverage Package allows guests to enjoy unlimited drinks and options all cruise long.* With a handpicked array of brands to choose from, you can toast to bottomless beverages with your preferred drink of choice. Check out some of our top-notch brands below.

• Cocktails / Spirits / Liqueurs / Beer
  • Bottled still and sparkling water
  • Wines by the glass
  • Fresh squeezed juices / Non-alcoholic cocktail
  • Premium coffees and teas
  • Fountain sodas / Coca-Cola Freestyle® beverages
  • Coca-Cola® souvenir cup included

* Package includes any single beverage item with a value up to $13. Plus, receive a 40% discount on bottled wines priced up to $100, and 20% discount on wines priced above $100

So, my guess is that since shots are priced separately, it would be considered as more than a "single" beverage.  But, you never know how generous a bartender is, how well trained he/she is, or what the ship's (beverage manager) philosophy is.  Also, you can only order one beverage at a time while using the beverage package.  So, an extra shot would be more than one at a time.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/beverage-package-sharing-policy

Q

Can I order multiple drinks at a time with Royal Caribbean's all-inclusive beverage packages?

A

No. As this is a personal package, only one beverage per guest will be served.

No, packages can be purchased by individual guests. All packages are for single guest use and cannot be shared by multiple people.

Any guest wishing to purchase an alcoholic beverage package must do so for all guests of legal drinking age in the same stateroom, for sailings on or after December 31st, 2017.

I was looking forward to the Deluxe Beverage Package, until I saw the price. Even with a 20% discount, it's still $80 per day on my trip. I've read that imported beers are $8 each, so I'd have to drink 11 beers every day for that to make sense, and that just doesn't seem wise.

15 minutes ago, memebag said:

I was looking forward to the Deluxe Beverage Package, until I saw the price. Even with a 20% discount, it's still $80 per day on my trip. I've read that imported beers are $8 each, so I'd have to drink 11 beers every day for that to make sense, and that just doesn't seem wise.

If you’re only drinking beer then you’re probably right, but don’t forget about things like premium coffee beverages, freshly squeezed juice, and bottled water. This last cruise we probably went through 40-50 bottles of water - all included with our package. 

2 hours ago, spursfreak21 said:

If you’re only drinking beer then you’re probably right, but don’t forget about things like premium coffee beverages, freshly squeezed juice, and bottled water. This last cruise we probably went through 40-50 bottles of water - all included with our package. 

That's the key - it's hard to drink only beer or hard liquor drinks every day to make it "pay off".  Taking advantage of the other benefits (I enjoyed the fresh squeezed orange juice with breakfast) it the way to go....and I'm pretty sure Matt mentions that in one or all of those videos.

The other advantage (for me anyway) with the drink package is that it encourages me to try new drinks.  If I get something and don't like it, I don't have to feel obligated to finish it because I laid out cash in a bar.  It's a good opportunity to explore.

2 hours ago, spursfreak21 said:

I thought of that, but the Refreshment Package includes all of the non-alcoholic stuff, and is only $30/day (with the 10% discount). So that leaves $50 for alcoholic drinks on top of all the shakes and whatnot. That still means I have to drink over a six pack of beer each day to make the Deluxe a good deal. And if I drink that much beer I won't want much of the other drinks.

So I bought the Refreshment Package and decided to find out once and for all how much chocolate shake I can really consume.

ETA: The other downside to the Deluxe package is the guy I'm rooming with doesn't want it, and they make you buy it for everyone in the cabin for some reason. I read that you can ask them to make an exception, but it sounds like a thing.

I usually drink 5-6 bottles a water a day $2.50/3 per), a glass of wine with dinner ($11/12 US), maybe one after dinner, and my ciders (which is a little over $9 if I buy it non package) If I'm with friends.. a shot of alcohol may/may not happen which just bumps the total. I'm D+ and can get free drinks, but on my last cruise, I tried that, I think I saved $50 bucks buying it per drink on board (w/refreshment pkg) vs the buying the ultimate beverage package pre cruise. As with all things, YMMV based on what you drink and the cost of the packages. 

Really depends on how you look at it. I like to get it so I don't have to think about my bill at the end. I can be picky about coffee  - for example - Harmony, hated the free coffee. Anthem, loved it. I do love a morning and possibly an afternoon specialty coffee. I drink a lot of water throughout the day and like to keep some in my room. A few of the days I may enjoy a mimosa or morning cocktail. Maybe a drink or two at the pool. Def a drink at dinner and possibly more after dinner depending on the night and who I'm with. For the record, I've never been drunk on a cruise ship and I don't like to be drunk in general. I have a low tolerance anyway. 

Add this all up and it basically works for me if I can get it at a price I'm okay with. 

Does anyone have any insight as to when the DDP tends to go on sale? I've been keeping my eye, but missed the BOGO 50% off a couple weeks ago.  We don't sail til February so I have time, but I want to get it locked down already lol

2 hours ago, KariO said:

Does anyone have any insight as to when the DDP tends to go on sale? I've been keeping my eye, but missed the BOGO 50% off a couple weeks ago.  We don't sail til February so I have time, but I want to get it locked down already lol

The percentages mean absolutely nothing. Don't even look at that number. Just look at the  price per person per day.  There's generally a cruise planner every few weeks.  But don't wait too long to purchase because, as you know, the price could go up instead of down, and you can always cancel/repurchase if it goes down again after you buy it.

11 minutes ago, SpeedNoodles said:

The percentages mean absolutely nothing. Don't even look at that number. Just look at the  price per person per day.  There's generally a cruise planner every few weeks.  But don't wait too long to purchase because, as you know, the price could go up instead of down, and you can always cancel/repurchase if it goes down again after you buy it.

Thank you! While I was waiting for my comment to post, I watched the YouTube videos you posted which were super helpful!

8 minutes ago, bonzo1975 said:

I believe @Mattsaid in one of his videos that you can contact RCI and request a DBP for one guest and get the refreshment package for the other guest, if I remember correctly  

Yes, you just have to call

3 hours ago, CruisingNewb said:

Ah...Maestro Matt...don't you mean have your TA call?  

No, in the case of the drink package you have to call. 

There's a phone number at the bottom of the Cruise Planner page.