Nonrefundable deposit Question

MG728

You should be able to rebook to a different cruise (that means not cancel) and only have to pay $100 penalty per room.  I would do it as soon as possible.  I had to do that yesterday for my upcoming August cruise.  It cost me $100 plus the new price difference of the old room to the new room.  And then today I called and saved $69 on my cruise fare because there is a sale today!

One more thing…if you feel the person you are talking to at Royal is not giving the proper info…tell them thanks but you will think about it and end the call.  Then call back and explain your situation again and hopefully the next person will be able to provide you with what you expect…which is no loss of deposit because you are simply changing your cruise not cancelling.

When I called yesterday the first person was giving me info that I did not believe was true and had I just gone with it I would have lost my full deposit plus paid the extra $100 plus the new fare.  Second person was not helpful either but the third call placed with a sweet rep who was wonderful and made my changes quickly and as cheaply as possible.  
Never give up…

32 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I guess my reading comprehension isn’t what it should be.  I was under the (incorrect, apparently) impression that the new penalty was $100 per person but it appears it is just $100 per booking ?  Awesome !

Well…I can’t say for sure!  I am booked in a double occupancy room but it’s just me.  I assumed it was $100 for the room but could it have been $100 penalty for just me?  We will see how @MG728 makes out tomorrow!  Thanks

51 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I guess my reading comprehension isn’t what it should be.  I was under the (incorrect, apparently) impression that the new penalty was $100 per person but it appears it is just $100 per booking ?  Awesome !

Pretty sure it's still $100 per person, that didn't change. What changed was they no longer give you any FCC if you cancel, they keep the entire deposit.

I booked this in early May, I'm not sure if it will meet the cut off date or not for the new FCC. There are 5 of us. It was my booking error, I'm not trying to negate any policies- just hoping to lose as little as possible and change my booking.

1 hour ago, PPPJJ-GCVAB said:

One more thing…if you feel the person you are talking to at Royal is not giving the proper info…tell them thanks but you will think about it and end the call.  Then call back and explain your situation again and hopefully the next person will be able to provide you with what you expect…which is no loss of deposit because you are simply changing your cruise not cancelling.

When I called yesterday the first person was giving me info that I did not believe was true and had I just gone with it I would have lost my full deposit plus paid the extra $100 plus the new fare.  Second person was not helpful either but the third call placed with a sweet rep who was wonderful and made my changes quickly and as cheaply as possible.  
Never give up…

It's sad you have to do this but I have also done this when I know the RC rep isn't correct about something. Just call back until you get someone that knows what is going on.

39 minutes ago, Sharla said:

Pretty sure it's still $100 per person, that didn't change. What changed was they no longer give you any FCC if you cancel, they keep the entire deposit.

Do you loose the whole deposit if at the time you cancel you reschedule (i guess that’s technically not a cancellation 😜) to a new date/time/ship?

56 minutes ago, Kathleen said:

Do you loose the whole deposit if at the time you cancel you reschedule (i guess that’s technically not a cancellation 😜) to a new date/time/ship?

That would be a change and not a cancellation. If you cancel, then the whole deposit is gone. If you change then it is just a fee. With five people on a booking it looks like with a NRD you can loose over $1000, but to change it would be $500 or less. 

1 hour ago, Ampurp85 said:

That would be a change and not a cancellation. If you cancel, then the whole deposit is gone. If you change then it is just a fee. With five people on a booking it looks like with a NRD you can loose over $1000, but to change it would be $500 or less. 

and @SharlaIf you had already booked a NRD before the change in rules, does the old rule apply of FCC minus $100 to those bookings? I guess this new policy sweetens the pot for booking at First Cruise while sailing as it is usually only a $100 deposit. Thanks in advance for your answers and patience!!

20 hours ago, Kathleen said:

and @SharlaIf you had already booked a NRD before the change in rules, does the old rule apply of FCC minus $100 to those bookings? I guess this new policy sweetens the pot for booking at First Cruise while sailing as it is usually only a $100 deposit. Thanks in advance for your answers and patience!!

It depends on when it was booked- before June 1 then it's back to the old rules. 

Hi All, I'm updating my post- it took me days to get through to an agent. I had booked through Costco travel and called them first.  I never complained about the uber long wait or my multiple calls and just asked nicely. I was fully prepared to possibly pay $100 per person and a rate increase if necessary.He did not charge me any fees and changed my reservation, and to make it even sweeter, the price of my rooms had gone down! I hope anyone else in this situation has the same results.

54 minutes ago, MG728 said:

Hi All, I'm updating my post- it took me days to get through to an agent. I had booked through Costco travel and called them first.  I never complained about the uber long wait or my multiple calls and just asked nicely. I was fully prepared to possibly pay $100 per person and a rate increase if necessary.He did not charge me any fees and changed my reservation, and to make it even sweeter, the price of my rooms had gone down! I hope anyone else in this situation has the same results.

Does Costco and other travel agencies reserve or hold staterooms at a "bulk rate" or "discounted rate" and resell the rooms later at a profit based on Royal's current pricing?  Royal's price usually goes up over time.   Maybe travel agencies aren't subject to Royal's policy for nonrefundable fares.  Do travel agencies keep these staterooms in their inventory a year or more in advance and sell them later?   Does this make sense? 

I'm just wondering how it works.  Maybe @Sharla would know.  I used a travel agency a long time ago and they imposed their own change fees when Royal didn't have any change fees.

47 minutes ago, Dad2Cue said:

Does Costco and other travel agencies reserve or hold staterooms at a "bulk rate" or "discounted rate" and resell the rooms later at a profit based on Royal's current pricing?  Royal's price usually goes up over time.   Maybe travel agencies aren't subject to Royal's policy for nonrefundable fares.  Do travel agencies keep these staterooms in their inventory a year or more in advance and sell them later?   Does this make sense? 

I'm just wondering how it works.  Maybe @Sharla would know.  I used a travel agency a long time ago and they imposed their own change fees when Royal didn't have any change fees.

I can't answer for other agencies. But- we do sometimes have bulk/group rates through our consortia, and that just benefits the guests that book on that sailing. Even if they can't get the rate they can get OBC and/or other amenities sometimes. 

The unsold rooms at the discounted rates are released back into general inventory closer to the sailing, but we don't profit from them, Royal does. I mean technically the higher the price the more the commission, but it's not that much of a difference to matter.

2 hours ago, MG728 said:

Honestly I would look at this later, because Royal Caribbean has been known to not charge the change fee and then tack it on later. You could have a refundable rate though and Costco just says it's non-refundable because they'll keep your money. I don't know how Costco works, just Royal.

But I have seen it many times that the change fee doesn't show up and then a month or two later it does.