Majesty Stuck in Port 2/13/2017

I have mixed feeelings about this one: Once you are on the ship, the fun starts. Granted, RCCL should have control over wear and tear on life jackets, so this really shouldn't have happened, but I am not sure this is the worst cruise experience ever. I haven't read about RCCL compensation to these passengers, but I think I probably would have had just as much fun stuck in Port Canaveral as i would if the ship had left on schedule. My two cents worth, and I don't even have two cents...

I know details are sketchy and we likely will never find out what really happened, but that being said,

There are more than enough life jackets for every passenger in their stateroom.

There are extra life jackets in those white fiberglass containers along the wall during the muster drill.

And each lifeboat has 150 life jackets on board.

You mean to tell me all of those are out of date???

I hope RCL takes the "bad" life jackets and brings them to Syria, there are many people there who would be happy to have one whether the strobe light works or not.

Details?!?! Let's gossip about the other guys!

I have a friend on the Star and it apparently had to be towed by tug 10 hours back to port. My brother's friend on the previous cruise experienced similar issues to the point that they were offered a refund, future cruise credit, and $1,000 OBC. Apparently, though, the one pushing hardest for more compensation was kicked off the ship for creating a disturbance. Of course, second hand information, but I trust the source.

Regarding the Majesty, it's disappointing that this happened and I hope Royal does an internal review to determine how this occurred as it shouldn't have.

I had read something that they were only offering to pay for their flights home up to $300 at the next port.

I think this was a long cruise...16 days or something and this was the second issue on the cruise already?

I just skimmed a news article or two about it so not firsthand information.

Either way, these issues are not fun. But I would rather be stuck in port I think. Although it did say that the power on the ship was still working and bars/restaurants/entertainment was proceeding as normal so really....

Stuck in port or not, still beats being at work. Have a few drinks, chill in the viking crown, have a few drinks, load up in the windjammer, have a few drinks, enjoy some live tunes or a show, and have a few more drinks.

And then a few more...

Nothing like a positive attitude!

No kidding. I was reading some complaints by people onboard. You'd think they were on the Triumph...

If you don't mind me asking, what's the issue with Triumph?  I don't follow Carnival ships.  

The reason I ask is because my wife and I are considering a quick 5 day this summer on Triumph since it goes to Progresso, which is as close as you can get to Chichen Itza via cruise ship.  Basically, the thought isn't "we're taking a cruise!", it's "we're going to Chichen Itza, we just happen to be going there by ship".

I haven't been on it, so I can't comment directly. My wife and I have looked at it many times as a way to sneak in an extra inexpensive cruise. I have seen the triumph docked in Cozumel -- They seem to have all the little Booze Cruise ships huddled together like a pod of whales. Made for a great picture.  I'd say go for it.

No kidding. I was reading some complaints by people onboard. You'd think they were on the Triumph...

Totally misread this as Trump the first time around.

Regarding the Triumph, I'd go on her. She was totally retrofitted after her incident and had some nice new features added. I was pleasantly surprised with Carnival the last two times I sailed on their ships, which I couldn't say a couple of decades ago.

Totally misread this as Trump the first time around.

Regarding the Triumph, I'd go on her. She was totally retrofitted after her incident and had some nice new features added. I was pleasantly surprised with Carnival the last two times I sailed on their ships, which I couldn't say a couple of decades ago.

I booked it.  A the price we are paying, as long as the ship doesn't sink I'm still ahead over booking a hotel in a nearby city and paying for meals.  The kids have the week off school, we can visit New Orleans and then 5 days onboard with stops at Cozumel and Progresso (for Chichen Itza)... a nice way to celebrate the Labor Day weekend.

I saw a headline on Twitter from Fox News declaring that "Majesty passengers were stranded," or something very similar.  "Stranded" seems to be a bit of a stretch since you're on a functioning cruise ship.

Reports indicate that passengers could leave with full refund or stay and get a 25% onboard credit for the missed day and 25% in a future cruise credit.  Even though this shouldn't have happened in my mind (I really hope they figure out what went wrong internally), I do think this is fair compensation especially given that the cruise contract is so liberal.  Royal could scrap the whole itinerary and their not obligated to refund a dime under the contract that we all agree to when we book.