No more duck in the MDR?

22 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Last week Duck L'Orange was substituted with Coq Au Vin, much to my disappointment.

Looking ahead to my cruise next month, the duck isn't even listed in the app anymore.

I hope they get that supply chain stuff worked out because that duck dish is one of my favorites

I had the Coq Au Vin on Wonder a few weeks back and it was really good.  I thought maybe it had been subbed in because Wonder was in Europe - there were other changes as well.  Pot Pies and Curries on the menu every night.

8 hours ago, wordell1 said:

I had the Coq Au Vin on Wonder a few weeks back and it was really good.  I thought maybe it had been subbed in because Wonder was in Europe - there were other changes as well.  Pot Pies and Curries on the menu every night.

Probably a supply issue. I'm sure it's not because of being in Europe because it was offered on my Odyssey sailing, just a couple of weeks before your sailing. Or maybe ship-specific? I was pleased to see the pies and curries, as those normally used to show up only on cruises out of the UK or with a large UK demographic on board.

PXL_20220509_170222572.thumb.jpg.899739a6d941909c88377a71ac39815a.jpg

2 hours ago, FionaMG said:

Probably a supply issue. I'm sure it's not because of being in Europe because it was offered on my Odyssey sailing, just a couple of weeks before your sailing. Or maybe ship-specific? I was pleased to see the pies and curries, as those normally used to show up only on cruises out of the UK or with a large UK demographic on board.

PXL_20220509_170222572.thumb.jpg.899739a6d941909c88377a71ac39815a.jpg

While I am a fan of Duck a L'Orange, I'm not as concerned about that as the fact that the menu no longer lists what items are gluten free -- traveling with DD who is celiac, and while I was not surprised to see that the app didn't show the GF options, the paper menus always had them.  Can anyone chime in and let me know which is the case?  At the very least, the shrimp cocktail, garden salad and creme brulee have always been standard gluten free options, plus others could be made that way (ie, sub a baked potato for the potato croquettes, that sort of thing)

23 minutes ago, MaryCS62 said:

While I am a fan of Duck a L'Orange, I'm not as concerned about that as the fact that the menu no longer lists what items are gluten free -- traveling with DD who is celiac, and while I was not surprised to see that the app didn't show the GF options, the paper menus always had them.  Can anyone chime in and let me know which is the case?  At the very least, the shrimp cocktail, garden salad and creme brulee have always been standard gluten free options, plus others could be made that way (ie, sub a baked potato for the potato croquettes, that sort of thing)

When we cruised in March there was a whole separate GF menu they would bring if you asked about it.

22 minutes ago, MaryCS62 said:

You can/should request that all his dinners be gluten free.  

Q

How does Royal Caribbean accommodate guests with special dietary requirements or gluten and other food allergies?

A

We make every effort to accommodate our guests' dietary requirements whenever possible.

We can accommodate dietary needs such as: Food allergies, Gluten-free, Kosher, Low-fat, and Low-sodium.

A variety of vegetarian Meals are available on all menus in the Main Dining Room and Windjammer Cafe every day. Guests do not need to make a special request for these meals.

Lactose-free/soy milk, ensure, and kosher meals are available at no extra charge. All you have to do is notify us at least 45 days prior to sailing (90 days for European/South American Itineraries).

Vegan menus are available upon request at the Main Dining Room. 

Kosher for Passover meal requests MUST be received 90 days in advance in order to be accommodated. Contact your travel advisor or Certified Vacation Planner and request that the remark be noted in your reservation details. If you made your reservation online at royalcaribbean.com you may add your request to the "update personal information." section.

You may also send an e-mail request to special_needs@rccl.com; please include in the e-mail the guests' names, booking number, ship name and sail date. E-mails will receive an automated response. We kindly ask that guests do not call Royal Caribbean International suppliers with specific questions.

Special meal requests that are received less than 45 days of sailing (90 days for European/Asian itineraries) are dependent on the ship's product availability. We will try to accommodate to the best of our ability.

55 minutes ago, wordell1 said:

You can/should request that all his dinners be gluten free.  

Q

How does Royal Caribbean accommodate guests with special dietary requirements or gluten and other food allergies?

A

We make every effort to accommodate our guests' dietary requirements whenever possible.

We can accommodate dietary needs such as: Food allergies, Gluten-free, Kosher, Low-fat, and Low-sodium.

A variety of vegetarian Meals are available on all menus in the Main Dining Room and Windjammer Cafe every day. Guests do not need to make a special request for these meals.

Lactose-free/soy milk, ensure, and kosher meals are available at no extra charge. All you have to do is notify us at least 45 days prior to sailing (90 days for European/South American Itineraries).

Vegan menus are available upon request at the Main Dining Room. 

Kosher for Passover meal requests MUST be received 90 days in advance in order to be accommodated. Contact your travel advisor or Certified Vacation Planner and request that the remark be noted in your reservation details. If you made your reservation online at royalcaribbean.com you may add your request to the "update personal information." section.

You may also send an e-mail request to special_needs@rccl.com; please include in the e-mail the guests' names, booking number, ship name and sail date. E-mails will receive an automated response. We kindly ask that guests do not call Royal Caribbean International suppliers with specific questions.

Special meal requests that are received less than 45 days of sailing (90 days for European/Asian itineraries) are dependent on the ship's product availability. We will try to accommodate to the best of our ability.

We do, and we've had great success, but it was a heck of a lot easier when we could see ahead of time what the GF options were.

2 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

My wife is GF and I've never seen a GF menu

How recently have you sailed, and were the items marked as GF on the menu ?(that's what we are used to seeing - usually the symbol of a shaft of wheat, which always amused me, as it should have a big X through it --ie, no wheat 😃)

1 hour ago, MaryCS62 said:

How recently have you sailed, and were the items marked as GF on the menu ?(that's what we are used to seeing - usually the symbol of a shaft of wheat, which always amused me, as it should have a big X through it --ie, no wheat 😃)

Yes, that's right. They were still marked on the menus on our Thanksgiving cruise on Adventure just before Covid hit. I can't remember if they had them on our Harmony cruise this past September. I didn't take any pics of the menus on that one. So I don't know if it's ship-specific or if the symbols have disappeared fleet-wide in the restart.

I'm lucky not to need the symbols but it does seem very bad not to have them on the menus for people who do.

20191123_204615.thumb.jpg.65038bfbe0d90b9b2495b1ac10294a2f.jpg

5 hours ago, MaryCS62 said:

I've seen that, but not a separate menu

Let's get back on track to the original subject.  I sure hope they are not replacing the duck with a chicken dish.

One of the reasons I like to cruise is we eat food not on our normal menu at home like duck, lamb and even warm water lobster.

In the midwest we have plenty of great beef, pork and chicken, so I don't really want that on vacation.  Btw we also cruise to escape the cold winters, so it's not a complete deal breaker.

Just stepped off the Mariner TODAY, the duck was bye bye. Instead it was the Coq Au Vin. No lobster night as expected on this 5 night sailing. My crew did have it at the Beach Club with the insects & you could still order it (lobster)  for 29.95 in the MDR. 

I noticed as with my past Allure sailing there were a great deal of substitutions.

I. Love. Duck. 

I too was disappointed by the lack of duck on the menu (the duck terrine (pictured) was fantastic though....we ordered 2!). My husband was not disappointed as he is not a duck fan and quite enjoyed the coq au vin. 

(I actually visit a major duck processing facility daily as part of my job (I work in gov food inspection/safety). I should tell 'em they should get their product on Royal to make all of us duck lovers happy 😆)

20220602_185601.jpg

5 hours ago, Rakaia said:

I. Love. Duck. 

I too was disappointed by the lack of duck on the menu (the duck terrine (pictured) was fantastic though....we ordered 2!). My husband was not disappointed as he is not a duck fan and quite enjoyed the coq au vin. 

(I actually visit a major duck processing facility daily as part of my job (I work in gov food inspection/safety). I should tell 'em they should get their product on Royal to make all of us duck lovers happy 😆)

20220602_185601.jpg

I also enjoyed the Coq au Vin. I wouldn't normally order the duck, so for me it was a good change.

I do fell bad for the duck lovers though